The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, JCon said:

A bit of confession and apology to all in Winnipeg and surrounding areas... 

Two weeks ago I made a service appointment for my car today, Wednesday. However, I also added a seasonal tire change to take off my winter tires. Since, why not!, I was there anyways. 

So, the dump of snow today is my fault. I apologize wholeheartedly to all those affected. 

R53MBjM.gif

Apology accepted. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

A bit of confession and apology to all in Winnipeg and surrounding areas... 

Two weeks ago I made a service appointment for my car today, Wednesday. However, I also added a seasonal tire change to take off my winter tires. Since, why not!, I was there anyways. 

So, the dump of snow today is my fault. I apologize wholeheartedly to all those affected. 

Apology not accepted. 

On 2023-03-07 at 8:12 AM, Wideleft said:

Took me less than 5 minutes to master the pronunciations.  Give yourself an hour and you'll be fine.

• Bishop Grandin Boulevard to Abinojii Mikanah (A-bin-oh-gee Mee-kin-ah)
  • Bishop Grandin Trail to Awasisak Meskanow (Aa-wa-sis-uk Me-ska-noh)
  • Grandin Street to Taapweewin Way (Tap-way-win)

All those words are pretty easy too me...lol. Not sure why people are so upset. They will anglicize all these names with a shortening/nickname anyway. And yes, Winnipeg is a cree word, so it seems only fitting that we have a few indigenous names of streets as well.

On 2023-03-07 at 10:27 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Giving them a safe place and needles is not helping other then reducing their chances of avoiding a needle disease. Dry em out, either clinically, legally or forcefully. 

Whats AA for drugs? 🤔

While we are at it let's do that for alcohol as well, and obese people too...and those that eat red meat, and don't even get me started on smokers. Whoooo.....by force I tell ya.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

All those words are pretty easy too me...lol. Not sure why people are so upset. They will anglicize all these names with a shortening/nickname anyway. And yes, Winnipeg is a cree word, so it seems only fitting that we have a few indigenous names of streets as well.

90% of people will continue to call it "Bishop Grandin" for decades.

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I mean, our next Premier is possibly going to be a first nations person with a shortened name.

On 2023-03-07 at 10:27 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Giving them a safe place and needles is not helping other then reducing their chances of avoiding a needle disease. Dry em out, either clinically, legally or forcefully. 

Whats AA for drugs? 🤔

How much experience do you have in helping people get over substance abuse?

• 2 weeks later...

https://retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2023/04/birks-shuts-downtown-winnipeg-store-and-exits-market-after-120-years-interview-with-ceo-jean-christophe-bedos/

Birks Group has closed its downtown Winnipeg Maison Birks store after decades of being in business in the Manitoba city.

The location on Lombard Avenue shut down at the end of March as the Canadian jewellery retailer continues to focus on building the brand in the major markets of Canada.

In an interview with Retail Insider, Jean-Christophe Bédos, President and CEO, Birks Group, said: “The store came to the end of its lease. We want to focus our efforts and development in the larger urban centres in Quebec, Ontario, British Columbia and Alberta.

“Thanks to a great partner we have in Winnipeg, they’re called Independent Jewellers, they distribute the Birks brand in their stores and then of course we keep serving our clients by the internet, by e-commerce. So we felt we didn’t need to renew the lease, renovate the store for another seven to 10 years. So it coincided with our strategy to concentrate on the large urban centres.”

Birks opened the store on Main Street in Winnipeg in 1903. It was the second store that Birks ever opened outside of Montreal, (following the opening of the Ottawa store in 1901). In 1911, Birks moved the Winnipeg store to the corner of Portage and Smith, formerly the YMCA building, and later moved again to 191 Lombard Ave.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/train-derailment-winnipeg-overpass-1.6817839

A train derailment involving 12 cars has closed one of Winnipeg's busiest streets — and it could stay that way for days.

The derailment happened just before 8 a.m. Friday on the Canadian Pacific Railway train overpass above McPhillips Street, forcing the city to close McPhillips between Logan and Jarvis avenues.

The cause of the derailment is unknown and there are no injuries.

