Covid-19

JCon

7 hours ago, Noeller said:

Got a close contact at work test positive today. I'm triple vaxxed and wear a KN95 any time I'm not on the air, so my fingers are crossed. Did a RAT tonight and was negative... Will test again this weekend. 

My paramedic friend tells me the KN95 is not as good as just a regular medical mask.  The N95 is, but not the KN95. 

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

I hate being that guy but of those 6 deaths how many were vaxxed or didn't have severe health issues prior? Cuz my understanding from ppl who have had it and currently do Is... it's basically the worst flu you can get and if you are atleast double vaxxed (even single in some cases) you really will be fine unless underlying issues. I have several nurse friends (turns out all the girl friends became nurses) (sure seems that way lol) and they pretty much have been consistent with the... if you have some protection aka are vaxxed atleast one dose but preferably 2.. you will be ok and likely not even need hospital care. 

This, to me, is why they are lifting restrictions.  Those who don't have their shots are not going to get them. 

https://news.yahoo.com/in-warning-to-us-covid-rates-soar-after-denmark-lifts-all-restrictions-183342093.html

At the beginning of February, Denmark became the first major country to lift the last of its COVID-19 restrictions and effectively declare its part in the pandemic over.

Around the world, and especially in the United States, Denmark’s “liberation” from indoor mask mandates, vaccine passports and nightclub closures was heralded as a watershed moment — the shape of things to come. Democratic governors across the U.S. started rescinding their own mask rules a few days later.

“This marks the transition to a new era for all of us, because Denmark will once again be an open society, completely open,” said Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen. “We dare to believe that we are now through the critical phase."

Since then, however, Denmark has continued to record more COVID-19 cases per capita than nearly anywhere else in the world, and both COVID hospitalizations and deaths have shot up by about a third.

“Not looking good in Denmark,” Dr. Eric Topol, founder and director of the Scripps Translational Institute, tweeted Sunday, sharing several charts that terminated in near-vertical upward lines. “Deaths are now 67% of peak, with a steep ascent.”

But is that the right way to read the numbers? In response to Topol’s tweet — and others like it — Danish experts took to Twitter to object.

“Those data do not capture the epidemic situation in Denmark adequately,” tweeted political scientist Michael Bang Petersen, who advises the Danish government and leads the country’s largest study of pandemic behavior.

“Hospital burden in regards to COVID-19 is still low compared to former waves, and mortality is low,” Søren Neermark, an official at the Danish Health Authority, went on to explain.

“Test-positive admitted in Denmark” — that is, the number of people who are hospitalized with COVID but not necessarily because of it — “reflects high incidence in society, but is not the best current indicator for the burden of COVID-19.”

Edited by blue_gold_84

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

My paramedic friend tells me the KN95 is not as good as just a regular medical mask.  The N95 is, but not the KN95. 

This, to me, is why they are lifting restrictions.  Those who don't have their shots are not going to get them. 

The regular medical masks are only as good as the seal around your face... most people have a big gap on the sides where the ear loops are.  If that's not sealed to your face, it doesn't keep anything out from the sides.

Apparently the CDC ranks them about the same: https://www.cbsnews.com/essentials/n95-kn95-surgical-cloth-mask-differences/ as long as the KN95 masks that you have are genuine.

my KN95 (a base layer in a 2-mask system for me) is excellent. And anyone who says that a 3rd dose of vaccine doesn't do anything is just dumb and possibly ignorant. Getting your booster shot is HUGE in terms of protection. The data is very clear. 

COVID "long-haulers" may have finally found relief in inexpensive, over-the-counter drugs. Small studies suggest over-the-counter antihistamines can relieve long COVID symptoms

Two women have recovered from post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC), a condition more commonly known as long COVID — and researchers believe that inexpensive, over-the-counter antihistamines were the reason.

The news comes from a report published this month in The Journal for Nurse Practitioners which describes the recovery of two middle-aged women who, by chance, found that antihistamines greatly improved their daily functions after suffering from long Covid.

