Covid-19

JCon

7 hours ago, pigseye said:

Only because I had to correct an error. 

Now I'm done with it, too offensive to some. 

Yeah, it's almost like those of us here with the capability of rational thought are offended by your insufferable stupidity in every single post you make.

And another thing: COVID-19 is not a flu virus. Use your brain.

10 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Yeah, it's almost like those of us here with the capability of rational thought are offended by your insufferable stupidity in every single post you make.

And another thing: COVID-19 is not a flu virus. Use your brain.

My guess is this same person posts on other sites with people of similar ilk laughing at how dumb we are and how triggered we get. He softens it up here by using the word offended.

14 hours ago, 17to85 said:

No death is insignificant. And how do you magically protect the vulnerable when everyone is a carrier? 

We have essentially drilled down to the core of who you are... you don't value the lives of your fellow human beings. 

Congratulations. 

It's the Swedish approach and it makes the most sense whether you agree with it or not, soon they will have herd immunity and everyone will be safe. 

18 hours ago, pigseye said:

Now I'm done with it...

18 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I'm certain I could go double or nothing and win the bet again. You'll be back posting something soon enough. Can't help yourself.

36 minutes ago, pigseye said:

It's the Swedish approach and it makes the most sense whether you agree with it or not, soon they will have herd immunity and everyone will be safe. 

Apparently still not “done with it” 

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

It's questionable that it is the most sensible course of action for Sweden... and Sweden is not a good comparable country anyway. They have a very robust social safety net because of their investment in it and high taxes. Compare that with America for example where people struggle to get healthcare at the best of times.... 

It's just another bad faith argument by people who care more about their own lives not changing than they do about their fellow people.

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's questionable that it is the most sensible course of action for Sweden... and Sweden is not a good comparable country anyway. They have a very robust social safety net because of their investment in it and high taxes. Compare that with America for example where people struggle to get healthcare at the best of times.... 

It's just another bad faith argument by people who care more about their own lives not changing than they do about their fellow people.

My life hasn't changed at all, essential service, haven't missed a day of work. Selfishness plays no part in my argument.

I just disagree with the methods our government has chosen to use. Our only hope of ending this thing under the current method is a vaccine, which is still months or years away if ever. No contingency plan if that fails. But if this lockdown goes on for months/years it won't matter anyways, we will be die from famine and anarchy. 

16 minutes ago, pigseye said:

My life hasn't changed at all, essential service, haven't missed a day of work. Selfishness plays no part in my argument.

I just disagree with the methods our government has chosen to use. Our only hope of ending this thing under the current method is a vaccine, which is still months or years away if ever. No contingency plan if that fails. But if this lockdown goes on for months/years it won't matter anyways, we will be die from famine and anarchy. 

No this is wrong. Herd immunity will be achieved through gradual re-openings as opposed to the try and infect everyone all at once method. The way they are doing it is to avoid overwhelming health care so we can treat people who need it. 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The way they are doing it is to avoid overwhelming health care so we can treat people who need it. 

This must be a half dozen times someone has had to mention this fact. People talking about herd immunity as if they haven’t heard this concept before. It’s no secret that practically every country in the world has used the same thinking, with slight differences.

And I don’t think Canada is capable of the anarchy spoken of earlier.

Sorry, but we’re much too polite for that. 😄

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

And your plan was to do nothing, somehow identify and isolate everyone who's vulnerable, and then wait for herd immunity to develop.

This is a new virus - how could officials KNOW FOR SURE who the most vulnerable people were?  Some pandemics have killed many young and healthy individuals.  But there was no way to predict (in the early going, maybe not even now) precisely who the vulnerable segments of the population were.  You point to some segments as being statistically insignificant - but you forget that those statistics were not available a few months ago. 

The Spanish flu is the classic example of what can happen if you go the herd immunity route - most governments in 2020 just could not take that risk.  

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Jason kenney shows he is still an ******* with the pigeye-esque comments. ******* albertans just couldn't do the right thing could they.

he'd been SO GOOD until now, too.... following the orders of doctors and scientists. And then he goes and shows his true colours. Man was I pissed off when I read that...

33 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

And your plan was to do nothing, somehow identify and isolate everyone who's vulnerable, and then wait for herd immunity to develop.

This is a new virus - how could officials KNOW FOR SURE who the most vulnerable people were?  Some pandemics have killed many young and healthy individuals.  But there was no way to predict (in the early going, maybe not even now) precisely who the vulnerable segments of the population were.  You point to some segments as being statistically insignificant - but you forget that those statistics were not available a few months ago. 

The Spanish flu is the classic example of what can happen if you go the herd immunity route - most governments in 2020 just could not take that risk.  

They all had models, Sweden's method is based on models just like the UK and others who chose their method.

Hey Sweden shut some things down but not others, it's not business as usual over their, they are trying to protect the most vulnerable. 

I'm not advocating for opening everything up, they just didn't need to close everything down is all I'm saying. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Herd immunity will be achieved through gradual re-openings

No it won't Sweden is only at about 25% right now and may not be ready by the time the second wave hits, we will be completely screwed by that point.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The way they are doing it is to avoid overwhelming health care so we can treat people who need it. 

New York didn't even need the temporary beds the army corps of engineers set up, China didn't need theirs either, so this argument has already been shown to be a nothing burger.

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Jason kenney shows he is still an ******* with the pigeye-esque comments. ******* albertans just couldn't do the right thing could they.

Hey you wanted science and hard facts, you got them, sorry if they make you choke. 

Now put your big boy pants on and deal with the facts. I would hope our leaders are able to make the tough choices and not cower and hide in their homes at time like this. 

1 minute ago, pigseye said:

No it won't Sweden is only at about 25% right now and may not be ready by the time the second wave hits, we will be completely screwed by that point.

New York didn't even need the temporary beds the army corps of engineers set up, China didn't need theirs either, so this argument has already been shown to be a nothing burger.

Hey you wanted science and hard facts, you got them, sorry if they make you choke. 

Now put your big boy pants on and deal with the facts. I would hope our leaders are able to make the tough choices and not cower and hide in their homes at time like this. 

I like when you try to use china to prove anything. It’s funny.  Adds some levity.  Also when you pretend the virus after lockdowns was always what it was going to be without.  It’s cute you think that.