Bomber Free Agent Discussion

M.O.A.B.

sorry about being late to the party on this, but...

as with most things it will all come down to the number of "dead presidents" that are available, which in and of itself is a term that doesn't really make a lot of sense here in the states as the largest available denomination of currency available from a bank here is the $100 bill which in fact does not have a picture of a president on it... you'd have to assume that one of those real intelligent folk that comes up with all of our slang made up this one and wasn't smart enough to know that Franklin wasn't a president, lol... and before I get jumped all over, I know that Canada doesn't have 'presidents'...

back to topic... there is a lot of moving parts to consider; who to keep, how much to offer, and who we let walk... all things considered, you should like to keep the entire team, if possible, after all the Bombers are the 2019 Global Football Championship Team... but we all know that won't be the case... those I'm indifferent to coming back... Nichols, Collaros, Hecht...  with Lapo moving on I'm willing to gamble 1 more year on Nichols if we have to, that is if he can still throw and is willing to play for no more than his current contract (I'd rather he take a cut, but...), Collaros is playing on borrowed time, god love him... Hecht? meh... keep him only if there is a ratio issue...

but at the end of the day it will become more about money than anything... Cap does go up to $5.75M max, $5.15M min... but, min salary for players take a hefty hike from $54K to $65K... given the number of players in that category that could have a significant impact on ability to retain players that are wanting big, or any, raise... one area of help comes from the putting a cap on the amount drafted players can make now... #1 draft pick slot has a max of $85K that can be offered to sign and down from there for #2 on...

if I were Walters, I'd begin my player contract negotiations by reminding each of these players that they did receive a $23K raise already in 2019 by competing in 2 playoff games and winning the Grey Cup... if the Bombers are able to retain the majority of their free agents it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that there is that same opportunity for like bonus pay next year as well... and how players such as Santos-Knox and Chung, who left for more than they were offered here but less than what they would have made had they stayed (at least Santos-Knox), can be effected by moving on... 

Edited by 66 Chevelle

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

One of the more underrated guys in the league. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves.

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Glad to have him back.

When healthy he is a very good player

Walters got him for a STEAL from SSK because of his injury history... easily one of Walter's best "trade" moves in his tenure IMO.

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Wonder if Kongbo and Willie will be working out together today in Miami..and wonder if it's going to be a choice of one..over the other for Miami if it comes down to they wanna sign a guy...You would think Kongbo would get the nod based on age..potential...size..I do know they are both there today

Sigh:

The Miami Dolphins had a CFL-filled workout session on Tuesday.

There were a number of different players in attendance from various teams.

CFL Most Outstanding Defensive Player Willie Jefferson headlined the group. Jefferson had a great showing in front of the Dolphins’ staff. In fact, Miami cut it short because Jefferson displayed everything the personnel men wanted to see – walked away with a strong positive impression.

Winnipeg teammates, defensive lineman Jonathan Kongbo and defensive back Marcus Sayles and were there as well. Kongbo was chosen by the Bombers in the first round, fifth overall during the 2019 CFL draft. Sayles, who was a West Division all-star, produced his best season as a pro with 64 tackles, three interceptions, three forced fumbles, two defensive touchdowns and one sack.

Oh well, good luck to them. Can't fault anyone for wanting to be rich.

https://3downnation.com/2019/12/10/miami-dolphins-hold-cfl-filled-workout/

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Key signing if you ask me..Get Hardick and Bryant finalized and we are back to our Grey Cup starting (dominant) line...with Gray and Eli in pipeline and most likely means we are moving on from Couture..which is fine by me as Desjarlais/Eli and Gray all have better upside...He served us well for 4 years..we got him a ring..I bet we see him in Ottawa

Hardrick.  Hardrick.

2 hours ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Walters got him for a STEAL from SSK because of his injury history... easily one of Walter's best "trade" moves in his tenure IMO.

I wouldn't call it a steal. The Riders got Alex Hall and a 2nd rounder for Neufeld (Bombers also received a 5th rounder).

Hall helped contribute to the Riders' 2013 Cup so I'm sure they were happy with the trade as well.