Covid-19

JCon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/china-hong-kong-covid-surge-1.6384169

China banned most people from leaving a coronavirus-hit northeastern province and mobilized military reservists Monday as the fast-spreading "stealth Omicron" variant fuels the country's biggest outbreak since the start of the pandemic two years ago.

The National Health Commission reported 1,337 locally transmitted cases in the latest 24-hour period across dozens of mainland cities, including 895 in the industrial province of Jilin. A government notice said that police permission would be required for people to leave the area or travel from one city to another.

Hong Kong on Monday reported 26,908 new cases and 249 deaths in its latest 24-hour period. 

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Conservatives in MB In for a rude awakening next election. They are done 

Our vaccination rate is higher than Denmarks... Denmark is also a country not a province and it has way more ppl than Manitoba does so not sure why ppl using them as example 

Um, what? Why are we comparing to regions? 

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Conservatives in MB In for a rude awakening next election. They are done 

Our vaccination rate is higher than Denmarks... Denmark is also a country not a province and it has way more ppl than Manitoba does so not sure why ppl using them as example 

Should have stopped after the first sentence.  COVID doesn't care about countries or provinces.

Denmark is 81% fully vaxxed with 88% of those eligible been vaxxed at least once.  4,746,722 of 5,828,401 fully vaxxed.

Manitoba is 82.4% fully vaxxed.

*"Fully vaxxed" means 2 doses.

Population density argument goes out the window when you consider that most of Manitoba lives in Winnipeg.

41 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Should have stopped after the first sentence.  COVID doesn't care about countries or provinces.

Denmark is 81% fully vaxxed with 88% of those eligible been vaxxed at least once.  4,746,722 of 5,828,401 fully vaxxed.

Manitoba is 82.4% fully vaxxed.

*"Fully vaxxed" means 2 doses.

Population density argument goes out the window when you consider that most of Manitoba lives in Winnipeg.

Facts matter. 

Just because some people are bored with Covid and just want to move on, that does not mean it's not going to return. 

I guarantee within a few months, our elected officials are going to be up there failing to explain why we're back under lockdowns and the hospitals are being overwhelmed. 

"Woulda, coulda, shoulda" is their answer. 

Edited by JCon

2 hours ago, JCon said:

I guarantee within a few months, our elected officials are going to be up there failing to explain why we're back under lockdowns and the hospitals are being overwhelmed. 

Let's hope the MLAs that have felt they have gotten comfy in easy-win seats will be saying that to themselves after the next election. Maybe starting with a shock in your riding....

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Facts matter. 

Just because some people are bored with Covid and just want to move on, that does not mean it's not going to return. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we're right back in the thick of another spike within the the next few weeks, to be honest. Easter Weekend could be compromised, IMO. I sincerely hope I'm way off but the last two years have my confidence all but shattered in the vast majority of our "leaders" in positions of power.

45 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if we're right back in the thick of another spike within the the next few weeks, to be honest. Easter Weekend could be compromised, IMO. I sincerely hope I'm way off but the last two years have my confidence all but shattered in the vast majority of our "leaders" in positions of power.

You're right that the cases will spike again, you're wrong that anything will be "comprimised". The governments are done shutting anything down. Numbers will go up and down and people will just live with it. 

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

Let's hope the MLAs that have felt they have gotten comfy in easy-win seats will be saying that to themselves after the next election. Maybe starting with a shock in your riding....

I find it disheartening that someone like Obby  Khan who appears to be reasonably intelligent, would first run for a party that has a long history of racial intolerance and then parroting a catchphrase synonymous with a disgraced premier who fumbled the pandemic responses so as to not alienate his core supporters whose shoe sizes are roughly similar to their IQs.

Edited by Tracker

People will get sick for sure. Went to freshco an hour ago. I wore my mask (I know right.) In total if there were 50 people there half weren't masked. Lots of the younger dummies at the time. Went to pay credit card at bank ATM style.. no mask.  I think myself personally... longer than 10 minutes? Masked. Less than? Depends on circumstance. Hopefully people are wrong but man i worked in public places and people are disgusting to be honest so yeah... gloves at grocery store? I'm that guy cuz ive worked at them and seen the nasty nasty things 

Edited by Goalie

I honestly don't quite understand where you guys are coming from

The best protection is vaccination - anyone who is not yet vaccinated is probably not going to get the jab - continuing the mandates is not going to change that

The vast majority of vaccinated people - are quite frankly not going to die

28 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The best protection is vaccination - anyone who is not yet vaccinated is probably not going to get the jab - continuing the mandates is not going to change that

For me, it's a VERY small ask to maintain protections (mitigation measures) to protect the most vulnerable among us who might actually die. Wearing a mask is the most innocuous, basic thing I could so to protect someone who's immunocompromised and could die, even after being vaccinated. I'm perfectly fine with any and all measures they want to implement. Vaxx passports shouldn't have been abandoned... They should have been made stricter. 

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For me, it's a VERY small ask to maintain protections (mitigation measures) to protect the most vulnerable among us who might actually die. Wearing a mask is the most innocuous, basic thing I could so to protect someone who's immunocompromised and could die, even after being vaccinated. I'm perfectly fine with any and all measures they want to implement. Vaxx passports shouldn't have been abandoned... They should have been made stricter. 

The vast majority of Canadians are vaccinated, boosted and living in a population with a very high vaccination rate

There really isn't any better protection available   

56 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

1) Not just about death

2) Not all people can get vaccinated

3) Some vaccinated people are still at risk of severe outcomes

Yes we really need to talk more about Long Covid and those "years after the fact" effects. There's research coming in every day that suggests people who had covid, even with mild symptoms, see their brain shrink and possibility of early onset Alzheimer's. I can't stress enough how everyone needs to do everything they can to not get covid ever, and how we need to protect everyone as much as humanly possible.