Matt Nichols -BOO!!!!!!!

39 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Jest the facts...

Well, the fact is that they are not even close to having the kind of talent on the team to make plays like that, and you have to look no further than Walters and the scouting staff to discover why that is after they have had 5 years to get it right.

If you mean the pick 6, even you could’ve made that play

40 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Jest the facts...

Well, the fact is that they are not even close to having the kind of talent on the team to make plays like that, and you have to look no further than Walters and the scouting staff to discover why that is after they have had 5 years to get it right.

The elephant in the room nobody is talking about.

They should kept Mack's scouting pipeline in the US, the one they have now is a disaster. 

9 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

We were an exciting offense till about 3 weeks ago. Lately, though, we've just been offensive!

This is a very good point that has not been mentioned yet.

Even before their slow trip into the tank the last 3 games, the Bomber O with its total reliance on 3 yard passes and  5 yard runs is pretty boring to watch.

Boring as it is, it used to be effective until teams figured out that Nichols can't throw anything accurate over 10 yards and Lapo does not even bother to send anyone other than Lankford or Adams more than 10 yards downfield. Teams really don't need to cover those 2 guys much because Adams is easily handled in man to man and can't get open most times, and Lankford is just not a good receiver. Every team playing the Bombers is now keeping everyone up to the line of scrimmage and just shutting down the dink n dunk.

3 minutes ago, TheSource said:

This is a very good point that has not been mentioned yet.

Even before their slow trip into the tank the last 3 games, the Bomber O with its total reliance on 3 yard passes and  5 yard runs is pretty boring to watch.

Boring as it is, it used to be effective until teams figured out that Nichols can't throw anything accurate over 10 yards and Lapo does not even bother to send anyone other than Lankford or Adams more than 10 yards downfield. Teams really don't need to cover those 2 guys much because Adams is easily handled in man to man and can't get open most times, and Lankford is just not a good receiver. Every team playing the Bombers is now keeping everyone up to the line of scrimmage and just shutting down the dink n dunk.

Adams is open deep every game. If Nichols could hit him a couple of times, it would completely change the game. He’s open and the pass falls incomplete. Jorden is covered but scores a TD. 

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Hey Joe, you’re fired, but leave the database in your office. 

Well yes its funny and I deserve some of the comments I get here, but there is a great truth in what you say.

I really believe Bombers would be better off right now if they had a personnel guy like Murphy.

What they have for scouting is sub-standard for the CFL and I think it is the biggest reason why they are where they are this year after having 5 years to make things better.

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It sure doesn’t work that way in my profession. 

I'm talking about his US scout, just can't remember the guys name. Or how Murphy, did they have let him go too with Kelly. Guys is just one of the best player personnel people in the league. Those are bad decisions made by the current GM whether you wan't to admit it or not.  

1 minute ago, pigseye said:

I'm talking about his US scout, just can't remember the guys name. Or how Murphy, did they have let him go too with Kelly. Guys is just one of the best player personnel people in the league. Those are bad decisions made by the current GM whether you wan't to admit it or not.  

Oh, I think it would have been fantastic, I just don’t think you get to have your cake & eat it too when you fire someone. 

4 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Well yes its funny and I deserve some of the comments I get here, but there is a great truth in what you say.

I really believe Bombers would be better off right now if they had a personnel guy like Murphy.

What they have for scouting is sub-standard for the CFL and I think it is the biggest reason why they are where they are this year after having 5 years to make things better.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that. 

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Adams is open deep every game. If Nichols could hit him a couple of times, it would completely change the game. He’s open and the pass falls incomplete. Jorden is covered but scores a TD. 

Open once or twice, yes, you are right. But what you don't see is that he is covered in man with a single DB on every play and he is the only guy Lapo sends deep on almost every play.

If he is locked up in single coverage man around 25 times a game and only gets open 2 or even 3 times, then he's not something an opposing defense has to worry about, particularly when Nichols can't hit the broad side of a barn on any pass over 10 yards.

I think this is what is happening.

Edited by TheSource

2 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Open once or twice, yes, you are right. But what you don't see is that he is covered in man with a single DB on every play and he is the only guy Lapo sends deep on almost every play.

If he is locked up in single coverage man around 25 times a game and only get open 3 or even 3 times, then he's not something an opposing defense has to worry about, particularly when Nichols can't hit the broad side of a barn on any pass over 10 yards.

I think this is what is happening.

There was safety help on the incomplete deep shot and double coverage on most others - but really, the only plays we could are the ones he was thrown to, so you could be right. 

