GDT - Little Kitties @ Blue Bombers

JCon

My worst fears about the team have been realized. When we are assessing the team, it is a package- player talent, player effort, recruitment and coaching. However, it appears to me that the talent is there, but the coaching fails at the worst times. Has the coaching staff lost the confidence of the players? Have the players lost confidence in each other and themselves as a team? The reality is that it is too late to make wholesale player changes and if I am right about the coaches being the biggest problem, that would make little or no difference anyways. Over the past couple of months, the Riders have been a better team and the comparative records support this. The prospects for the rest of the season and the playoffs look pretty dim right now and I have lost confidence that the current regime can turn the ship around. We will make the playoffs but we are into next year country. Again. If Walters isn't part of the solution, then he is part of the problem and I really like what he has done to date.

I was sitting right behind the bench yesterday.  Hall was talking to Rios and Sayles & showing them plays on the Ipad almost non-stop, for most of the first half. Eventually it was clear that they weren't listening anymore.  Hecht tried to give them his 0.02 as well, which was laughable.  

13 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I was sitting right behind the bench yesterday.  Hall was talking to Rios and Sayles & showing them plays on the Ipad almost non-stop, for most of the first half. Eventually it was clear that they weren't listening anymore.  Hecht tried to give them his 0.02 as well, which was laughable.  

Hall was on the sidelines? Thought he was up in the booth all the time 

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

correct me if I am wrong- They had a lot of success because of timed routes coupled with Max protection- it didn't seem to me that Dane was going through any real read progression, it seemed more like he was counting and placed the ball where the receiver should be at a certain time- with great success. 

Yup they used a lot of twin SB/TE formations.....and Evans was just throwing the ball to spots, where the receiver would just run to it.     

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue said:

NFL cuts are not going to help us, unless it is a guy who has played in the CFL already. NFL cuts who have never seen the CFL game before need to come in and learn the differences in the game. Guess what, the guys on our practice roster were also NFL cuts once, just last year's class. They are actually better off because they have learned our system.

I don't know?  I think if there is one area where a player can make an immediate transition from the American to Canadian game, it is in the secondary.  Pass coverage is pass coverage, and if a guy is fast enough with good vision, I don't care if he's never even seen a CFL game, he should be able to cover.  But, that said... In Hall's scheme, where there is little to no man coverage, it would probably be a waste of talent!

There is the pre-snap motion that will be a little different, but a talented DB should be able to adapt pretty quick.  Who knows, maybe it would be too late in the season!?  I just feel something needs to change, and quick!

Edited by trueBlue83

6 hours ago, Mark F said:

starting to seem like La Police is not the person to help a quarterback thrive and gain confidence.

Streveller is going backwards, started full of confidence and fire, and already looks defeated.

after the crisp td drive, nothing LaPolice did worked.

although hard to do anything when your  O line isn't good. This crap O line might be the biggest surprise to me.

Why is Gray sitting?

15 hours ago, Tracker said:

TiCats had no running game, but managed to win because Bombers had no pass defence. Bombers had not much of a running game or passing game. Game, set, match.

O'Shea in post-game had no answers, only cliches and vagueness. 

C'mon, man! When has O'Shea ever supplied anything but? Year one it was always..."Can't say, I haven't watched the film." He did that for that entire abysmal year. Then, I can only assume someone in upper mgmt told him to fackin' stop saying that. So he did. But he's never replaced it with anything meaningful. He has also been ridiculously slow to acknowledge problems throughout his 6 year run. First year the Blue gave up outrageous run yardage and he informed us (via Bob I.) that run defense doesn't matter (only running counter to a 100+ years of football logic). Now, yesterday, he sorta admits stopping others in second and long might be a problem...14 games into the season? C'mon, man!

14 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I am hoping they were doing this just to mock the Riders.

Even if it was done to ridicule the riders, what a seriously ODD time to choose to do it. I mean, down by 14 pts in the 4th quarter and you finally made ONE fackin' play - one single, solitary meaningful play - and you choose THAT time to break out your "sense of humour"????

Brain dead.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

We've been complaining about the same things in the secondary the entire time we've had Hall and the same things on offense the entire time Lapo has been here (like going back to 2002). Both need the apple and the roadmap.

Why do we need to give them the Apple? Just the roadmap would be all I would give them (and charge them for the roadmap)! :)

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

The difficult part is that Hamilton has our number in the first loss as well...  this game was simply a repeat of the same issues without any adjustments

my worry is that Lapo is checked out and Hall is just incompetent 

And what about their boss? Does he get a free pass? You know, the guy who keeps bringing them back for more mediocrity?

Pains me to ask cuz I like the guy, but has WJ5 been reading his own press clippings too much, or is he injured?

He doesn't seem to want to make any push or force,

Has his moments,  when he buckles down and bill rushes he still gets it done 

He is pulling up and going for the pick or knockdown way too much

Many plays he was separated from his blocker by 2 or 3 yards 

Jeffcoat is playing like willie should be

( but other ex riders are hurting you more)

Edited by VoR

28 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Yup- Legit question. 

Furthermore- which two coordinators (any two, regardless if they are taken) would be a best fit for Osh? Best fit in terms of coaching style and desired play style. 

There really no good argument to be made for keeping incompetent coaches just because you cannot think offhand of who would be better. O'Shea has obviously made the decision that these (Hall and LaPolice) were keepers, and if he cannot see the problems or is just plain too stubborn to change, then he has put his own head on the chopping block.

23 minutes ago, Tracker said:

There really no good argument to be made for keeping incompetent coaches just because you cannot think offhand of who would be better. O'Shea has obviously made the decision that these (Hall and LaPolice) were keepers, and if he cannot see the problems or is just plain too stubborn to change, then he has put his own head on the chopping block.

I disagree- it's better to have mediocre coaches than no coaches at all. 

To be fair- Lapo and Hall aren't shitty coaches, nor are they incompetent- they are mediocre to above mediocre- just not GREAT coaches.

I

24 minutes ago, Tracker said:

If this keeps up you might need hip waiters at the chopping block....it might be a blood bath. Going to be tough to sell the “ we need to be patient”.   My patience..is on life support.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Yup- Legit question. 

Furthermore- which two coordinators (any two, regardless if they are taken) would be a best fit for Osh? Best fit in terms of coaching style and desired play style. 

That's always the fall back excuse. Don't replace them because who else is out there? Great reason to keep shitty coaches. 

1 hour ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

And what about their boss? Does he get a free pass? You know, the guy who keeps bringing them back for more mediocrity?

If you were the boss, would you be willing to move on from Lapo and replace him with Buck Pierce?

If you were the boss, would you be willing to move on from RHall and replace him with Devon Claybrooks (if he gets fired from BC)?

1 minute ago, J5V said:

If you were the boss, would you be willing to move on from Lapo and replace him with Buck Pierce?

If you were the boss, would you be willing to move on from RHall and replace him with Devon Claybrooks (if he gets fired from BC)?

I can’t see Claybrooks getting gunned after one year. Then Hervey would have to admit he made a mistake right out of the blocks. This is the brother-in-law organization. Nobody got hired that was going to challenge the next guy in the pecking order. Miller hires Walters, Walters hires his buddy MOS, who hires Coordinators that he feels safe with. Then a host of less than experienced assistant coaches. Connect the dots and this is where we are at.