GDT - Little Kitties @ Blue Bombers

JCon

22 minutes ago, Carlos Harper said:

Agree 100%. Good post.

Authority without responsibility. Goes all the way back to the board of directors.

Change needs to start at the top.

It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

- Thomas Sowell

Edited by Deiter Fan

27 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

You must be the last person here to get it ..... I do NOT hate Nichols.  I just know he ain't winning anybody a grey cup, so next man up.   My comments towards him as a player are no different than what anybody else does here when they feel a player is not pulling his weight.  

Thanks again for the wife comment.  She is home healing as best she can and hopefully the future still holds some fun for us.  I do not want to post about her anymore here as the board has been gracious enough all ready letting me vent a bit.  Thanks.

O'Shea will be bringing him back next season. Especially if Streveler doesn't do well or win us games the rest of the way.  Be prepared for that. 

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Is that the only option that you can see- that if the current coaches are fired that there will be no one to replace them?  

First off- We need to upgrade both our coordinators.

Right now, all I see is every tom, **** and jane along with their dog are bitching, calling bloody murder, pulling out the torches and pitchforks while the others heat up the tar and collect the feathers, while other posters are starting up the bus and others grabbing the megaphone and shrilly calling for Hall and Lapos heads.

What I don't see from the frothing masses (except for @rebusrankin- the dinwiddie suggestion is interesting)? Suggestions. Constructive criticism. People offering up candidates to replace H&L.  

That's what I would like to see: some suggestions, actual viable candidates would be best.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

should be openings in BC, and Toronto for Lapo. maybe Edmonton. unless oshea goes to trawna. brought back pinball, he probably is friends with Oshea.

I guess if maas surives ricky ray will get a job there.

cant see popp chamblin surviving in toronto.

Don't understand the thinking behind bringing in guys like paopao and mike sherman.

Edited by Mark F

20 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

First off- We need to upgrade both our coordinators.

Right now, all I see is ever tom, **** and jane along with their dog are bitching, calling bloody murder, pulling out the torches and pitchforks while the others heat up the tar and collect the feathers, while other posters are starting up the bus and others grabbing the megaphone and shrilly calling for Hall and Lapos heads.

What I don't see from the frothing masses (except for @rebusrankin- the dinwiddie suggestion is interesting)? Suggestions. Constructive criticism. People offering up candidates to replace H&L.  

That's what I would like to see: some suggestions, actual viable candidates would be best.

It doesn't make much sense piling on the wounded. I don't see how it would help.

I did mention Buck Pierce and Devon Claybrooks if he got fired in BC. Someone mentioned Rick Campbell but I don't see him and O'Shea coexisting. Noeller tells us that OSH will definitely be here next year so does that mean he fires Hall and Lapo? Whoah! 

40 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Buck Pierce and Jordan Younger are the next OC/DC of the WBBFC.... nobody else. And Osh isn't going anywhere... Don't be ridiculous. 

This is O'Shea's last year of the three year extension he signed in 2016. It's odd that there has been no talk of extending him again. Maybe they are waiting for the off-season to do it. 

2 minutes ago, J5V said:

This is O'Shea's last year of the three year extension he signed in 2016. It's odd that there has been no talk of extending him again. Maybe they are waiting for the off-season to do it. 

Of course they are! Does Osh strike you as the kind of guy who wants to be bothered mid-season? He's his own agent, as we've discussed on here many many times, so he's not going to say boo word one about contracts until well after the season is done. 

17 minutes ago, J5V said:

Won't be surprised to learn the extension is already done for 3 more years.

Not the first time this regime has been slow coming forth with details.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

O'Shea will be bringing him back next season. Especially if Streveler doesn't do well or win us games the rest of the way.  Be prepared for that. 

I have very little doubt that if he's able Matt comes back next year...and even if Chris lights it up the rest of the season and takes us to a cup Matt will still get preference. I just don't see O'Shea allowing Matt to lose his status because of an injury. If the battle in camp is remotely close even if Chris shows a bit better I contend Matt would still get the job due to experience and loyalty.

