The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

There are lots of new developments, apartments and whatnot. It's booming down there. 

I keep reading about knife attacks and what not, but every time the wife and I are home we say "when we move back, we're gonna spend a lot of time at the Common... especially in the summer..." and probably fish around there a fair bit, too, I think.....

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I keep reading about knife attacks and what not, but every time the wife and I are home we say "when we move back, we're gonna spend a lot of time at the Common... especially in the summer..." and probably fish around there a fair bit, too, I think.....

Violent crime has been on the rise but it's back to levels of around 2009.  We need addiction spaces and housing investment, which the last gov't did not do. So, a much improved gov't will fix this. The last gov't was a disaster for this province. 

Property crime is down. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Violent crime has been on the rise but it's back to levels of around 2009.  We need addiction spaces and housing investment, which the last gov't did not do. So, a much improved gov't will fix this. The last gov't was a disaster for this province. 

Property crime is down. 

amen to all of this! 

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

Property crime is down. 

No cap here.  I voted ndp but honestly they haven’t done much if anything yet so remains to be seen  

Time to finally tear the walls down tho. It’s happening and it’s about fuggin time.  But to your previous point, it is booming. There are tons of condos. I think the violent crime down there is a bit exaggerated at times. There are lots of homeless camps by the river tho. But, hopefully the ndp fixes this. 

Edited by Goalie

10 hours ago, JCon said:

There are lots of new developments, apartments and whatnot. It's booming down there. 

That would be an extreme exaggeration.    A more accurate description would be  "after many years of nothing,  the area is slowly seeing some movement in development".  

The only areas that are booming are the burbs closer to the perimeter where a crap tonne of development is still being done and I have no idea who are buying up all those condos and townhouses.   

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

We went to the Childrens Museum a few weekends ago with other couples and children and outside of the Forks area was still sketchy.  Homeless camps and questionable people wandering around that I wouldn't feel safe.    Within the Forks it was very busy and a nice mix of all ages and types of people.  The food court is really good at the Forks ,  above average offerings and it's a decent atmosphere.  Was only accosted by one methed out dude but thankfully he wasn't aggressive.  Talking with the other parents they hadn't been to the Forks in a long while because of the safety concerns from the frequent attacks and were all perhaps reconsidering since this visit wasn't all that terrible.  

The next day I get sent this link:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10354158/teens-arrested-charged-altercation-security-forks-market-winnipeg-police/

Missed the incident by only 30 minutes,  but once again re-affirmed why the area sucks and even more reason why I won't be bringing my family back at the Forks anytime soon.    

As for your comment,  I have several friends and even myself at one point who had moved away and then either misremember Winnipeg or see it through nostalgia-glasses... but they all romanticize coming back to the Peg.  Usually it goes away after coming back for a few weeks and the honeymoon period wears off.   Fishing at the Forks in theory makes perfect sense... unfortunately the more likely result will be trying it out and getting tired of always looking over your shoulder and never being able to relax and you ending up with everyone else going to lockport ,  Selkirk, or Gimli where you can relax and have a nice safe and peaceful fishing experience.   

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

We went to the Childrens Museum a few weekends ago with other couples and children and outside of the Forks area was still sketchy.  Homeless camps and questionable people wandering around that I wouldn't feel safe.    Within the Forks it was very busy and a nice mix of all ages and types of people.  The food court is really good at the Forks ,  above average offerings and it's a decent atmosphere.  Was only accosted by one methed out dude but thankfully he wasn't aggressive.  Talking with the other parents they hadn't been to the Forks in a long while because of the safety concerns from the frequent attacks and were all perhaps reconsidering since this visit wasn't all that terrible.  

The next day I get sent this link:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10354158/teens-arrested-charged-altercation-security-forks-market-winnipeg-police/

Missed the incident by only 30 minutes,  but once again re-affirmed why the area sucks and even more reason why I won't be bringing my family back at the Forks anytime soon.    

