The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

You're right they could probably come up with something a little nicer looking but safety would definitely have to be factored into the design (the city learned that the hard way at the Millenium Library a few years ago) so it wouldn't be an open concept like they've provided.  

It doesn't matter if the walkway is below, above or ground level - there needs to be something to drive foot traffic.  Crime actually goes down when you have more people present.  I'd love to see elements of the New York Highline implemented at or above ground level.  

This is a huge opportunity for downtown, but we refuse to vote for visionaries anymore.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Just remove the barriers and open it up. The knots they twist themselves in to NOT make a decision. Cowardly "leadership" on repeat. 

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

bUt 65% Of PeOpLe SaId No!

I can admit that I voted to keep it closed, I was wrong and would like the chance to change my vote. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It's a little overcooked, but I do like the idea of pedestrian overpass. Everyone wins.

Everyone but the physically challenged. Crossing has to be at grade to truly be what it needs to be. Open it up as a scramble intersection and move everyone at the same time and then move traffic and not pedestrians move at that time. 

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

No one wins with the underground crossing @ P&M. Have you ever tried to get from one corner to the other... madness.

actually yes that new building that has the Earl's and the Good Life fitness, I've entered and exited the square from there

Closed today for the last time.                                    

End of an Era: Sals on North Main closes its doors for the last time

48 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Closed today for the last time.                                    

End of an Era: Sals on North Main closes its doors for the last time

WHich location is this?

On 2023-04-26 at 10:36 AM, Noeller said:

interesting about Regent/Lag... my mom lives in Transcona and we have a cottage at Victoria Beach, so I have spent a LOT.......of time at that intersection. Can confirm how busy it can get....interesting that it's #1 though. 

If it was US there would be an underpass there.

Great video on Twitter of Browaty telling a group addressing council that he thinks groups that come in to offer feedback don't represent the average citizen, that its a waste of time and how councilors are represent 45,000 people or so and he gets his feedback from Joe Sixpack who drives his SUV to Tim Hortons on the way to hockey while door knocking every four years. @Brandon still want to claim how great he is?

On 2023-04-26 at 10:36 AM, Noeller said:

interesting about Regent/Lag... my mom lives in Transcona and we have a cottage at Victoria Beach, so I have spent a LOT.......of time at that intersection. Can confirm how busy it can get....interesting that it's #1 though. 

There are so many lanes of traffic that it almost works. Has been #1 for at least the last 5 years, the worst part is the flow all stops a block away on Regent or Nairn.

20 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Not a surprise that several points of route 90 are on the list

Somewhat surprised to see none of the McPhillips intersections on there

McPhillips & Leila used to be on the list and is on the list of highest number of crashes. I can tell you that many people do their best to avoid that area especially in afternoon rush hour. From my office near Polo Park the most direct route home is McPhillips out Hwy 8 to Clandeboye Rd. If I leave the office later than 4:30 I can save 10 minutes but driving in the wrong direction to Rte 90 to Perimeter to Hwy to Clandeboye Rd. I think it's 12kms of extra driving but flows so much better, and saying that Rte90 flows shocks my system just typing it.

I've met Browaty several times and he's extremely well spoken, takes time to answer questions and gives logical and honest answers.    His face might be a bit weird and scrunchy but if you are judging on a physical appearence and saying he is a weasel then that's low.   I spoke with Sam Katz before now that guy was greasy and double talked a lot,  Browaty is 100% straight shooter and completely fair.   

I will point out once again the current mayor of the city ran with Browaty at his side and he won the election!    Browaty was against opening portage and main and the people voted and agreed with him.    He's won numerous elections in a riding with people varying from average to very above average incomes (educated).      

And the best people can do is say he's a weasel and that you wouldn't drink a beer with him, that's absolutely hilarious.     You vote based on who you would hang out with and that's exactly why someone should or should not be elected?  I am thankful as my points above show that most people in Winnipeg are sane and agree with me and that you guys are so wrong and just bitter or mad because of how things are.    Don't hate me because I am correct , it's not my opinion it is fact that he is well liked and that the people support him.    Just because a few liberal people on here don't agree with him,  doesn't mean really anything and it doesn't represent the majority of people. 

Also back to the "drinking a beer" thing,   so would you drink a beer with Russ Wyatt?  A guy with horrendous character but a solid politician that came back and took over from a coward (Nason) because people don't vote based on physical looks or drinking beer, they vote because the guy gets results.       My goodness you guys are hilarious and I'll take off again so you can sit in your echo chamber and ignore the truth.      :) :) :) :) 

22 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I've met Browaty several times and he's extremely well spoken, takes time to answer questions and gives logical and honest answers.    His face might be a bit weird and scrunchy but if you are judging on a physical appearence and saying he is a weasel then that's low.   I spoke with Sam Katz before now that guy was greasy and double talked a lot,  Browaty is 100% straight shooter and completely fair.   

I will point out once again the current mayor of the city ran with Browaty at his side and he won the election!    Browaty was against opening portage and main and the people voted and agreed with him.    He's won numerous elections in a riding with people varying from average to very above average incomes (educated).      

And the best people can do is say he's a weasel and that you wouldn't drink a beer with him, that's absolutely hilarious.     You vote based on who you would hang out with and that's exactly why someone should or should not be elected?  I am thankful as my points above show that most people in Winnipeg are sane and agree with me and that you guys are so wrong and just bitter or mad because of how things are.    Don't hate me because I am correct , it's not my opinion it is fact that he is well liked and that the people support him.    Just because a few liberal people on here don't agree with him,  doesn't mean really anything and it doesn't represent the majority of people. 

Also back to the "drinking a beer" thing,   so would you drink a beer with Russ Wyatt?  A guy with horrendous character but a solid politician that came back and took over from a coward (Nason) because people don't vote based on physical looks or drinking beer, they vote because the guy gets results.       My goodness you guys are hilarious and I'll take off again so you can sit in your echo chamber and ignore the truth.      :) :) :) :) 

Way to miss the point but at this point I expect that from you. I went to school with Jeff and he wasn't a likeable person then and imo has gotten worse. However good of you to lie and say things that nobody ever posted.

He gets in because he is in one of the most conservative parts of the city and yes he represents those voters. Doesn't mean he represents the views of the entire city. Oh and Gillingham got 27% of the vote, one of the lowest for an elected mayor ever. He also doesn't represent the will or wishes of most of Winnipeg.

If you want to vote for a guy who thinks its a waste of time to listen to people presenting to council because in his mind he knows better (a fairly anti democratic position), advocated calling the police to roust homeless people from bus shelters and stated online that he would be sending the police to a community group that runs a food bank in his ward because they also supported safe injection sites then go ahead. Its your right in a democracy. If I lived in his ward, I would not vote for him for the aforementioned reasons. Additional reasons would be his complaining about the decay of Harbour View and it not getting enough funding despite him having been the councilor for that area for 16 years, several of which when he was on EPC (Clear he didn't do anything on the file) and his support of extending Chief Peguis and widening Kenaston. 

Edited by rebusrankin