Matt Nichols -BOO!!!!!!!

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Should, but this is Winnipeg, the mob has turned on Nichols there is no hope for him now. 

"The Mob" is starting to see it for what it is... poor play, that dates back to the second half of last season.  I called for him to be pulled against BC October 14th last year when he was ineffective. This was a week after a 158 yd passing performance in Hamilton.   Book is out on him, and I don't think it's necessarily anything physically wrong with him right now like some are suggesting... he's always had a chip on his shoulder about not getting respect.  He's proving now that he's never fully earned it (to be considered among the elite).  At this point, he's setting up to be a stable backup, but never a guy who's going to come in off the bench and roar you back from behind with a bunch of points.

6 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

"The Mob" is starting to see it for what it is... poor play, that dates back to the second half of last season.  I called for him to be pulled against BC October 14th last year when he was ineffective. This was a week after a 158 yd passing performance in Hamilton.   Book is out on him, and I don't think it's necessarily anything physically wrong with him right now like some are suggesting... he's always had a chip on his shoulder about not getting respect.  He's proving now that he's never fully earned it (to be considered among the elite).  At this point, he's setting up to be a stable backup, but never a guy who's going to come in off the bench and roar you back from behind with a bunch of points.

He's always had a chip on his shoulder about not getting respect? What a joke! There was one instance game before this and that's it!

9 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

All he has ever been, and all he ever will be, is a game manager, who works best in an offence that doesn't throw anything over 10 yards.

Problem is that unless you have an outstanding defense like the Bombers did in the 80's or in 1990, you can't win in the modern CFL with just a running game and 3-yard curls.

Walters, OShea, and Lapo, are to blame for not recognizing this and making plans to compensate or working to put different talent on the field to be competitive.

Edited by TheSource

11 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

He's always had a chip on his shoulder about not getting respect? What a joke! There was one instance game before this and that's it!

TSN actually did a piece on this early last year.... talking about shedding the 'game manager' title (I couldn't find it in a quick search on TSN's site... but this evening I'll check my PVR and see if I can find it) , and he went on to talk about how he didn't like being coined a game manager.... blah blah blah... the whole thing was blowing smoke.  To his credit, he played well for another month or so after that piece, but then began to regress.  He was good when he got here, for the first part of last season, but since, has been less than adequate.  It was masked by a winning record however.

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎26 at 2:51 PM, Gotmilt said:

As long as we limit the explosion plays we’re fine. I’d say we’re doing a fantastic job of that.

if we can’t get Claybrooks I vote this man becomes our next head coach, no excuses.

That was an absolutely awe inspiring half time speech. Truly motivating.  Just look at the players soaking in those words of wisdom from Coach. See how ready they are to bust out on the field in the second half. They look like they'll run through the door for him. Only if someone opens it for them first.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

While I have always thought Nichols was not our saviour I can't really put all the blame on him without knowing what plays are called etc. I can say however that he cannot throw a long ball with any consistency; will not take responsibility for the O performance; and seems to be too quick to check down to his outlet receiver. Now with that said I think Lapo is as much if not more responsible for the dismal performance of the o line. He has abandoned the 2 back set; he has brought in personal that in my humble opinion are not as good as some that are sitting and he has reverted back to the same old same old OC he was last year and previous years in which he got fired. To start the season there was a not of motion; he used two back, not necessarily the two I would have chosen but they were there; he was using Demski as he should be used but all that has gone out the window in the last two games. Too reliant on Harris makes this team one dimensional. So the blame goes to both. Yes some receivers dropped passes.....so did Calgary but they were far more imaginative than we were. And we are speaking only of offense here not defense. 

My only hope is that we split with Sask but my gut says we will lose both. 

You don't have to have a cannon for an arm to be successful in the CFL- examples abound. You don't even have to be mobile, but you do have to be smart, be able to read defences quickly and command the respect of your teammates. I think that Nichols should start against Sask but he has to understand that his leash is short- a quarter perhaps two and if he is not producing, the hook has to come out.

1 hour ago, trueBlue83 said:

TSN actually did a piece on this early last year.... talking about shedding the 'game manager' title (I couldn't find it in a quick search on TSN's site... but this evening I'll check my PVR and see if I can find it) , and he went on to talk about how he didn't like being coined a game manager.... blah blah blah... the whole thing was blowing smoke.  To his credit, he played well for another month or so after that piece, but then began to regress.  He was good when he got here, for the first part of last season, but since, has been less than adequate.  It was masked by a winning record however.

That's not the same as having a chip on his shoulder for not getting respect...not even close.

I really can't help but have this nagging feeling he's playing injured, even if assertions are being made to the contrary.  Don't feel like QBs just lose their accuracy without being hampered by something.

