QB

jammer

43 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm not suggesting we sign Collaros next year. In fact, I didn't want us to trade for him in the first place because of his health. It's turned out great so far, but I'm still worried about a big hit taking him out yet again

this is the only thing that still really worries me about Zach... and I fear the opponent we're playing on Sunday will not hesitate to take a cheap shot if it's available...

18 minutes ago, bearpants said:

this is the only thing that still really worries me about Zach... and I fear the opponent we're playing on Sunday will not hesitate to take a cheap shot if it's available...

I can guarantee we will be smacking Fajardo in the ribs every chance we get too.

53 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Based on the scoreboard I think you are right. We would have won without Strev. However, having him and the way he played basically sealed it and left no doubt. We were a better team because of him.

I don't know about that, Streveler created a lot of first downs they would not have made otherwise, he helped keep the offence on the field throughout the game.

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Nichols is a good QB..cerebral and efficient but not other wordly. On a good team with a nice compliment of weapons he is excellent and a guy who will win you more than you lose, but he is what he is...won't become anything more now and isn't a guy who will consistently out a team on his back and carry/will/inspire them to win by himself. He may make the odd spectacular play but it will be rare and it's not in his DNA

Strev is a different beast at this time...smart and young/inexperienced and learning the game...He is fire and determination and a outright beast who can..and has taken a game in his hands and just powered his way to succeed at any cost, its more so one dimensional to this point, but is leaps and bounds better than when he first got here...he can and has done he spectacular and sticking with him over the longterm will do it over and over and he WILL start doing it in the air...for all the detractors out there he is not just a runner....he's just been more of a runner while here than a passer, and thats due to his limited experience as a starting qb at any level.

The special thing with Strev is the team already has his respect and see's his commitment to the team and what he will do...and they will go through a wall for him, on both sides of the ball because they see him doing it on every play..and that is huge..he has that unique ability to raise the level of play of everyone..defense included and players have already said as much. 

What Streveler achieved against the Stamps was an incredible display of athleticism and brute will, but taking that amount of punishment is totally unsustainable on a game to game basis IMO, as it is I'm not all that confident he can get through two more games playing with such reckless abandon.  If Fajardo is absent or less than 80% I think Collaros can beat the Riders with limited assistance from Streveler, using him sparingly would be wise, saving his beast mode for the big day.  Against the Stamps Streveler did not attempt a single pass, he either ran or handed off every time he touched the ball, it was a freak show.

34 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't know about that, Streveler created a lot of first downs they would not have made otherwise, he helped keep the offence on the field throughout the game.

Just look at the guy on the field...He is the embodiment of a determined winner...'Put me in coach and I'll get it done' kind of guy....Streveler brings that intangible also that every team is looking for...worth his weight in gold to a team...He'll go to the wall for his team mates and they for him....It's just too bad he is nic'd right now but deep down I think that drives the guy to take his game even higher...I don't know of one team in this league that has the kind of drive he has (okay maybe Reilly on the left coast)..Lucky to have him.....having both of those guys....UNSTOPPABLE  

11 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Just look at the guy on the field...He is the embodiment of a determined winner...'Put me in coach and I'll get it done' kind of guy....Streveler brings that intangible also that every team is looking for...worth his weight in gold to a team...He'll go to the wall for his team mates and they for him....It's just too bad he is nic'd right now but deep down I think that drives the guy to take his game even higher...I don't know of one team in this league that has the kind of drive he has (okay maybe Reilly on the left coast)..Lucky to have him.....having both of those guys....UNSTOPPABLE  

the little things, those tangibles you're talking about, they're huge to a team... he seems to have a very good relationship with Nichols,  and seems to be starting one with Collaros as well... you see Streveler greeting players as they come off the field, talking them up, high fiving, etc.... you see him working the sidelines, big smile on his face, congratulating his team mates... and it all comes off as so sincere too... I don't think you could get him to pull himself out of a game, even with an appendage about to fall off... the kind of player I want on my team, for sure...

Edited by 66 Chevelle

16 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What Streveler achieved against the Stamps was an incredible display of athleticism and brute will, but taking that amount of punishment is totally unsustainable on a game to game basis IMO, as it is I'm not all that confident he can get through two more games playing with such reckless abandon.  If Fajardo is absent or less than 80% I think Collaros can beat the Riders with limited assistance from Streveler, using him sparingly would be wise, saving his beast mode for the big day.  Against the Stamps Streveler did not attempt a single pass, he either ran or handed off every time he touched the ball, it was a freak show.

I’d say you nailed it TLB in rapier like fashion. Strev’s reckless abandon could be sustainable with spinerama type moves and getting scintillating blocks. He could be helped with additional paraphenalia allowing a dipsy doodle for another glorious scoring opportunity sustaining canonading drives. Looking forward to his runs causing hair raising reaction to the enemy coach. 

Edited by Rod Black

21 hours ago, Booch said:

I couldn't recall who it was for the life of me...but when I seen him live in Oakland last week it hit me!

