The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I work at citi place in the office tower. The Windsor fire  was wild. I wouldn't be surprised if it was arson honestly but old building and crappy electrical likely the cause.Couldn't see the new condo on main for a bit really 

Edited by Goalie

Most likely homeless people as the sight had been broken into earlier and the fire department called, It's getting cold and these people are looking for warmth probably setting some materials on fire to stay warm and it got out of control. It's been demolished already.

Edited by bustamente

14 hours ago, bustamente said:

Most likely homeless people as the sight had been broken into earlier and the fire department called, It's getting cold and these people are looking for warmth probably setting some materials on fire to stay warm and it got out of control. It's been demolished already.

Just make converting it into parking lot, office building or apartments a whole lot easier.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Super Duper Negatron said:

NOT trying to turn this into a political thread, but I am happy to see Gillingham immediately prioritize homelessness now that the election is over. I also saw a month back that he travelled to Texas (Austin?) for some information sharing on possible solutions.

I love how people travel to hip cities to figure out how to cure what ails them. 

• 1 month later...

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-woman-sues-tim-hortons-alleging-cream-in-tea-led-to-hospitalization-1.6635085

Who(especially someone with allergies) has faith in a fast food restaurant to fill out your order correctly? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

35 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-woman-sues-tim-hortons-alleging-cream-in-tea-led-to-hospitalization-1.6635085

Who(especially someone with allergies) has faith in a fast food restaurant to fill out your order correctly? 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, there has to be some level of personal responsibility IMO. If you are THAT allergic, just don't order out.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

If the Arlington Bridge is part of your daily commute, your life is about to change. The City of Winnipeg has closed the 121-year-old bridge indefinitely, saying it is unsafe.

Wow. I'm thankful that will not impact my commute but damn.

49 minutes ago, bustamente said:

They have been doing patchwork maintenance on the bridge for years, really needs to be replaced by the cupboards are bare.

No plans to replace it, unfortunately. They were still hinting at moving the rail yards, which is a pipedream. No one has money for that. 

Pick this off CBC online

The city has been talking about replacing the bridge since 2011. Engineers presented a plan for a new three-lane span in 2018 at a price tag of $330 million, which Nierinck said would be higher now.

You have to think by the time it's replaced it will double that or more. In the meantime they will do more assessing and maybe a stop gap effort to keep it alive for another year

1 hour ago, bustamente said:

Pick this off CBC online

The city has been talking about replacing the bridge since 2011. Engineers presented a plan for a new three-lane span in 2018 at a price tag of $330 million, which Nierinck said would be higher now.

You have to think by the time it's replaced it will double that or more. In the meantime they will do more assessing and maybe a stop gap effort to keep it alive for another year

I think they've done all they can. It's crumbling from the inside out.