The cars were carrying a petroleum oil compound — bitumen — which is not considered hazardous, ...it is not believed any of it spilled.

There's some concern about the integrity of bridge, which was built in 1912. The underpass will be closed for a few days, at least, while it is assessed...

Not good for the afternoon commute later today.

7 hours ago, iHeart said:

Yields! The people want yields! There's not enuf in this city. It's crazy. Some of the busiest intersections dont have yields.

Reading that article confirms for me yet again that Browaty is a clown and has no idea what he's talking about.  

There are essentially two separate projects happening at the same time: the repair of the membrane and the potential redesign of the intersection.

The city knew they would have to tear up the intersection to fix the membrane so since it will be out of commission for a while, they are using it as an opportunity to look at making changes to the design.  It's a rare occurrence of city trying to get two birds stoned at once.

Browaty can be disappointed all he wants about the lack of info on the underground but that's not what the upcoming public engagement is about.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Reading that article confirms for me yet again that Browaty is a clown and has no idea what he's talking about.  

There are essentially two separate projects happening at the same time: the repair of the membrane and the potential redesign of the intersection.

The city knew they would have to tear up the intersection to fix the membrane so since it will be out of commission for a while, they are using it as an opportunity to look at making changes to the design.  It's a rare occurrence of city trying to get two birds stoned at once.

Browaty can be disappointed all he wants about the lack of info on the underground but that's not what the upcoming public engagement is about.

I've read the article over a few times,  all that I've seen is him saying that he was disappointed with the presentation that was given to them on Friday based on the lack of details on the construction costs and what they plan on doing for the underground portion.  I didn't see anything about the future public engagements and him complaining about it?

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

I've read the article over a few times,  all that I've seen is him saying that he was disappointed with the presentation that was given to them on Friday based on the lack of details on the construction costs and what they plan on doing for the underground portion.  I didn't see anything about the future public engagements and him complaining about it?

He's conflating two different projects so yeah he's going to be disappointed if he's expecting information that was out of scope for this one.  

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Browaty is clown.

Totally disagree,   he's one of the few councillors who isn't afraid to speak up and say what the people are thinking. One of the few non corrupt in the city that actually represents the working people of the city.   

If a clown's idea is to remove the homeless camps from bus shelters,   clean up downtown by making it a safe place for people to visit,   holding the mayor accountable for blowing money on pointless initiatives,   making the city a better place for the working,  being unafraid to speak ones mind and not become a Yes Man (like Shawn Nason was).   Then I guess he's a terrible clown.  Their is a reason why he wins every election.    

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Totally disagree,   he's one of the few councillors who isn't afraid to speak up and say what the people are thinking. One of the few non corrupt in the city that actually represents the working people of the city.   

If a clown's idea is to remove the homeless camps from bus shelters,   clean up downtown by making it a safe place for people to visit,   holding the mayor accountable for blowing money on pointless initiatives,   making the city a better place for the working,  being unafraid to speak ones mind and not become a Yes Man (like Shawn Nason was).   Then I guess he's a terrible clown.  Their is a reason why he wins every election.    

Browaty is a clown.

There.

Something something awesome councillor:

Jeff Browaty resigns as chair of Winnipeg Police Board

• 6 years ago
  • News
  • Duration1:49

Coun. Jeff Browaty is resigning from his position as chair of the Winnipeg Police Board, following a call from the board itself for his removal after he questioned the need for all city staff to receive education about the legacy of residential schools.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/872992323864

2 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

• 6 years ago
  • News

Coun. Jeff Browaty is resigning from his position as chair of the Winnipeg Police Board, following a call from the board itself for his removal after he questioned the need for all city staff to receive education about the legacy of residential schools.

And, residential school denier. Clown. 

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

• 6 years ago
  • News

Why would someone who doesn't deal with the public need this? Wasted resources. 

A reminder that the latest mayor was supported by Browaty and campaigned with him and that the population supported closing portage and main. 

The people love Browaty because despite the attempted smear campaign above the intelligent people can recognize a good councillor.

Only a fool would believe that crap above. Had he ran for mayor himself he'd easily win.