3 stars plus HH turn overs eat us raw

wbbfan

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

We came out down 6 0. 1st play incomplete.. 2nd play.. Pick 6. We didnt even try to establish a run game. Lol at pretending lapo adjusts in game. Game plan did not include Harris today. 

Agree we needed to use Harris more but to characterize the first play on offence as "incomplete" is a little misleading, that was a 2 foot shovel pass to Lucky Whitehead.... it's a pass on the stat sheet but that is essentially a run play.

37 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Agree we needed to use Harris more but to characterize the first play on offence as "incomplete" is a little misleading, that was a 2 foot shovel pass to Lucky Whitehead.... it's a pass on the stat sheet but that is essentially a run play.

True. Just kind of set the tone tho. Simple shovel pass... Incomplete

53 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Ball security has not been that great this year, there have been a number of flubbed hand-offs to Harris although not many have been lost to the other team it is a sign of poor attention to detail and a lack of concentration.

4 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Ball security has not been that great this year, there have been a number of flubbed hand-offs to Harris although not many have been lost to the other team it is a sign of poor attention to detail and a lack of concentration.

And eventually the opposition makes note of it in the film room and capitalizes. 

You can expect usually one dud a year..I guess this was ours.

Bad game plan from the get go..regardless of behind early..it was 6 minutes into the game so that's not an excuse and to suggest we tossed our game plan.

Lapo usually has a head scratcher or 2 a season like that.. I blame the ineptitude on him..and the fact Nichols was off last night..hence more reason to run  the ball.

Also..a healthy dose of Matthew's would have been key this game and made a huge difference.. especially when it seemed we couldn't get any receivers freed up..his stature alone out there and his presence/experience would have been huge...for all Lucky's good things for now he should be a 70 per cent of reps guy..rotated in for all the imports so teams cant just key on him when he is in always in same set or scheme.

He's being swarmed now and without Matthew's presence out there as a mid range and vertical threat it's making things congested and tough 

If next game Matthew's isnt in for Walker then our coaches need a smack upside the head.

Just pulled in from Fargo:

There are turnovers, where the D makes a good play, and simply dumb turnovers, when you just cough it up. Bombers way too many, of the latter.
For the first time, Bombers were real slow out of the gate, on both sides of the ball, this almost seemed to throw them off kilter, rest of nite.....
...throwing the ball, almost 50 times, against a team that struggles against the run.
Add bad overthrows, by Nichols, receivers struggling to get open, then dropping like flies
Against a good team, coming off bye at home....needed the A game.....didn't come close.
Well deserved loss....

Edited by do or die

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/07/27/upon-review-wpg-15-ham-23/

NICHOLS DIDN’T MINCE WORDS when he met with the media following the game, immediately accepting the blame for his poorest game since last year’s Banjo Bowl. He entered the game with an active streak of 19 straight completions, but had that snapped on the first pass attempt when a shovel to Lucky Whitehead was dropped. His next attempt was intercepted and returned to the one-yard line, helping give Hamilton a 14-0 just seven minutes into the game.

“For whatever reason, on two of the plays (interceptions) the ball kinda came out of the side of my hand,” Nichols explained. “I had open guys and was on the right read, but the ball came off the side of my hand twice and went 10 yards over where I was trying to throw it. It doesn’t ever happen in like one in a thousand throws, but it happened twice tonight. It’s brutal, but that’s the way this position goes. And that first one was the difference in the game score-wise, momentum-wise, everything. I had a guy open on a curl route and the ball just floated out of the side of my hand. It’s unfortunate.”

“I’ve been on a lot of really good football teams and a lot of the best teams I’ve been on, sometimes a loss like this isn’t the worst thing to bring the realization that you’re not just going to go out and beat everyone by 30 points,” Nichols added. “This will be a great learning experience for everyone, including myself, that we need to play better football to win football games.”

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/07/27/upon-review-wpg-15-ham-23/

NICHOLS DIDN’T MINCE WORDS when he met with the media following the game, immediately accepting the blame for his poorest game since last year’s Banjo Bowl. He entered the game with an active streak of 19 straight completions, but had that snapped on the first pass attempt when a shovel to Lucky Whitehead was dropped. His next attempt was intercepted and returned to the one-yard line, helping give Hamilton a 14-0 just seven minutes into the game.

“For whatever reason, on two of the plays (interceptions) the ball kinda came out of the side of my hand,” Nichols explained. “I had open guys and was on the right read, but the ball came off the side of my hand twice and went 10 yards over where I was trying to throw it. It doesn’t ever happen in like one in a thousand throws, but it happened twice tonight. It’s brutal, but that’s the way this position goes. And that first one was the difference in the game score-wise, momentum-wise, everything. I had a guy open on a curl route and the ball just floated out of the side of my hand. It’s unfortunate.”

“I’ve been on a lot of really good football teams and a lot of the best teams I’ve been on, sometimes a loss like this isn’t the worst thing to bring the realization that you’re not just going to go out and beat everyone by 30 points,” Nichols added. “This will be a great learning experience for everyone, including myself, that we need to play better football to win football games.”

Yes, "we" need to play a helluva lot better to beat good teams. 

It isn't typical of nichols to over throw deep balls. He has tended to miss Short and forced wrs to come back to the ball. 

Throwing the ball high / behind on medium passes is a typical sign of when he is struggling. 

When struggling he often winds up before his throw slowing down his release. 

Nichols saw lots of pressure and other then check downs the pass game struggled. We should have had better game planning before the game for that pressure. And adjustments. 

Nichols and this offense have the tools to beat pressure but didn't. Out side of Harris and run blocking our entire offense has to be better. And I'm sure it will be. 

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It isn't typical of nichols to over throw deep balls. He has tended to miss Short and forced wrs to come back to the ball. 

Throwing the ball high / behind on medium passes is a typical sign of when he is struggling. 

When struggling he often winds up before his throw slowing down his release. 

Nichols saw lots of pressure and other then check downs the pass game struggled. We should have had better game planning before the game for that pressure. And adjustments. 

Nichols and this offense have the tools to beat pressure but didn't. Out side of Harris and run blocking our entire offense has to be better. And I'm sure it will be. 

Any idea why we couldn't throw Streveler in when happy feet Nichols gets into a funk? Or is this just too 1980's CFL?

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Any idea why we couldn't throw Streveler in when happy feet Nichols gets into a funk? Or is this just too 1980's CFL?

On the radio this morning Bauming suggested that they left him in to give Nichols a chance to show that when the team needs him that he can pull through with a game winning drive at the end of the game.   

It made me think of all the times that Calvillo (or any of the other greats) would march down the field and take control of the offense and pull through at the end of the game.   It would be nice to know that Nichols can do this more often then not.