GDT - Little Kitties @ Blue Bombers

JCon

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

If you were the boss, would you be willing to move on from Lapo and replace him with Buck Pierce?

If you were the boss, would you be willing to move on from RHall and replace him with Devon Claybrooks (if he gets fired from BC)?

If coaches aren't held accountable then how can players be expected to be? At some point, changes need to be made.  Year after year of the same old isn't the answer either. Besides, who knows what assistants may be available. As far as Claybrooks  goes, he was a very good DC with the Stamps. Maybe that is his true level of competence. Not everyone can be a good HC.

I don't see Kyle Walters moving on from Mike O'Shea. I think MOS has a HC job here as long as he wants it. It is possible that MOS may want to move on though (if his facial expressions and defeated body language of late is any indication).

Should that happen, the new HC here would likely bring in his own OC and DC. Otherwise, I see MOS, Lapo and Hall being here for years to come which may not be a bad thing, continuity and all that.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I don't see Kyle Walters moving on from Mike O'Shea. I think MOS has a HC job here as long as he wants it. It is possible that MOS may want to move on though (if his facial expressions and defeated body language of late is any indication).

Should that happen, the new HC here would likely bring in his own OC and DC. Otherwise, I see MOS, Lapo and Hall being here for years to come which may not be a bad thing, continuity and all that.

Because its been working so well for us the past few years....

Edited by Tracker

31 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's always the fall back excuse. Don't replace them because who else is out there? Great reason to keep shitty coaches. 

Like I said- that is fair criticism, but you still need a D and o coordinator don't You? So based on the fact you need these coordinators who would you replace them with? 

I would really like your input on that.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

14 minutes ago, J5V said:

If we have another failed season then good luck selling continuity to the fans. That would just make no sense & they'd lose even more fans. But this organization? Wouldn't surprise me. Everybody seems to be buddy, buddy friends rather than co workers. Loyalty over results. 

3 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Like I said- that is fair criticism, but you still need a D and o coordinator don't You? So based on the fact you need these coordinators who would you replace them with? 

I would really like your input on that.

Well, like anything else when a position opens up you find out who is interested & /or available. And qualified coaches will be available. You don't, as an organization, become afraid to make a change because you don't know who is available. You'll never find out by being scared to make changes. 

During the Hamilton game TSN kept showing Lapo upstairs calling down plays. Then we could watch what was called being executed on the field. It was very interesting. Hamilton seemed to have the perfect response on D to everything Lapo was calling. I kept thinking how frustrating that must have been for Lapo. Hamilton was so good at countering Lapo's calls that Simoni Lawrence set a CFL record for tackles because he was always in the right place at the right time and the ball seemed to just come to him.

Just now, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, like anything else when a position opens up you find out who is interested & /or available. And qualified coaches will be available. You don't, as an organization, become afraid to make a change because you don't know who is available. You'll never find out by being scared to make changes. 

Totally fair points.

Who would you have replaced those two with then? Who was available then? I know you don't have the same resources at finding coordinators as the bombers do- but I am interested if you had anyone in mind.

The thing that concerns me about the Bombers is it seems that there isn't an employer-employee relationship with the team. More like from Wade Miller on down to assistant coaches & scouts everyone seems like they're  all one big happy family. All close friends. Which really makes it difficult to replace someone when it needs to happen. It's hard to fire your best friend on staff if you're management or O'Shea as HC. That's just the impression I get. These guys seem to be really tight & I don't think that is necessarily a good thing. There needs to be a little fear that if you don't do your job then you are replaceable.  If Wade Miller & Kyle Walters are standing on the sidelines with serious looks on their faces then people should be concerned. I don't get that impression with the Bombers. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

6 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Totally fair points.

Who would you have replaced those two with then? Who was available then? I know you don't have the same resources at finding coordinators as the bombers do- but I am interested if you had anyone in mind.

It all comes down to contracts & who would be available now after this season that the CFL has cracked down on coaches jumping teams. Othjers will become available because they were fired as a staff when the HC gets canned. Some coaches would be available while others wouldn't.  There are some good people who would become available. I just can't say who. 

I'd be curious to see a guy like Ryan Dinwiddie as our OC. He's been QB coach the past four years in Calgary and to me that's a great coaching education working with Dickenson and Huffnagel. I'd be down with bringing in Dinwiddie as OC to implement more of an offensive system like Calgary runs with Arbuckle or Evans as QB.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd be curious to see a guy like Ryan Dinwiddie as our OC. He's been QB coach the past four years in Calgary and to me that's a great coaching education working with Dickenson and Huffnagel. I'd be down with bringing in Dinwiddie as OC to implement more of an offensive system like Calgary runs with Arbuckle or Evans as QB.

Yeah, he would be a guy I'd be interested in as the offense would be totally different. For one thing, Harris & Augustine would platoon. Not only would it keep both players fresh which for Harris at 33 wouldn't be a bad thing.  We'd also get away from a run heavy offense that I believe is holding this team back at the present time. We'd finally have more of a vertical passing attack.  We'd be attacking downfield constantly.  Arbuckle would probably want to play for Dinwiddie.  However, that won't happen under O'Shea. At least I'd be surprised if it did. I think Nichols would flourish under the Stamps system.  He's no BLM but he'd certainly understand the terminology & concepts. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I disagree- it's better to have mediocre coaches than no coaches at all. 

To be fair- Lapo and Hall aren't shitty coaches, nor are they incompetent- they are mediocre to above mediocre- just not GREAT coaches.

Is that the only option that you can see- that if the current coaches are fired that there will be no one to replace them?  

20 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Sorry, my real  life has been most important these past few weeks.   

And seriously Nichols,  as sad as it is,  is probably done as a pro player.

Sorry about your wife once again but if you really have nothing to say then why say it? Like we don't know you hate Nichols???????? Colour me surprised. 

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sorry about your wife once again but if you really have nothing to say then why say it? Like we don't know you hate Nichols???????? Colour me surprised. 

You must be the last person here to get it ..... I do NOT hate Nichols.  I just know he ain't winning anybody a grey cup, so next man up.   My comments towards him as a player are no different than what anybody else does here when they feel a player is not pulling his weight.  

Thanks again for the wife comment.  She is home healing as best she can and hopefully the future still holds some fun for us.  I do not want to post about her anymore here as the board has been gracious enough all ready letting me vent a bit.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The thing that concerns me about the Bombers is it seems that there isn't an employer-employee relationship with the team. More like from Wade Miller on down to assistant coaches & scouts everyone seems like they're  all one big happy family. All close friends. Which really makes it difficult to replace someone when it needs to happen. It's hard to fire your best friend on staff if you're management or O'Shea as HC. That's just the impression I get. These guys seem to be really tight & I don't think that is necessarily a good thing. There needs to be a little fear that if you don't do your job then you are replaceable.  If Wade Miller & Kyle Walters are standing on the sidelines with serious looks on their faces then people should be concerned. I don't get that impression with the Bombers. 

Agree 100%. Good post.

Authority without responsibility. Goes all the way back to the board of directors.

Change needs to start at the top.

59 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think almost anyone who's watched 5 minutes of CFL football would be a better play caller than Lapo.  The Bombers have no screen game with either QB, and no throwing 3 yard suicide passes to Harris repeatedly and hoping he bounces off the first big hit isn't a screen game.  Lapolice at his best relies on a lot of horizontal misdirection, he's never been very good at challenging a defense vertically without this, even with a back like Harris.

How are guys like Evans, Arbuckle, Fajardo piling up yards?  Their OC's run an effective screen game and that opens up plays in the mid-range and downfield.