Training Camp Cuts

Jpan85

Just now, 17to85 said:

Fact is that Peterman has made plays every time he has got a chance, wolitarski made plays when he got a chance... simonise made a play and that's about it. Earn your spot, he didn't do it. 

Say what you will about Kyle Walter's but he is not sentimental about his draft picks. He moves on when guys don't show enough.

Yep. Everyone makes bad draft picks. But too many can't move past them. That said it's easier to when you have the depth that we have

11 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Not saying that Simonise will ever be great, let alone good but he was always miles better than Ekakitie. That guy was a disaster the moment he was drafted. The worst example of being afraid to draft a guy who would test the NFL at 1. 

Lol I got ripped to shreds on this board for saying that Ekakitie was a terrible pick. 

17 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I think it's the special teams factor. He doesn't play them. And he is falling behind as far as being a consistent receiver. Does he still have potential? Loads. Hope it doesn't bite us. But the roster is an organic thing. We may end up signing a proven Canadian WR somewhere down the line when we need one. But we definitely don't now and we definitely don't need someone who can't help us this year

Assuming you’re talking about Simonise... he did play teams last year... he even had a punt block... I think he just failed to progress like they had hoped and other guys were just better... 

its actually great that the bombers are in a position to cut good players bc they have better ones... it’s been a long time since they could do that... (other than the last few years)

Not surprised about Simonise, but disappointed. I thought he would have a breakout season this year, but he just did not take that next step forward to prove he was a legit starter. I owe O'Shea an apology. I did not think Bennett would get cut but if a rookie QB comes into camp and is as good a s a vet who is probably earning more, the writing is on the wall.

RIDERS TRANSACTIONS 

The Saskatchewan Roughriders announced the following roster moves:

ADDED TO THE PRACTICE ROSTER:

• International offensive lineman Rene Brassea
  • International defensive back Blace Brown
  • National defensive lineman Charbel Dabire
  • International defensive lineman Jeremy Faulk
  • International defensive back Javier Garcia
  • International defensive lineman Chester Graves
  • International wide receiver Carlos Henderson
  • International defensive back L.J. McCray
  • International wide receiver Paul McRoberts
  • International running back Jamal Morrow
  • National wide receiver Mitchell Picton
  • National offensive lineman Braden Schram

RETURNED TO JUNIOR

• National offensive lineman Logan Ferland
  • National defensive back Colton Holmes
  • National wide receiver Greg Lamb
  • National offensive lineman Mason Ochs

RELEASED

• International defensive back Valentino Blake
  • National defensive lineman Mathieu Breton
  • International defensive back Crezdon Butler
  • International running back James Butler
  • International wide receiver Kyle Davis
  • National defensive back Jacob Dearborn
  • International wide receiver Austin Ellsworth
  • International quarterback Ty Gangi
  • International defensive lineman Chad Geter
  • International wide receiver Donald Gray
  • National defensive back Jacob Janke
  • National linebacker Christopher Judge
  • International linebacker Deon King
  • National defensive lineman Tresor Mafuta
  • International wide receiver Sebastien Olvera
  • International offensive lineman E.J. Price
  • International defensive lineman Gerald Rivers
  • International defensive back Stephen Roberts
  • National offensive lineman Vincent Roy
  • National kicker Sean Stenger
  • International offensive lineman Travis Vornkahl
  • International quarterback David Watford
  • International wide receiver Malik Wilson

13 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Lol I got ripped to shreds on this board for saying that Ekakitie was a terrible pick. 

Wouldn’t have been by me but most people on this board don’t want to hear that the new player drafted with the top pick is going to be garbage sight unseen. Even if it’s true. 

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

Cutting a guy with a ton of talent for drops in one game is not the way I would go about things. It’s how you end up gifting another team 5 years of prime Adarius Bowman. And that was at least an issue with drops over an entire season. Not saying this will burn us for sure, but he was the only Canadian receiver of that body type and type of talent that we had. 

Or it's how you end up paying Brock Ralph 6 figures hoping he'll be good because he's tall and fast.

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

When you draft as well as Walters has this is going to be the reality far more often than not. Teams will wait for our cuts rather than us being the ones who have to go dumpster diving looking for treasure.

I don’t think Walters has drafted poorly but I think he gets a reputation for being a great drafter that isn’t completely earned. Gray and Peterman are the only two guys left from the 17 and 18 drafts on this team. 

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Or it's how you end up paying Brock Ralph 6 figures hoping he'll be good because he's tall and fast.

Fair enough but Ralph had far bigger issues than just drops and was hardly a raw prospect when he was acquired. 

2 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I don’t think Walters has drafted poorly but I think he gets a reputation for being a great drafter that isn’t completely earned. Gray and Peterman are the only two guys left from the 17 and 18 drafts on this team. 

but who has drafted better? 

Just now, AKAChip said:

Maybe but I also feel like other teams don't do any better so it's all kind of relative.

I would like to see the stats on how many players from each draft year are still in the league. 

7 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

Fair enough but Ralph had far bigger issues than just drops and was hardly a raw prospect when he was acquired. 

The problem with the lens a lot of people are looking at these cuts with, and will look at cuts in football generally, is that decisions are made to build the best team today.  The contracts aren't long enough to work otherwise, and there's really not a lot of practice reps to go around to develop players, practice is for game prep unless you're a non-competitive team.  If a guy isn't good enough to play he can't develop in the pros, plain and simple.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Walters gets props for his first 2 drafts, but he's been more miss than hit since then. Waggoner and Faith were #2 and #1 overall busts. Simonise was our top pick in 2018.

Welcome to the CFL Draft.

Who's Randy Colling?

In the end what matters is who is on the roster, not how they got there.

28 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Not surprised about Simonise, but disappointed. I thought he would have a breakout season this year, but he just did not take that next step forward to prove he was a legit starter. I owe O'Shea an apology. I did not think Bennett would get cut but if a rookie QB comes into camp and is as good a s a vet who is probably earning more, the writing is on the wall.

He still might have a breakout year. Only it will be with another team.