Week 2 @ Montreal: Streveler Round 2 And Willy On A Short Rope

Willley wasn't that bad against BC...on the other hand he was not that good either.

His confidence has definitely gone up but he has the same blind spot he has always had since being shell-shocked in Winnipeg, many years ago...

He cannot see the intermediate routes - - the 15 to 25 yard passes. Go back and look at the game he played on the weekend: he throws the occasional long bomb, sometimes accurately sometimes not,  but his bread-and-butter are the dink and dunk hitches and flat passes for 3 to 5 yards or less, which the receiver then runs for whatever he can get after that. You will see almost no 10 to 20 yard passes into the teeth of coverage. So our DBs should be able to creep up and shot Willey down.

If you want further proof of his incapability just go back and think about the last drive. He threw everything underneath coverage for less than 10 yards eating up the clock and undermining any chance of a 2 score come back.. I am expecting we will have a field day with him although it would not surprise me if he's able to huck a long one behind our secondary when we are half-asleep.

It looks like Montréal has a decent defence but if there is plenty of 2 and outs they will wear down. Look for us to take over big time in the 4th quarter if we have not already assumed command in the early part of the game.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/18/mitchell-gale-june-18/

Mitchell Gale Interview

Gale played five seasons in the CFL, throwing for 1,050 yards and four touchdowns on 158 passing attempts. Gale spent his four-year college career with the Abilene Christian Wildcats, throwing for 97 touchdowns and over 12,000 passing yards. Gale has spent time with the Toronto Argonauts, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Calgary Stampeders and BC Lions.

Edited by BigBlue

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/18/mitchell-gale-june-18/

Mitchell Gale Interview

Gale played five seasons in the CFL, throwing for 1,050 yards and four touchdowns on 158 passing attempts. Gale spent his four-year college career with the Abilene Christian Wildcats, throwing for 97 touchdowns and over 12,000 passing yards. Gale has spent time with the Toronto Argonauts, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Calgary Stampeders and BC Lions.

jeepers mini kevin glenn in a faction of the time. 

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Mitchell Gale qb.... looks decent in this game. 

His wrs made a TON of plays for him in those clips. See dbs gambling on risky passes etc. Didnt have a chance on the first sack (ole!) but the next he should have felt the pressure.

All in all it is what it is. He is our 3rd string qb. Some one who was out of football. I bet vernon adams salary is why we arent after him. Ill take gale, and ill take him over douchrant, fever, and the rest of the cast off FA qbs pretty much. (i do like cato but he's probably ruined from montreal) 

Edited by wbbfan

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

jeepers mini kevin glenn in a faction of hte time. 

His wrs made a TON of plays for him in those clips. See dbs gambling on risky passes etc. Didnt have a chance on the first sack (ole!) but the next he should have felt the pressure. 

That wide-side out around 0:20, was that a great throw or a great catch by Collins?  Looks like Gale just tucked it in there perfectly past the DB, but it's tough to tell from the angle.

Edited by johnzo

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

That wide-side out around 0:20, was that a great throw or a great catch by Collins?  Looks like Gale just tucked it in there perfectly past the DB, but it's tough to tell from the angle.

Great catch, you can see him reach back and pull it away from the db. That pass went to behind his left shoulder, on the DBs side. It should have gone over him to the right shoulder. If thrown perfectly, he could have caught it and turned right up field. He makes a great play. 

Gale gets the ball in the catch radius range of the WR fairly well. But his ball location with in the catch radius is all over the place. Qbs soo accurate with great touch who can throw a rope over a wr like that and down into his hands so it leads him up field with out breaking stride are rare. (that is truly great accuracy, joe montana stuff.) Nichols would have lofted it up and over and led him to the side line. Pretty safe from a turn over. Gale slings it. Kinda danny mac like. 

if you slow the video speed down to .50 its much easier to tell. 

13 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

P.R. bound.

WPG DEL  NAT Johnny AUGUSTINE (RB)    Guelph

WPG DEL  INT Ryan LANKFORD (WR)    Illinois

https://www.cfl.ca/transactions/

Also Ti-Cats released Demond Washington to make room for Breaux.

I assume agustine means that one of the Rbs will be back and healthy. Maybe lankford means its both or flanders. I wonder who will be added to the roster in the second slot. Will fogg do all the return duties? Ohh questions. 

Id rather have quincy mcduffie back then washington. 

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I assume agustine means that one of the Rbs will be back and healthy. Maybe lankford means its both or flanders. I wonder who will be added to the roster in the second slot. Will fogg do all the return duties? Ohh questions. 

Pretty sure LaFrance is coming back.  As for Lankford's replacement on the roster, no idea, no great need for Thompkins right now Simonise and Petermann can backup any of the receivers in game.  Maybe they're making room for Leggett or Wild, more moves to come. 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Pretty sure LaFrance is coming back.  As for Lankford's replacement on the roster, no idea, no great need for Thompkins right now Simonise and Petermann can backup any of the receivers.  Maybe they're making room for Leggett or Wild. 

That would be great, though I worry about rust. Didnt lafrance miss basically all of camp? Cant make the club from the tub (unless you are a QB or a NI)

Idk Thompkins isnt just another replacement WR. He isnt, l'damian washington. This guy can make plays as a wr at the highest level. Maybe he pans out maybe he doesnt. But bowman was targeted twice and didnt get any catches. If Flanders isnt back and lankford is out who we work into the offense, and lafrance isnt a known commodity yet maybe it is thompkins. 

Mo coming back would be the best case scenario imo. Itd be nice to carry the extra DB (though jones did play pretty well when he rotated in) But if mo isnt ready, it could be one of the rookie dbs too. priester, cooper, or sayles. Those are teams guys too. 

My money would be on thompkins or more likely another db like cooper. Some one to rotate in more often to give fogg rest who does double return duties. 

I think Wild when ready will come in for wilson. he looked great in camp and good in pre season, but JSK with bighill was the best one two wil mac combo weve had in aaaaggeeessss. Jsk was flying around and made soo many plays. I dont see wilson rotating a lot, and wild is a big time leader and teams guy. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Zero interest in McDuffie.  Slightly better than Lankford as a kickoff returner but can't handle punts and even more limited as a receiver than Lankford.

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Zero interest in McDuffie.  Slightly better than Lankford as a kickoff returner but can't handle punts and even more limited as a receiver than Lankford.

He can handle punts fine. Better at both then lankford and showed far more promise of actually developing into a valuable wr. Mcduffies average punt return is better then the average of lankfords best punt returns. 😆

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He can handle punts fine. Better at both then lankford and showed far more promise of actually developing into a valuable wr. Mcduffies average punt return is better then the average of lankfords best punt returns. 😆

McDuffie fumbled damn near one punt a game in his last stint here.  Also let the ball hit turf all the time and lost us a ton of field position from potential 15 no yard calls.  Hate him as a punt returner.  O'Shea does too, that's how Fogg ended up being the guy.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

McDuffie fumbled damn near one punt a game in his last stint here.  Also let the ball hit turf all the time and lost us a ton of field position from potential 15 no yard calls.  Hate him as a punt returner.

I am holding out hope that the powers that be are just trying to shake things up and give some fresh meat a chance returning kicks.