As for your comment,  I have several friends and even myself at one point who had moved away and then either misremember Winnipeg or see it through nostalgia-glasses... but they all romanticize coming back to the Peg.  Usually it goes away after coming back for a few weeks and the honeymoon period wears off.   Fishing at the Forks in theory makes perfect sense... unfortunately the more likely result will be trying it out and getting tired of always looking over your shoulder and never being able to relax and you ending up with everyone else going to lockport ,  Selkirk, or Gimli where you can relax and have a nice safe and peaceful fishing experience.   

always appreciate your optimism around here... you're a boon the atmosphere, always! 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

always appreciate your optimism around here... you're a boon the atmosphere, always! 

Hey I complimented Selkirk and Gimli :D   They are both very lovely places to spend an afternoon at!  

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Brandon said:

So not a random incident as the screenshot would suggest - the two men knew each other and had been in a dispute prior to the attack.  Still very violent and shocking though, not what you expect to see when you pop into BK for your morning coffee.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2024/04/03/suspect-sought-after-slashing-inside-burger-king

Personal data from potentially thousands of students and staff was stolen in a cyberattack late last month, the University of Winnipeg says.

The names, social insurance numbers, birth dates and addresses of former and current students and school employees have likely been exposed to the attackers, the university said in a Thursday news release.

The bank account information of anyone employed by the university since 2015 is also part of the potential exposure.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7163873

On 4/3/2024 at 1:36 PM, bigg jay said:

So not a random incident as the screenshot would suggest - the two men knew each other and had been in a dispute prior to the attack.  Still very violent and shocking though, not what you expect to see when you pop into BK for your morning coffee.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2024/04/03/suspect-sought-after-slashing-inside-burger-king

But meth heads  are killing other meth heads. Surely that’s not happening in every city in North America daily. Oh? It is. No kidding huh. Who would have thought. 

Edited by Goalie

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

But meth heads  are killing other meth heads. Surely that’s not happening in every city in North America daily. Oh? It is. No kidding huh. Who would have thought. 

As of 2022 -   Winnipeg has the highest rate of homicides and by a large margin compared to the other large cities in Canada.     Also Winnipeg/Manitoba has seen the largest increase in crimes once again by a much larger margin compared to the other provinces.  

I'd say it's been a noticeable change in recent years.   I also wouldn't compare us to the States since it's not an apples to apples comparison.    

Homicide numbers:   https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/231129/t003b-eng.htm

11-627-m2023041-eng.jpg

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

@Brandon you can always move. I don’t think ppl would miss your **** attitude. 

My attitude of having concern of the sharp increase of crime and violent crimes?   Was it that I provided facts that you cannot dispute?  

That's a weird take?

On 2024-02-04 at 7:34 AM, MOBomberFan said:

Yes I'm eager to hear the lineup this year, but honestly just give me practically any three Canadian 90s rock bands and I'm almost guaranteed to go. Bif Naked, I Mother Earth (one of my all time faves) and The Watchmen has been my favorite lineup so far, that night set a pretty high bar.

You got your wish.  I was hoping for some bigger 70/80s names like last year with Cheap Trick however I guess the organizers wanted to keep it Canadian.

https://www.burtoncummingstheatre.ca/burtblockparty/

Can't wait!

LINEUP:

Thurs. Aug. 22 – Blue Rodeo, Skydiggers, Indian City, and guests.

Fri. Aug. 23 – Arkells, July Talk, The Blue Stones, The Haileys.

Sat. Aug. 24 – Headstones, I Mother Earth, and guests.

Sun. Aug. 25 – Tom Cochrane, Streetheart, Sass Jordan, and guests.

No way I could make all 4 nights work... but that Fri/Sat lineup is KILLER and could still get even better

Seen July Talk, Blue Stones, IME and possibly 'guests' but somehow I still haven't seen the Headstones... about time I fix that! Will be my first time seeing Arkells, I like their radio tunes and they get points for playing the 2021 GC halftime show. The Hailey's I get major The Beaches vibes from and that's not a bad thing at all. Local act, too!

Will absolutely be worth the money and if the VIP package isn't too ridiculous this year I'd recommend it.