Covid-19

JCon

18 hours ago, Tracker said:

The province has stopped the PCR lab tests. If what the doctor said is true, and I do not doubt it, the rapid Antigen tests are almost useless. As our premier said a month ago, we're on our own.

It depends what rationale the comment is based on.  Was the doctor talking about testing people with symptoms? Or were they referring to testing both symptomatic and asymotomatic? 

19 hours ago, JCon said:

Seriously???? My wife gets a Covid test every time she goes to the hospital, which has been weekly. Now, they're going to stop that? 

I can't even imagine how crappy the next 4 to 6 months are going to be. Covid rising and the gov't pretending that there's nothing to do about it. 

I was hoping that my boys could live a somewhat normal life, with activities and school but without testing and without masks, that won't be possible. 

C'mon man! If you don't do testing- the number of covid cases goes down. 

Get. With. The. Program.

On 2022-03-10 at 11:24 AM, Noeller said:

read a bunch of stuff yesterday about Omi V2 starting to take over and UK. after some decline, now seeing rapid uptick in hospitalizations and ICU again. Removal of mitigation measures not helping and will cause a lot of undue stress for docs/nurses/hospitals over here this spring/summer....

Denmark was first to "Freedom UP"  

Edited by Wideleft

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Don't know if anyone is aware, but vaccine supersites are starting to shut down.  Brandon Keystone Centre, Morden, Main St. Winnipeg (Autopac location) are all done already with more to come.

Denmark was first to "Freedom UP"  

Do not worry, our Health Minister is an optimist:

Manitoba Health Minister Audrey Gordon said she did not envision more cases at all.

"I tend to have a very positive outlook. I wake up every day that way and I walk through the day that way," she told reporters. 

"I'm going to continue with that optimism, not just for myself, but for all Manitobans, that we will continue to see the trend decreasing once the mask mandate is removed on the 15th."

Edited by WildPath

where we have a bit of advantage over the European trends (and why those trends aren't always indicative of what happens here) is population density. It's likely we're going to see an uptick, but likely not as severe because we're so spread out in Canada. At any rate, I'm 3x vaxx (and ready for the 4th this summer) and have just kicked Omi V1, so I'm feeling pretty ready for whatever happens next. 

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

We all die eventually and you shouldn't live in fear. Covid at this point gets a who cares from me. I'm over it.  

As a person with some empathy for others, it has much less to do with personal concern than concern about people on waiting lists for health care, the immunocompromised, those with long COVID, kids under 5, teachers, nurses, doctors, home care workers etc.

Being "over it" isn't going to make it go away.   Being over it is just going to extend the significant challenges the world is facing.

30 minutes ago, Goalie said:

We all die eventually and you shouldn't live in fear. Covid at this point gets a who cares from me. I'm over it.  

As a Canadian with a good job and financial security, I care little for the suffering going on in 3rd world countries. I have clean running water and access to abundant food and health care. I'm not sure why developing countries need any financial support. I'm over it.

4 minutes ago, WildPath said:

As a Canadian with a good job and financial security, I care little for the suffering going on in 3rd world countries. I have clean running water and access to abundant food and health care. I'm not sure why developing countries need any financial support. I'm over it.

Good for you making this not about covid and about something else. 

Some of you are scared... that's cool. I'm all vaxxed up 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Good for you making this not about covid and about something else. 

Some of you are scared... that's cool. I'm all vaxxed up 

My point is to criticize what you are saying for only worrying about yourself and how the situation works out for you. Fortunately most people have some empathy to others and realize that some people are more vulnerable and do not live under the same reality. Portraying it as scared/not scared is completely missing the point.

This pandemic has never been about us as individuals but about society as a collective. It'll never cease to amaze me how many selfish assholes are out there thinking this is about them. This is about everyone else around us, and has been since the beginning. Nothing is over until the virus says it's over. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

This pandemic has never been about us as individuals but about society as a collective. It'll never cease to amaze me how many selfish assholes are out there thinking this is about them. This is about everyone else around us, and has been since the beginning. Nothing is over until the virus says it's over. 

Bingo, bango, bongo.

Due to this pandemic that has killed scores of human beings and people's livelihoods, I, with many others, have severely overestimated a segment of the world's population's ability to grasp/accept/understand etc etc etc what is involved (which really isn't much in developed countries like Canada) in being a socially responsible citizen under the guidance of well respected infectious disease/health experts while still keeping our individual rights and freedoms intact.  

34 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Bingo, bango, bongo.

Due to this pandemic that has killed scores of human beings and people's livelihoods, I, with many others, have severely overestimated a segment of the world's population's ability to grasp/accept/understand etc etc etc what is involved (which really isn't much in developed countries like Canada) in being a socially responsible citizen under the guidance of well respected infectious disease/health experts while still keeping our individual rights and freedoms intact.  

We can see this in the signs people like to display - "I have an immune system" "Quarantine the sick, not the healthy"

I can never be sure if it is because of a huge gap in scientific understanding or just plain selfishness. Regardless, I'm not sure why they are so eager and proud to self-identify in either category.

14 minutes ago, WildPath said:

We can see this in the signs people like to display - "I have an immune system" "Quarantine the sick, not the healthy"

I can never be sure if it is because of a huge gap in scientific understanding or just plain selfishness. Regardless, I'm not sure why they are so eager and proud to self-identify in either category.

Knowing I’m missing some complexities, the why lies in the social determinants of health like their genetics, how they’ve been raised, their environmental supports or lack of, coping mechanisms, access to education etc.

19 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

determinants of health like their genetics

Off topic and not what you are getting at, but this out of context bit caught my attention. Fun fact (and anyone who is more educated in science/medicine can correct me if I'm wrong) - our immune systems vary widely and have different strengths/weaknesses even if we do have "healthy" immune systems. I believe a key factor is MHC molecules (class 1 & 2) that vary in ability to recognize/spotlight various intruders. Some people have immune systems that are better at facing bacterial foes, while others are better with viruses. Even more interesting, is that we can sense the immune systems of others (through smell) and we are attracted to mates who have different immune strengths/weaknesses than ourselves, in this way our children get some hybrid advantages.

Again, if anyone has a better medical/science background to either compliment/contradict this, I would love to know, but this is my reading and I have found it incredibly interesting and would point towards why some individuals are hit hard by Covid despite being otherwise completely healthy and some who are elderly and have significant risk factors can find it to be a mild cold. I will again recommend the book Immune by Phillip Dettmer for anyone interested in how the immune system functions, but does not have a thorough medical/scientific background. I probably try to slip in information from that book into conversations way more than I should. Like now.