The research will be welcomed by sufferers of long COVID, of which there are many. Up to 10 percent of those who contract COVID-19 have long-term symptoms long after the virus has cleared their body, according to University of Alabama researchers. The United States population has had a cumulative 78 million cases of COVID-19, meaning around 8 million Americans have long Covid symptoms long after the virus has cleared their system. Long Covid sufferers experience all kinds of different symptoms, though the most common include brain fog, psychiatric disorders, loss of taste and smell, fatigue and lack of energy. Long Covid appears to affect children and adults in equal measure. 

In this latest study, both women who recovered from long Covid took over-the-counter antihistamines for different reasons aside from their COVID-19 symptoms. The first woman had an allergy to dairy which was triggered by eating cheese. Prior to her January 2020 COVID-19 infection, she was healthy and active; after, she could no longer tolerate exercise, had prolonged chest pain, headaches, brain fog, fatigue, and a rash.

The morning after she took an antihistamine for her dairy allergy, she noticed considerable relief in her fatigue and ability to concentrate. But in the next 72 hours, when she wasn't taking an antihistamine, her fatigue and brain fog returned. The woman self-administered diphenhydramine and observed an improvement in symptoms once again.

Over the next six months, she noticed many of her other symptoms — like the rashes — were improving as well. Now, she reports she's back to 90 percent of her pre-infection functioning ability, including exercising 1 to 2 hours 5 to 6 times a week.

The second woman, who was similarly active and healthy prior to COVID-19, likely contracted COVID-19 from her child who was unwell with COVID-19 symptoms. While a PCR test came back negative at first for COVID-19, she was clinically diagnosed when she developed chills, shortness of breath, chest pain , and a fever. At first, her symptoms persisted for three months. During the course of this time, she also suffered from Covid toe, abdominal pain, and rashes.

Nearly 13 months after the onset of the infection, she substituted her usual allergy medication with diphenhydramine. The next morning, she also noticed a significant relief in her fatigue and brain fog. Since then, she has been taking 25 milligrams of diphenhydramine at night and 180 milligrams of fexofenadine in the morning and is back to exercising and feeling better. Both fexofenadine and diphenhydramine are common over-the-counter anti-histamine drugs.

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

COVID "long-haulers" may have finally found relief in inexpensive, over-the-counter drugs. Small studies suggest over-the-counter antihistamines can relieve long COVID symptoms

Two women have recovered from post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC), a condition more commonly known as long COVID — and researchers believe that inexpensive, over-the-counter antihistamines were the reason.

The news comes from a report published this month in The Journal for Nurse Practitioners which describes the recovery of two middle-aged women who, by chance, found that antihistamines greatly improved their daily functions after suffering from long Covid.

The research will be welcomed by sufferers of long COVID, of which there are many. Up to 10 percent of those who contract COVID-19 have long-term symptoms long after the virus has cleared their body, according to University of Alabama researchers. The United States population has had a cumulative 78 million cases of COVID-19, meaning around 8 million Americans have long Covid symptoms long after the virus has cleared their system. Long Covid sufferers experience all kinds of different symptoms, though the most common include brain fog, psychiatric disorders, loss of taste and smell, fatigue and lack of energy. Long Covid appears to affect children and adults in equal measure. 

In this latest study, both women who recovered from long Covid took over-the-counter antihistamines for different reasons aside from their COVID-19 symptoms. The first woman had an allergy to dairy which was triggered by eating cheese. Prior to her January 2020 COVID-19 infection, she was healthy and active; after, she could no longer tolerate exercise, had prolonged chest pain, headaches, brain fog, fatigue, and a rash.

The morning after she took an antihistamine for her dairy allergy, she noticed considerable relief in her fatigue and ability to concentrate. But in the next 72 hours, when she wasn't taking an antihistamine, her fatigue and brain fog returned. The woman self-administered diphenhydramine and observed an improvement in symptoms once again.

Over the next six months, she noticed many of her other symptoms — like the rashes — were improving as well. Now, she reports she's back to 90 percent of her pre-infection functioning ability, including exercising 1 to 2 hours 5 to 6 times a week.

