The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Rather take that 330 and put it towards the football stadium retractable roof :)

Put it towards moving the rail yards out the city and then... u can probably put a ton of housing there 

Rarely to never use it... not in years.  It's not really necessary 

Edited by Goalie

On 2023-11-22 at 2:30 PM, Goalie said:

Put it towards moving the rail yards out the city and then... u can probably put a ton of housing there 

Rarely to never use it... not in years.  It's not really necessary 

I believe the estimate to move the rail yards was in the billions... I'm not sure how many, but it would take a lot to make that move happen.

23 hours ago, Sard said:

I believe the estimate to move the rail yards was in the billions... I'm not sure how many, but it would take a lot to make that move happen.

Despite the cost it is the right answer. 3 or 4 Billion to move it now or 700 Million for Arlington Bridge and then 1.5B for Slaw Rebchuk and on and on in to the future. The possible economic boon from the area currently covered by the rail yard was estimated at 4 or 5 times the cost of moving it (if my memory is correct). How many housing units could be built on that land (after remediation) and the societal gains from removing the division between the North and the rest of the city would have a value as well, but I have no idea how to place an amount on it.

We need to get past doing the cheapest right now and start doing the best for ever solution.

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Or property tax the ship out of the rail yards to help build a new bridge.

CP Rail could fight that as predatory in the courts. We need to work with them to move those rail yards. 

400 acres in the middle of city could create a lot more property tax revenue if it wasn't all industrial. 

11 minutes ago, JCon said:

CP Rail could fight that as predatory in the courts. We need to work with them to move those rail yards. 

400 acres in the middle of city could create a lot more property tax revenue if it wasn't all industrial. 

It could rejuvenate the area and really clean it up.   

A lot of really bad/sad things happen around those tracks and under the bridge.      

3 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Getting ranked 3rd overall is pretty impressive considering they has us at 422th (out of 439) for climate.  We must have done really well in the other categories!

3rd overall and 1st for raising a family, pretty proud of the city I moved out of to live in the country… (I don’t feel it is hypocritical, more ironic really)