The Trade Thread

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Maybe but least we're not Calgary. Yikes. What's going on there? Mass exodus.

Yes, Calgary looks bad. We're losing our top two centres and elite goaltender. Also, an aging winger. That's pretty bad too. 

Edited by JCon

How much of the 8 x $8.5M Dubois contract did Jets retain? That has not been reported. It was Jets, not Kings, after all, who signed Dubois to the deal prior to transferring the contract to LA. Assuming Jets swallowed at least the first year - upfront - of his new contract.

Just now, Doublezero said:

How much of the 8 x $8.5M Dubois contract did Jets retain? That has not been reported. It was Jets, not Kings, after all, who signed Dubois to the deal prior to transferring the contract to LA. Assuming Jets swallowed at least the first year - upfront - of his new contract.

They're not keeping anything. Why would they? 

It was a sign and trade so he could get 8 years. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

They're not keeping anything. Why would they? 

It was a sign and trade so he could get 8 years. 

Why not just trade him, since the player has already agreed to the trade in principle, and let Kings negotiate the value and term? Consensus seems to be Chevy got a very good deal in a situation where Jets did not hold too many cards. So it is conceivable, since Dubois still had one year left on his old contract, that while voiding the old contract, that Jets agreed to pay the first $8.5M on the new contract upon signing. So Kings only pay 7 of the 8 years.

A line I took from a scribe from daily faceoff analyzing the trade:

'Keep in mind that Dubois wasn’t going to take an extension with a bad team. He wants to win and get paid simultaneously'. 

So the rumor 'I want to play for Montreal' was full of **** or this scribe is full of **** or a combo **** of both? 

Just now, Doublezero said:

Why not just trade him, since the player has already agreed to the trade in principle, and let Kings negotiate the value and term? Consensus seems to be Chevy got a very good deal in a situation where Jets did not hold too many cards. So it is conceivable, since Dubois still had one year left on his old contract, that while voiding the old contract, that Jets agreed to pay the first $8.5M on the new contract upon signing. So Kings only pay 7 of the 8 years.

The new contract kicks in on July 1st. He's not a Jet now. They did a sign and trade for the 8th year. 

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

'Keep in mind that Dubois wasn’t going to take an extension with a bad team. He wants to win and get paid simultaneously'. 

So the rumor 'I want to play for Montreal' was full of **** or this scribe is full of **** or a combo **** of both? 

Both. 

Also, despite the scribes saying, "sources", Harkins was never part of the deal, it seems. 

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

So….well played PLD?

2 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

You can only sign a player for a max 7 years unless he was on your team on the trade deadline of the previous year.  Then you can sign for 8.  Kings wanted him locked up for 8 as part of the deal which is why it was dependant on the sign and trade.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

His salary in year 1 is $9M with $8M of that coming in the form of a signing bonus.

It is possible the Jets paid that $8M depending on the date the signing bonus is do, but I'd hope all of that is on the Kings.   Can't see them retaining any salary beyond that.

OK that makes sense. Jets pay Dubois an $8M bonus in year 1 of the deal - to make it more palatable for LA. That's what I was trying to get at.

55 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Maybe but least we're not Calgary. Yikes. What's going on there? Mass exodus.

I was talking to a Flames fan last night and he said the problem is Kadri and Huberdeau.  Everyone on the team hates those guys.  So everyone wants out.

7 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

OK that makes sense. Jets pay Dubois an $8M bonus in year 1 of the deal - to make it more palatable for LA. That's what I was trying to get at.

yeah that just doesn't make sense.  If the Jets are forking out $8 million as part of the deal then the Kings would have had to throw something else into the pot - those three guys and a 2nd are worth a PLD, but not PLD AND $8 million USD.  No way.

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah that just doesn't make sense.  If the Jets are forking out $8 million as part of the deal then the Kings would have had to throw something else into the pot - those three guys and a 2nd are worth a PLD, but not PLD AND $8 million USD.  No way.

A month ago Dubois still had one year left on his old contract before becoming a UFA. So that old deal had to be voided before a new deal could be done. Pat Brisson, Dubois' agent, said 2 weeks ago that the player was not signing an extension with Jets. Then he signs an 8 year extension with the Jets. That new contract gets traded to Kings. I'm suggesting it is conceivable the Jets paid some of the $68M - as an inducement to Dubois accept the terms of the extension and to the Kings to part with those 3 players plus draft pick.

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

No, he's not a Jet. They are not paying him anything on July 1st. 