The second woman, who was similarly active and healthy prior to COVID-19, likely contracted COVID-19 from her child who was unwell with COVID-19 symptoms. While a PCR test came back negative at first for COVID-19, she was clinically diagnosed when she developed chills, shortness of breath, chest pain , and a fever. At first, her symptoms persisted for three months. During the course of this time, she also suffered from Covid toe, abdominal pain, and rashes.

Nearly 13 months after the onset of the infection, she substituted her usual allergy medication with diphenhydramine. The next morning, she also noticed a significant relief in her fatigue and brain fog. Since then, she has been taking 25 milligrams of diphenhydramine at night and 180 milligrams of fexofenadine in the morning and is back to exercising and feeling better. Both fexofenadine and diphenhydramine are common over-the-counter anti-histamine drugs.

Reading a book about the immune system (Immune by Philipp Dettmer). Did not realize the impact some diseases can have on our bodies even after we have cleared them. According to the book, measles can basically wipe out a lot of your immune cells that remember how to fight infections/diseases that you have already had. So while most people will cope alright with measles, the challenging thing is that your body will not know how to fight previously known enemies and this includes enemies that your body has come to know through vaccines. This is especially dangerous as the anti-vax movement gains steam(which is likely even more popular with Covid). Additionally, previous mono infection (which 90% of people have had by the age of 20 in developed countries), is linked to other conditions such as MS, IBD and type 1 diabetes later in life.

The long term consequences, which I assume many of them are unknown, are fairly concerning to me with Covid. We already know children are more likely to develop type 1 diabetes and I'm assuming more lasting consequences will play out over time. Its good that we are learning more how to treat long Covid, but I would really like to know how strong the correlation between Covid infection is with later diseases and how much a strong/weak case of Covid changes these risks (along with how much vaccination would act as a preventative, if any).

Well, add me to the list. I'm the second most COVID-safe person I know....never go anywhere other than the office and once a week to the grocery store.... Aaaand I tested positive yesterday afternoon (and again this morning). So far just a mild cold. Had a slight tickle cough yesterday... Today is a little more sinus-headache-y and less cough. Hopefully back to 100% by the end of the week. Thankfully able to work from home this week... 

Edited by Noeller

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Well, add me to the list. I'm the second most COVID-safe person I know....never go anywhere other than the office and once a week to the grocery store.... Aaaand I tested positive yesterday afternoon (and again this morning). So far just a mild cold. Had a slight tickle cough yesterday... Today is a little more sinus-headache-y and less cough. Hopefully back to 100% by the end of the week. Thankfully able to work from home this week... 

Good luck. I had Delta and I wouldn't have wanted to get too much sicker. But apparentlly omicron is pretty mild if you're boosted.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

A couple people I know that had it recently felt that it helped to keep active. Did a bunch of stairs inside the house to keep the lungs working seemed to get them over it better it faster than another friend that laid around. 

5 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No posts since Tuesday?

Nearly half of the 500 million free COVID-19 tests that the Biden administration recently made available to Americans still haven’t been claimed https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/nearly-half-of-bidens-500m-free-covid-tests-still-unclaimed/

Only about 60% of Americans are double-vaxxed. Stupid or what?

2 hours ago, GCJenks said:

A couple people I know that had it recently felt that it helped to keep active. Did a bunch of stairs inside the house to keep the lungs working seemed to get them over it better it faster than another friend that laid around. 

Have plans to do some chores in the yard when not working. Fresh air ALWAYS helps! 

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Have plans to do some chores in the yard when not working. Fresh air ALWAYS helps! 

Had it about a month ago with similar symptoms to what you described.  Got a little worse over the course of 3 days, day 4 felt much better and then it hit hardest on day 5.  All in all, not too bad, but sinus congestion and a little trouble breathing for that one day was enough for me to know that I was very glad to have had the vaccine.

I've followed Manitoba's coverage of COVID data throughout the pandemic very closely, and compared it to AB's, and it's night and day. I know  you guys have had ups and downs, but let me tell you, I absolutely LOVE Roussin, Reimer (and even Pallister) compared to our Hinshaw (CMOH), Shandro/Copping (Health Min's) and Kenney. I'd trade ya's any day.....