Covid-19

JCon

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/shanghai-china-covid-outbreak-1.6408520

The COVID-19 outbreak in China's largest metropolis of Shanghai remains "extremely grim" amid an ongoing lockdown confining around 26 million people to their homes, a city official said Tuesday.

Director of Shanghai's working group on epidemic control, Gu Honghui, was quoted by state media as saying that the outbreak in the city was "still running at a high level."

"The situation is extremely grim," Gu said.

China has sent more than 10,000 health workers from around the country to aid the city, including 2,000 from the military, and is mass testing residents, some of whom have been locked down for weeks.

Most of eastern Shanghai, which was supposed to reopen last Friday, remained locked down along with the western half of the city.

42 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Considered how vital China's workforce is to their manufacturing sector - it's strange that they wouldn't have more of them vaccinated

I think the problem is more that the made in China vaccine while effective against vanilla covid is much less effective against vallthese variants than the ones the western world used.

13 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Considered how vital China's workforce is to their manufacturing sector - it's strange that they wouldn't have more of them vaccinated

There are good reasons for not vaccinating their workers: it costs money, they would have to take time away from work to be jabbed and, last but not least, they are easily replaceable.

11 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This will make no difference in the opinions of antivaxxers but.....

The only graph you need to know after 2 years of COVID pandemic

I think you're being very kind.

Anti-science is probably a more appropriate term for a significant portion (but not all) of the people highlighted in the red above who were extremely loud about how we are all being duped by science, by so called experts, by so called evidence when it came to this so called pandemic. All of this was not to not help us but to control our movements, roll over our individual rights, impinge on our freedoms to choose. One of the many go to slogans of theirs is they love to holler to the world MY INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS DON'T STOP AT YOUR FEARS, NO MORE MANDATES, FREEDOM.

It would be interesting if these same people needed emergency surgery and the surgeon refused to appropriately prepare for their surgery because (see ALL CAPS above). 

I recently had several students who caught omicron - both vaccinated and unvaccinated

To be very honest, vaccinated students really did not fare any better - it was about the same

I was quite disappointed by that, and I hope it's not a common trend

Anecdotal evidence but 3 people in my staff of 12 have now had it. Only 1 that's not boosted (he's younger and just became eligible) and only that person had really bad symptoms. Otherwise very healthy... High level athlete in a couple sports.... But Omi knocked the **** out of him for two weeks. The two with 3x dose were relatively mild. Head colds for no more than a week. 

We had a bout of the 'ronas and are just coming out of it. Wife and I both have 3 doses I had pretty mild symptoms.  2 non-consecutive days where I felt like crap otherwise not too bad. My wife on the other hand was knocked on her ass for at least a week and a half. Our 3.5 year old was feeling tough for a few days but bounced back pretty well and our 1 year old is finally more normal, but the two kids have the lingering cough and noses that want to leak a bit.

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

The provincial PCs seem to think that Manitobans are mushrooms- they feed us bullshit, keep us in the dark and expect us to thrive.

Again you're being too kind. Like they care if we thrive or not. There is a concerted effort to hide valuable information from us in order to make them look better and get on forgetting Covid exists. Not sure if I hope this or not, but it would be pretty deserving to have one of those in power who have decided to withhold information get a really bad case of Covid.

Somewhat concerned about the reports of younger kids with lingering symptoms with my baby. I remember reading from Mayo Clinic that kids under 1 are in the same risk level as 40-50 year olds (could be wrong, but its close to that at least). Hope all your kids make a full rebound quickly.

Manitoba keeps the size of COVID outbreaks at personal care homes under wraps | CBC News

"On Wednesday, Stefanson planned to announce $15 million in new provincial funding for personal care homes at River Park Gardens, a seniors' facility in Winnipeg's Royalwood neighbourhood.

The event was moved to the Manitoba legislative building because of a COVID-19 outbreak at the home.

The province informed the media of the venue change one hour before the scheduled announcement.

The severity of this outbreak is unknown, because the province no longer discloses how many people are infected at care homes."

1 minute ago, WildPath said:

Manitoba keeps the size of COVID outbreaks at personal care homes under wraps | CBC News

"On Wednesday, Stefanson planned to announce $15 million in new provincial funding for personal care homes at River Park Gardens, a seniors' facility in Winnipeg's Royalwood neighbourhood.

The event was moved to the Manitoba legislative building because of a COVID-19 outbreak at the home.

The province informed the media of the venue change one hour before the scheduled announcement.

The severity of this outbreak is unknown, because the province no longer discloses how many people are infected at care homes."

If I was this government, I wouldn't want any of this known either. Trump's advice prevails.

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

In all fairness, most North American and European governments are loosening or lifting mandates.  Even very strict countries like Austria and Germany.  

In all fairness - and closer to home - Quebec and PEI have extended their mask mandates until at least the end of April. 

Not everyone has to jump off a building because their friend does.

20 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Maybe it's due to gradual acceptance, but I didn't even realize there had been a 5th wave.

I can't understand how that is even possible, but maybe because the 4th never ended when the 5th picked up....and we were never really out of the 5th when the 6th picked up steam. Governments across the country (especially Con ones) are killing as many people as necessary in order to not inconvenience the mouth breathing base....

Sometimes I just wonder if everyone around the table laughed when someone suggested they say they tell the press they have improved the data released by only letting people know what is relevant. I'm sure there were people around the table that scoffed and thought Manitobans are never dumb enough to believe that, but I guess consensus thought they could hide data and convince Manitobans it was better that way.

I'd think its obvious to just about everyone that they are deliberately hiding data in order to hide how bad of a job they're doing and prevent their reputation from going down even further. To think they can fool Manitobans shows just how poorly they think of us. They have the information and are trying to convince us that its better we don't have it despite how that may affect our health-related decisions and knowledge of how bad our hospital situation is.

But our Minister of Health is planning 'couch visits' with her constituents (yes, literally bringing a couch around with her so people can meet with her in parks) 😆Couching health-care criticisms - Winnipeg Free Press

43 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Sometimes I just wonder if everyone around the table laughed when someone suggested they say they tell the press they have improved the data released by only letting people know what is relevant. I'm sure there were people around the table that scoffed and thought Manitobans are never dumb enough to believe that, but I guess consensus thought they could hide data and convince Manitobans it was better that way.

I'd think its obvious to just about everyone that they are deliberately hiding data in order to hide how bad of a job they're doing and prevent their reputation from going down even further. To think they can fool Manitobans shows just how poorly they think of us. They have the information and are trying to convince us that its better we don't have it despite how that may affect our health-related decisions and knowledge of how bad our hospital situation is.

But our Minister of Health is planning 'couch visits' with her constituents (yes, literally bringing a couch around with her so people can meet with her in parks) 😆Couching health-care criticisms - Winnipeg Free Press

Facts (data) are inconvenient and embarrassing when you are screwing up on an epic scale.