I also throw the ball mainly with arm and wrist like that...no strain whatsoever on the shoulder and with a flick of the wrist you be surprised the distance you can get if your strong...which Srev is

You survived a game in Oakland & lived to tell about it. I've been to Oakland four times & was glad I never had to get off the freeway except where our destination was. Just hoping I didn't have car trouble.  Laney Junior College in Oakland tried to recruit my son to play football for them. We went to a camp there at the stadium in the off season. Cops were arresting homeless people living under the stands at the football stadium everyday as the practices were going on. Each day as the camp ended as the sun was going down the head coach urged us to get to our cars & GTFOH as soon as we can. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, ddanger said:

My thoughts on our qb situation into next year......Collaros is gone. Too much risk with an injury to justify a 1st round draft choice.

Nichols I'm on the fence over. And it has to do with his shoulder. That could possibly be a career threatening injury. 

Streveler is getting significant raise and he's back. I really don't think he gets an NFL look.

Mcguire is back because he's under contract.

So, those are our 2 QB's for next season?  Because we can only have 2...  McGuire can't go on the PR without voiding the contract you are quoting...

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You survived a game in Oakland & lived to tell about it. I've been to Oaklans driven past Oakland four times & was glad I never had to get off the freeway except where our destination was. Just hoping I didn't have car trouble.  Laney Junior College tried to recruit my son to play football for them. We went to a camp there at the stadium in the off season. Cops were arresting homeless people living under the stands at the football stadium as the practices were going on. Each day as the camp ended as the sun was going down the head urged us to get to our cars & GTFOH as soon as we can. 

I hear ya...but that's where I played some of my ball so know area very...very well...I remember when living out there some teamates..former gang bangers who escaped the life took us into some areas....let me tell you I was glad we were with them as they were revered as hero's/celebrities there and made it safe...but would never have went there alone...and was told not to either hahaha

They didn't even like going back...that area is the spawning ground of what was the gangster rap/hard core hip hop scene

13 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

I’d say you nailed it TLB in rapier like fashion. Strev’s reckless abandon could be sustainable with spinerama type moves and getting scintillating blocks. He could be helped with additional paraphenalia allowing a dipsy doodle for another glorious scoring opportunity sustaining canonading drives. Looking forward to his runs causing hair raising reaction to the enemy coach. 

Are you Danny Gallivan.............lol lol

1 minute ago, Booch said:

I hear ya...but that's where I played some of my ball so know area very...very well...I remember when living out there some teamates..former gang bangers who escaped the life took us into some areas....let me tell you I was glad we were with them as they were revered as hero's/celebrities there and made it safe...but would never have went there alone...and was told not to either hahaha

They didn't even like going back...that area is the spawning ground of what was the gangster rap/hard core hip hop scene

The HC at Laney used the "cultural experience" as a way to recruit my son. As in,  a Canadian white boy from the arctic flatlands will have a unique experience understanding life on the streets in Oakland. We might have agreed until we found out there are no dorms at Laney. That my son would have to live in that war zone off campus. Uh uh. Never happened. He ended up playing JUCO at College Of The Siskiyous. 

2 minutes ago, TheAardvark said:

If Fajardo can't go for the WF, and tehy have to put in Dinwiddie, I mean Harker, that might be the Kharma wheel spinning ever so slowly in our direction...  2007 GC payback...

There's lots of potential karma in this game going back 47 years & in that time that includes a Western Final & a Grey Cup. 

1 hour ago, 66 Chevelle said:

the little things, those tangibles you're talking about, they're huge to a team... he seems to have a very good relationship with Nichols,  and seems to be starting one with Collaros as well... you see Streveler greeting players as they come off the field, talking them up, high fiving, etc.... you see him working the sidelines, big smile on his face, congratulating his team mates... and it all comes off as so sincere too... I don't think you could get him to pull himself out of a game, even with an appendage about to fall off... the kind of player I want on my team, for sure...

Agreed, except that if Streveler is going to run like that, you'd sure as spit better have a good backup, cause, he's is gonna get hurt again.

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Agreed, except that if Streveler is going to run like that, you'd sure as spit better have a good backup, cause, he's is gonna get hurt again.

Question...... why is it more probable that Big Chris is going to get hurt running the ball X amount of times in a game..... as opposed to Andrew Harris getting hurt running the ball ?....... I know the rbs can get hurt as well,  but nobody worries about it as much happening (?) 

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Question...... why is it more probable that Big Chris is going to get hurt running the ball X amount of times in a game..... as opposed to Andrew Harris getting hurt running the ball ?....... I know the rbs can get hurt as well,  but nobody worries about it as much happening (?) 

I don't believe you just asked that question. Holy ….. 

On 2019-11-11 at 9:38 AM, jammer said:

Wonder if Matt Nichols is worried about his job.Collaros brings more to the table and i would be trying to keep him.

The loss of a first round pick makes signing collaros to an extension a lot less likely. (i wonder what happens if we sign him after the draft?) Hes got a better skill set then nichols. Better arms and touch on the deep ball by a lot. But hes still a guy youre on pins and needles with. No way could I see relying on him as the starter for a whole season. 

Im sure both guys will have deals next year with some role if they desire it. I dont think either goes into a camp as the go to qb for a team though.