Has he gone the Willy way?  Sure, it's possible, but from what?  I don't feel he's taken any more hits or sacks than Willy did, in fact probably way less so.  He's struggled to get in a rhythm when Lapolice isn't using his up tempo offense.

Somehow when this is all said and done I got a feeling some kind of injury will be revealed.

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

I really can't help but have this nagging feeling he's playing injured, even if assertions are being made to the contrary.  Don't feel like QBs just lose their accuracy without being hampered by something.

Has he gone the Willy way?  Sure, it's possible, but from what?  I don't feel he's taken any more hits or sacks than Willy did, in fact probably way less so.  He's struggled to get in a rhythm when Lapolice isn't using his up tempo offense.

Somehow when this is all said and done I got a feeling some kind of injury will be revealed.

Well we know he has a knee injury.

I think it's also worth noting how teams have been defending the Bombers and blanketing Harris.  Nichols stats have always been helped by basically a historic level of play by Harris as a receiver.  A 2 yard throw becomes a 12 yard pass on Nichols stat line.  His numbers downfield have always been dreadful.  They are just a touch more dreadful this year.  Contain Harris, beat the Bombers.  Has been the way since 2016.  If Lapolice can't figure out how to make teams defend the whole field or at least more of it (I don't think the deep ball will be a consistent threat with this group of players) this offense is sunk.

It almost sounded at the start of the coaches show like O'Shea was open to the idea of giving Streveler some time.... but as the show went on, and he continued to defend Matt's play, it's  clear he has no interest.   What's funny is, he said twice that Matt threw for 325 yds last game.  So he's so oblivious he doesn't actually know what his QBs (inflated due to garbage time) numbers were.   Wow!

On 2018-08-26 at 4:18 PM, Bubba Zanetti said:

In a game that we were leading going into the second half and was close until the 4th quarter. Asinine. You'd think they would have wanted 20+ out of Harris the way Nichols was playing.

If we know hes gonna get stuffed.. and Calgary knows we are gonna run heavy.... is that really the wisest course of action?? 3rd run in and it began.. 2 yard carry.. 1 yard carry...

6 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Doesn't this also mean our receivers can't get open? People can say things without actually saying them.

No.. you can infer what he says to your own means but when he comes out and says "the defense played well.. guys were covered.." and then repeats himself the next day to make sure people understand he wasnt attacking his receivers..

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well we know he has a knee injury.

I think it's also worth noting how teams have been defending the Bombers and blanketing Harris.  Nichols stats have always been helped by basically a historic level of play by Harris as a receiver.  A 2 yard throw becomes a 12 yard pass on Nichols stat line.  His numbers downfield have always been dreadful.  They are just a touch more dreadful this year.  Contain Harris, beat the Bombers.  Has been the way since 2016.  If Lapolice can't figure out how to make teams defend the whole field or at least more of it (I don't think the deep ball will be a consistent threat with this group of players) this offense is sunk.

That's why I was ranting about play action in the other thread because I say defenses are honing onto Harris, and if they think he has the ball, they'll come up and open up the downfield.  Plus if they start backing out again, you can use the draw play.

Also, I will say this is why MOS deserves a little flack for not playing Streveler.  It's not about which one is better, it's about making sure Nichols is at a full 100℅.  Anything, and I mean anything short of that and he should be kept on the sidelines until he hits 100℅.  Streveler was good enough to be kept playing but wasn't.

Edited by USABomberfan

2 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

That's why I was ranting about play action in the other thread because I say defenses are honing onto Harris, and if they think he has the ball, they'll come up and open up the downfield.  Plus if they start backing out again, you can use the draw play.

Ya that helps.  Also helps if they have to at least respect the fact that the QB might take off when they vacate an entire half of the field when our receivers run verticals.  The opposition LB's only have to defend Nichols eyes, not his legs.

4 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

Maybe it's the film room stuff.  Matt gets to see what Chris has done in the game when they are going over film right ?  Maybe that is hampering him. 

2 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

It almost sounded at the start of the coaches show like O'Shea was open to the idea of giving Streveler some time.... but as the show went on, and he continued to defend Matt's play, it's  clear he has no interest.   What's funny is, he said twice that Matt threw for 325 yds last game.  So he's so oblivious he doesn't actually know what his QBs (inflated due to garbage time) numbers were.   Wow!

He has no interest or knowledge of much of anything on the offensive side of the ball. Didn't you hear his comment when he was mic'd up during the Stamps game? "Defence is No. 1 always!" That is his passion and interest and expertise.

Edited by Doublezero

6 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

He has no interest or knowledge of much of anything on the offensive side of he ball. Didn't you hear his comment when he was mic'd up during the Stamps game? "Defence is No. 1 always!" That is his passion and interest and expertise.

Then the dynamic of the room needs to change, and LaPo should be given the reigns on offensive personnel, and especially in game changes.  We know Mike won't make one, and when it's stale, something's gotta happen!