Help us Chris Streveler, You're our Only Hope

Atomic

Chris Streveler is a former NCAA QB who came straight to the CFL.  10/10 in his first preseason game.  OK.  What else?

Streveler attended Marian Central Catholic High School in Woodstock, Ill. and he led them to an 11-1 record and conference championships as both a junior and a senior. He was named conference Player of the Year in 2011 and 2012 and was a first-team all-state selection in 2012 and was recognized as Academic All-State in 2011 and 2012 and named team MVP.

High school highlights:

After high school, Streveler signed with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers program.  The Gophers play at the highest level of college football, Division I FBS, in the Big Ten conference.  He was a backup in his freshman year and went 4/11 with 1 TD and 1 INT.  In 2015 the team moved him to wide receiver.  Following 2015, he transferred to the University of South Dakota to get some playing time at QB.

The University of South Dakota Coyotes play in Division I FCS, the second highest level of college football, between Division I FBS and Division II.  Stefan Logan played there too... a long time ago.

In 10 games in 2016, he went 164/273 (60.1%) for 1947 yards, with 22 TDs and 9 INT.  He also ran 161 times for 823 yards and 9 touchdowns.  The team went 4-7 and missed the playoffs.

In 13 games in 2017, he went 316/481 (65.7%) for 4134 yards, with 32 TDs and 8 INT.  He also ran 168 times for 720 yards and 11 touchdowns.  Streveler was also the runner up for the Walter Payton award... awarded to the top player in Division I FCS.

The team went 8-5 and lost in the second round of the playoffs to Sam Houston State... Timothy Flanders' alma mater.  Streveler had perhaps the greatest game of his college career against Sam Houston State, going 33/54 for 520 yards and five touchdowns with two interceptions, to go along with 51 yards rushing with one touchdown in a losing effort.  

And now he is here, starting game one of the CFL season.  All eyes on Winnipeg, June 14.

Help us Chris Streveler.

You're our only hope.

More Chris Streveler college highlights:

2017 vs. Indiana State, 4 passing TD, 1 rushing TD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzNqvotZ05U

2017 @ Bowling Green, 1 passing TD, 119 yards rushing with 3 TD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuDPyK69r4M

Condensed 2017 playoff game against Nicholls, Streveler plays only: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvE9QbAK2I

Some coaches and talking heads raving about Chris Streveler: https://youtu.be/OxGEc9cdJkQ?t=2m19s

Streveler spring football feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Ygl9mqTRI

Streveler shows us how to throw a football (class project?  Kinda funny) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po1AzA63MwM

Let's hope he is not overwhelmed. Edmonton starting D at times will come after him, and at other times will stack the box and make him throw. (Yeah, I know Captain Obvious). 

Just manage the game. A reasonable game would be no more than 1 pick with a few good drives. Let Bowman, Dressler, Harris catch short ones and make plays.

Can we stay close with Edmonton in this one? It might take a minor miracle.

As I see it, the Esks' O-line is very good as is the Bomber D-line, so that will be a saw-off, but Streveler ought to have success against the Esks' linebackers and d-backs with a mix of hot routes and the occasional sprint. Still, it will be trial by fire for Streveler and if the Bombers can keep it close, that would be good enough for the moment.

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

They will most certainly be bringing the heat. If Streveler can make quick accurate reads/throws we’ll be alright. We have the weapons around him. 

Indeed. We have the right weapons, he has the over all athleticism and quick release to pull it off too. If we chip block well on an end like petermann did against bc, we can give him a side to roll to as well.

Just now, johnzo said:

That's the standard thing for a DC to do to a rookie QB, isn't it?  Blitz until the rook makes you pay for it?

pretty much. Though I would say the newer standard is to mix all out blitzes, show and drops, and zone blitz schemes to rattle and confuse them. With out the vet dbs in place, a lot of complicated zone blitz schemes arent soo likely. 

Just now, Captain Blue said:

I went back and re-watched his preseason game again. I'm pretty excited, though he is going to have a bunch of mistakes for sure. His running ability against BC was probably overlooked. I think you can craft an offense for him.

We saw a bit of that option and qb run stuff late last year. I think we will see a good dose of it till nichols is back. He did it pretty well in college too. 

A big difference maker is going to be his strength. Like bennett he isnt just a fast guy. He is strong enough to fight off arm tackles, sams and other dbs. 

i'm not expecting huge things from him, but i'm hoping he shows well and is capable enough to make it close or to pull off a win.

His college stats look good, but this is the CFL.  It appears he has all the tools to play in the CFL, Big, strong and mobile, but there is alot for him to adjust to, and most QBs coming up here can't make anything of it after several years. 

SPY versus SPY: League Opener

The Bomber brain trust is putting together a very specific strategy to outsmart Edmonton's tacticians who no doubt will try to create as much havoc and confusion as possible for Bomber rookie Quarterback Chris Streveler. We will see an abnormal number of blitzes, camouflaged or not. They will disguise their formations and schemes trying to throw off Streveler's reads. LaPolice and Pierce will be over preparing to counter such tactics. And they will have a backup plan in case they have to switch to Ross or Bennett. 

The Bombers collective coaching staff picked Streveler for 4 reasons outlined on Bob Irving's Coaches Show Monday night. Michael O'Shea said

1] he had the highest combined completion percentage of the 3 backups in camp.

2] he was the best at making the right reads of the defence

3] he is also very good at protecting the football and

4] at not making critical errors.

Those were the 4 factors along with his athleticism that swung the starting role into Streveler's selection as Thursday night's starter. 

So get ready for plans and counter plans. The entire team is still burning from the playoff loss last November to this Edmonton Eskimo football club. You want to see confidence mixed with desire?

The Bombers are fielding a team of savvy  veterans who will have their own bag of tricks; but more than that, they are dripping with talent and with it they more than anything just want to protect the baby on the team: their starting quarterback ... They will be doing some devising of their own... heh heh

Edited by BigBlue

7 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

In watching the game here last Friday I would said Ross would be starting.  What am I missing? 

The fact Ross cant run. The fact he put up no TDs.. The fact that Streveler has higher upside. All of training camp also. MOS on the coaches show said why Strev is starting. Its not based on 1 game. Its based on all of camp. 

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The fact Ross cant run. The fact he put up no TDs.. The fact that Streveler has higher upside. All of training camp also. MOS on the coaches show said why Strev is starting. Its not based on 1 game. Its based on all of camp. 

Fair enough.  Thx!

30 minutes ago, lyin' guy said:

In watching the game here last Friday I would said Ross would be starting.  What am I missing? 

probably the rest of training camp and first preseason game. Streveler was way better in game 1 than Ross, who was pretty terrible. But let's be honest, they talked all camp like Ross had the edge and after the 2nd game everyone around here figured they'd go to Ross as well, but they didn't probably for several reasons that we as fans can't see. I don't think there was any huge gap between them overall, they just obviously like something about Streveler better. I suspect it's the ability to run as well as the intangibles. Dressler specifically has mentioned how impressed he was by Strevelers presence in the huddle, or something like that. 

And there's also this:

Offensive Coordinator @PaulLaPolice started following him in the fall of last year, he was placed on our neg two days before last November’s Grey Cup, and now he makes his first pro start Thursday night. Take a look at @cstrevy

IIRC, LaPo wanted to put Nicholls in two weeks before Oshea finally gave up on Willy. I think I trust LaPo's judgement here.