3 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

He may find he held a stronger bargaining position mid-season than he will at the end.

Fair point but this season isn't over yet and anything can happen in the CFL. If we get hot at the end of the season we can definitely run the table and end the drought. Imagine his bargaining power then.  :-)

He has a very good regular season winning percentage and he has built a good team out of an inherited mess. We look to be a winning team again this year so he has those bargaining chips.

The knock against him is his winning percentage in the playoffs. He is also well-known to be stubborn, too loyal to under-performing players, and has a perplexing tendency to pick poor offensive and defensive coordinators. 

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

Fair point but this season isn't over yet and anything can happen in the CFL. If we get hot at the end of the season we can definitely run the table and end the drought. Imagine his bargaining power then.  :-)

He has a very good regular season winning percentage and he has built a good team out of an inherited mess. We look to be a winning team again this year so he has those bargaining chips.

The knock against him is his winning percentage in the playoffs. He is also well-known to be stubborn, too loyal to under-performing players, and has a perplexing tendency to pick poor offensive and defensive coordinators. 

I guess I just don't see making it to the playoffs that major a feat when 70% of teams do it every year. Sure it means you're not a raging dumpster fire but it also aint no miraculous achievement.

I will grant you the season isn't over by a long shot and we have a chance but he better get this team rallied and fired up for the last 4 games or they'll promptly be shown the door in the playoffs.

Edited by Deiter Fan

I've watched enough football to know that sometimes a leader emerges among the players that galvanizes a struggling group into an unbeatable cohesive team. Sometimes they lead by their play on the field, sometimes by what they say in the locker room, sometimes by their demeanor at other times.

Chris Streveler strikes me as such a leader. As long as he is playing for this team I believe they have a chance to win. The way he played in the Banjo Bowl after we lost the LDC was a good example. This guy would do anything to win, it burns in him and it shows. If I was a Bomber player there is no way I'd want this guy in my face telling me I was dogging it and to get my **** together.

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If we have another failed season then good luck selling continuity to the fans. That would just make no sense & they'd lose even more fans. But this organization? Wouldn't surprise me. Everybody seems to be buddy, buddy friends rather than co workers. Loyalty over results. 

I posted in the other forum that the Bombers have failed to draw a crowd over 25,500 this year, not including the Banjo Bowl, for the first time in the history of the IG Field.  This after 4 seasons (including this one) of better than .500 ball.  Frustration turning to apathy plays a role as well as high ticket prices in the lower bowl which have only been somewhat addressed with the introduction of family season tickets, student season tickets and individual family packs.  There are more and more seats becoming available between the 30s, which used to be sold out...a result of charging new season ticketholders over $1000 per seat for non-club seats and $150 per game.  Seats between the 10 yard line and corner end zones continue to sit largely empty at those high prices.  Miller has to take part of the blame for this.

As for O'shea, his contract is up this year and if he is one and done in the semi-finals (assuming the Bombers don't turn things around to finish first), he won't be back.  1 playoff win in 6 seasons.  Try to find the last CFL coach who lasted into a 7th season with 1 playoff win and no division titles.  I think you will be looking back decades to find one...in fact, I'm not sure it has ever happened.  It could also be the Argos or Redblacks (I think they keep Campbell for one more season,) offer a lucrative contract offer a more lucrative contract that O'shea jumps at as soon as the season is over.  

Even if O'Shea makes it to the divisional finals and loses I think it's a 50-50 proposition at best that he is back.  Barely above .500 in 6 seasons and no real progress towards a Grey Cup by the looks of this season...him going to bat for Richie Hall this off-season with more of the same results.  He has to wear that.  No, the more I think about it, the more it seems likely anything less than a Grey Cup appearance will likely result in the end of the O'shea era in Winnipeg...should be the end of Richie Hall and Lapo as well...unless Lapo replaces O'shea as head coach.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I Don't think very much to be honest. I mean after we dip him in gold and put him up as a statue on the Blue Bomber altar, i don't think he has much leverage nor the ability to talk...