They don't have to pay him anything on July 1 if they've already paid $8M bonus on signing.

3 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

A month ago Dubois still had one year left on his old contract before becoming a UFA. So that old deal had to be voided before a new deal could be done. Pat Brisson, Dubois' agent, said 2 weeks ago that the player was not signing an extension with Jets. Then he signs an 8 year extension with the Jets. That new contract gets traded to Kings. I'm suggesting it is conceivable the Jets paid some of the $68M - as an inducement to Dubois accept the terms of the extension and to the Kings to part with those 3 players plus draft pick.

They don't have to pay him anything on July 1 if they've already paid $8M bonus on signing.

But why on Earth would the Jets pay $8 million dollars of Dubois salary? That does not make any sense whatsoever. 

He signed only as part of a sign and trade. That contract was negotiated with the Kings, not the Jets. Jets don't care what he's getting paid. So, effectively, he did not extend with the Jets, it was just a paper process so he could get 8 years. 

There has been no suggestions anywhere I have seen that have the Jets retaining anything, never mind $8 million(!!!).  

8 minutes ago, JCon said:

But why on Earth would the Jets pay $8 million dollars of Dubois salary? That does not make any sense whatsoever. 

He signed only as part of a sign and trade. That contract was negotiated with the Kings, not the Jets. Jets don't care what he's getting paid. So, effectively, he did not extend with the Jets, it was just a paper process so he could get 8 years. 

There has been no suggestions anywhere I have seen that have the Jets retaining anything, never mind $8 million(!!!).  

I agree. Makes no sense that the Jets would part with any of their hard-earned cash.

37 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Jets had one year of control left a month ago, but Dubois, as an RFA did not yet have a contract for next year so there is no deal to be voided.

Also, the Jets did not retain any salary in this deal.  LA is on the hook for the whole shebang.  The return was larger (i.e. the 3 players plus a pick) as PLD is now locked into for 8 years instead of the uncertainty of only having 1 year of control prior to UFA status.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Hopefully you talked slowly and used small words.

heh, yeah for sure.  This guy was a life long Stamps fan as well but he's so fed up with the lack of leadership in Calgary, the on field product, and the garbage stadium that he's considering just walking away from the CFL for good.  Pretty sad situation there, after being a league powerhouse for so many years.

No trades involving any 23 1sts today. None. Zero. No teams. 

Wheeler is being bought out. 

Scheifele? Nobody has really said anything unless u believe random Twitter ppl but the insiders like Dreger and Pagnotta, both very right on Dubois, haven't said 55 for sure wants out, 55 could sign an extension here. It's likely actually.  Helle? Appears once teams knew his ask was 9 million plus long term,  hush, shhh, quiet. 

Still think helle goes, prob NJ but maybe not with an extension in place like Dubois had. 55? I think he might be back, he's close with Josh and Adam 

Mark might only get a long term contract from Winnipeg so. Who knows 

They say Jets shopping Dillon and Stanley tho so maybe we see some trades for picks tomorrow 

Edited by Goalie

21 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Nothing retained according to Friedman. Jets had to be able to fit the 1st year under the cap when signing him, and that was immediately alleviated upon the trade. All salary paid by Kings.

Nope. In order to entice PLD to not walk to UFA it was 8x8.5. The fact he had 1 year remaining is irrelevant. Had the Kings said give us that year and we will sign you to a 7 year extension next year, this trade does not get done as a sign and trade and the Jets value on the trade takes the hit and PLD walks to FA next year. 

Jets would never, ever do that. That would be beyond dumb.

Edited by GCn20

21 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I was talking to a Flames fan last night and he said the problem is Kadri and Huberdeau.  Everyone on the team hates those guys.  So everyone wants out.

We are a cap team. If we took an 8 million cap hit for a player that isn't even here it would be just about the dumbest thing ever by any GM of all time. Didn't happen and I am flabbergasted anyone would entertain the idea we would eat 8 million salary for one year. Chevy made a great trade. That is all that happened. 

There is absolutely zero chance we would give 8m in cap space away, we simply don't have it to give.

21 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Poor Calgary fan....in denial. Everyone wanted out before Kadri and Huberdeau. Has nothing to do with Kadri and Huberdeau and everything to do with Calgary being a small Canadian city on the decline in recent years.

Edited by GCn20

The Flames biggest mistake a few years back was holding onto Johnny Hockey for their playoff run and then getting nothing for him, let that be a lesson for the Jets if they can't trade Helle and or Scheifele this off season and somehow are in the playoff hunt.