Just now, Mark H. said:

There was safety help on the incomplete deep shot and double coverage on most others - but really, the only plays we could are the ones he was thrown to, so you could be right. 

Adams is not a bad player - I like him and would keep him if cleaning house in the Bombers, but he is not Milt Stegall or James Murphy, and is not enough in the seemingly exclusive role as a game breaker.

It really bothers me that this team does not have a vertical passing game.

They complete very few passes per game in the 10 to 20 yards range downfield. Compare that to Calgary who almost single-handedly beat Bombers with passes in the 10 to 20 yard range as opposed to dink n dunk. I don't think the dink n dunk is the best way to win in the CFL - although maybe the NFL. In the CFL you have to be able to consistently complete 10 to 20 yard passes downfield each game.

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

When the O consistently does nothing... What do you expect from the D? They held us in it yesterday through 3 quarters.. Our O did **** all to help. 

Both sides of the ball have under performed against the better teams. But Richie Hall's defense have been under performers for a number of years. Every so often the offense will show up but a Richie Hall defense never shows up IMHO. And before you respond with the Calgary first half I think the Stamps were just sleep walking through the first half until they woke up at half time. Calgary made adjustments at the half. The Bomber offense and defense never makes any adjustments at half time.

Bottom line IMHO - Richie Hall needs to be shown the door at the end of the year - and if this does not happen maybe MOS has overstayed his welcome in the Peg.

11 hours ago, trueBlue83 said:

I've been watching Nichols closely the last several games, obviously, as I feel I've been as critical of his play as anyone.  But I really noticed today that I don't think Nichols ever calls an audible.  He scans the field, but never does he not like what he sees and change a play.  This totally leads me to believe he can't properly read a defence anymore.  He's just lost out there, and I've seen enough.

as far as LaPo goes... I'm looking forward to seeing what he can cook up with Streveler behind centre.  You're going to see receivers not giving up on plays, and a more stretched out passing game, not having to curl back or wait for the dump pass.    

As for the D... one more brutal pummelling of the secondary, and it's also time to give Hall the boot.  The bye week after Banjo Bowl couldn't be timed better.   Could be some big changes coming.... hopefully!   This season isn't lost, but stand pat Bomber brass, and it will be, and the stadium will look as empty as ever.

hard to believe some people called the Bombers 'the most exciting offence in the league' 3 weeks ago.  

I find this surprising too. I cant imagine that Lapo and MOS have put that much of a leash on him that he cant even call an audible. I dont know how many times ive seen 7 or 8 defensive players start creeping towards the line of scrimmage for a blitz and im screaming to call an audible for a quick strike over the middle or in the flat. When that many guys are blitzing there HAS to be a one or two guys open. Yet every time its like he's clueless and more often than not that he just turtles and takes a sack, just like last game.

just watched the "highlights" lol,  on youtube.

debating which side of the ball lost the game is like choosing between dog poo and cat poo for lunch.

Nichols brohmed one pass. threw 2 int directly to guys on the other team. On the one the lineman picked off, there were two other receivers that look open. That he seems to look towards, and then go to Harris. 

The pass to Adams was clearly underthrown, Adams had two guys beat, had to slow down, they both caught up to him, and both defenders swatted the ball is it came to him. Not likely anybody could make  that catch. blaming him for that is really bad if Nichols did so. Going to have some apologizing to do.

Not the biggest fan of Bo Levi, but when he has players open, usually he can hit them.

sad to say, it looks like the pass defence is once again a complete shambles. four guys covering one receiver, three guys surrounding a receiver with the ball, yet all three unable to tackle him (shades of defences past),

defenders running away from a receiver, leaving him uncovered, defenders in trail position. 

Assuming these coaches know what they're doing, their not explaining it very well to their players. 

We've had dozens of pass defenders through here. same result every season.

I suspect that the guys that we have that have been really good, best days are behind them, wasted on bullshit defensive teams.

just an ugly mess. I'm surprised Calgary didn't score more points. Cause there was basically nothing stopping them.

Two beat downs in a row. 

Right now, this team is awful. 

At least with Streveler, there is a chance he'll run, and they have to respect that. As it is, the Wpg offence is actually probably pretty easy to draw a D game plan for.

Not putting in Streveler is mystifying.

Edited by Mark F

1 minute ago, Gotmilt said:

I'd love to hear whats going on in the Bombers meeting rooms. They probably honestly believe they're only one or two plays away from being good..... "Just gotta watch the tape and correct the mistakes"

"clean up a few things. Just one or two plays made the difference"