Covid-19

JCon

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

2 things, there is generally more air flow outdoors so close contact is less of a problem, however you stand or sit close to people outdoors you're still upping the chances of catching something. 

second thing: viruses spread less well in the heat than they do in colder dry climates. 

So yeah as we transition into summer outdoor gatherings will not be as big of a problem. You still can't just pretend that it's a big nothing burger and must still take precautions.

I doubt the protestors in Vancouver have completely forgot about covid 
as for summer... Stadiums at half capacity would probably work - with a social distancing urinals - society still too scared to go for that 

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

as for summer... Stadiums at half capacity would probably work - with a social distancing urinals - society still too scared to go for that 

So the Argos will be plenty good then :)

32 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So BC would work. They're already used to sodis at Lions games.

fbo-cfl-roughriders-lions-20170616-headline-image.jpg

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

It's not that society is too scared, it's that it's a lot of work to ensure guidelines are followed. 

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

At IGF, its very difficult to socially distance oneself.  Crammed concourses.  Half full or maybe 10,000 could potentially work.  I think they'd have to space out concessions.  Or you allow people to bring their own snacks and keep concessions closed.  I think there is the potential for CFL to launch in September with crowds.  Maybe an outside chance.

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

At IGF, its very difficult to socially distance oneself.  Crammed concourses.  Half full or maybe 10,000 could potentially work.  I think they'd have to space out concessions.  Or you allow people to bring their own snacks and keep concessions closed.  I think there is the potential for CFL to launch in September with crowds.  Maybe an outside chance.

How do people avoid crowds at the 4 entrance points of the stadium? If queueing occurs like at big box stores, with 6 feet between each person, then even a line of 2,500 people will extend 3 miles. How long do you want to wait to get in or out of the stadium? 2hours, 3? And with 18,000 season ticket holders, who are the half who get denied the chance to go to a game? And if I pay for a P1 seat on the 45 yard line, who decides that for social distancing and equal spreading out I will now be seated in the end zone, while my neighbour still gets his same seat we both paid the same prime price for, just because random selection? 

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

How do people avoid crowds at the 4 entrance points of the stadium? If queueing occurs like at big box stores, with 6 feet between each person, then even a line of 2,500 people will extend 3 miles. How long do you want to wait to get in or out of the stadium? 2hours, 3? And with 18,000 season ticket holders, who are the half who get denied the chance to go to a game? And if I pay for a P1 seat on the 45 yard line, who decides that for social distancing and equal spreading out I will now be seated in the end zone, while my neighbour still gets his same seat we both paid the same prime price for, just because random selection? 

Yeah its tough.  But I think there will be a very strong desire to find a middle ground between zero fans and 30,000 fans.

The flip side might be, especially using two hub cities and a short season, to be very careful during the season games, have no fans and then hope you can have fans for the Grey Cup game.  

If you're using two hub cities, thats multiple games were week in one city so many games.  Even if they allowed 5000 fans per game, it would be a lot more overall.  But then you risk out of towners as well.  

The worst case scenario would be reduced fans and COVID ramps back up and leads to infection among a team(s) and you end up playing most of the season but have to shut down before Grey Cup.  So I imagine they will be careful.

They'll get money from the feds and the TV contract and make it through.  

I remember at the start of isolation in Europe where a Spanish soccer team played before an empty stadium and clinched a playoff spot. Outside the stadium right after the game, 20,000 fans gathered in the parking lot to celebrate. Completely negated the effect of social distancing. I can recall a post here saying play the Bomber game in the empty stadium, and set up TV screens in the parking lots where people could tailgate. Missing the point entirely.

My opinion is that it is too difficult to impose half measures like a limited reduction in fans and forced distancing by allocating seats. The only way is to make every seat the same price and do a lottery for total fairness, but it still doesn't address the crowd bottlenecks at the entrances or concessions or bathrooms, or the littering or enforcing social distancing in the seats once the game is underway. If you are in the end zone or the nosebleeds, and 2/3 of the great seats are open, who isn't moving down?

Either zero fans and no gathering outside the stadium permitted, or the usual lot of fans as normal, encourage or mandate masks (even mandating impossible to enforce, are you going to kick out a fan because they took off their mask to sip their beer?), keep things as clean as possible, and accept that social distancing won't occur and people enter at their own peril. As we've seen with the US protests, controlling disobedient large scale masses without a military show of force is not possible, and no one wants a football game to turn into a riot. Did I mention that people would be drinking?

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They could do delivery of concessions assuming that the club could find an APP to use quickly.   The Mariners used to allow people to order via their Nintendo DS's back when Nintendo owned the club. 

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I personally think that figuring out the ticketing would be a much smaller problem than the concourse/entrance issues for them.

As far as who goes & who doesn't, they would have some options. For example: If it's an 8 game schedule for example, one half of season ticket holders gets 4 games & the other half get the rest. You would get credit/refund options for the games you miss (like they have already done for the cancelled games).  The credit/refund scenario would also apply if you got relocated from your normal seats.  Seniority would probably determine who moves and who doesn't.  It's not ideal but nothing is in the current world we live in.

If the CFL goes to a Hub City model with Winnipeg being selected, offering tickets to non-Bomber games could be part of the refund/credit options.

Manitoba announced two new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday.

Both patients are men in their 40s in the Southern Health region, provincial data says.

Public health is investigating the cases, a provincial spokesperson wrote in an email. No further information is available at this time, she said.

There are now 12 active cases in the province. The total number of confirmed and probable cases is 297.

Architect of Sweden’s Anti-Lockdown Strategy Admits Too Many People Have Died
Reuters
The man responsible for Sweden’s unique anti-lockdown coronavirus strategy has admitted that too many people have died and the country should have done more to prevent the spread of the disease. Sweden’s top epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell, is the brains behind his country’s controversial approach to the outbreak. Throughout the pandemic, Swedes have been allowed to go to restaurants, hit the gym, and send their kids to school. But Tegnell told Swedish radio on Wednesday that there was “quite obviously a potential for improvement in what we have done” in Sweden. According to The Guardian, when Tegnell was asked whether too many people in Sweden had died, he replied: “Yes, absolutely.” The scientist added: “If we were to encounter the same disease again knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done.” Sweden’s death rate is among the world’s highest at 43 deaths per 100,000 people.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anders-tegnell-architect-of-swedens-anti-lockdown-strategy-admits-too-many-people-have-died?ref=home