Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

1 hour ago, ALuCsRED said:

I like this as it will close off the "Henoc Muamba" post-NFL-and-now-free-agent tours.  Guys will still owe a year to the team that they left, if they want to return to the CFL.

I like it too.  It will help bring talented players to the league that don't want to have to stay for two years

On 2018-07-21 at 8:35 AM, ALuCsRED said:

I like this as it will close off the "Henoc Muamba" post-NFL-and-now-free-agent tours.  Guys will still owe a year to the team that they left, if they want to return to the CFL.

Is that how it works?... I do like that

On 2018-07-19 at 10:00 AM, Ripper said:

My point on that was it could have been happening when he was with your team, we don't know what people are doing when they are not at work.  Once its out in the open its a different situation.  I get it that players have had issues in their personal life.  No one is perfect and I am far from it myself. Judge not, yeast thee be judged.   Sexual assault and domestic violence are two things I just can't get past however.  Ottawa is doing the right thing here.  I am all for second chances in life, sometimes we all need one.  When you have a very public job like playing professional football however, you have to be held to a higher standard I think.  Its probably not fair but when children at idolizing these players, I think they have some responsibility to not be rapists and wife beaters. I am not defending some of the players that have been signed to my team.  Every situation is different and they need to be looked at on a individual basis.

I know you're a Rider fan, but sometimes even you guys are right by mistake. No place for this in the league, and I think the CFL should be commended for their strict policies with respect to domestic violence, there  are other much bigger leagues that would easily look the other way.

19 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

Start ups have come and gone .. but this one seems to have legs and isn't going away .. TV contract with CBS?

http://3downnation.com/2018/07/24/players-already-opting-new-american-league-cfl/

I agree that the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAF might be the first "alternate football league" to pose a legitimate threat to CFL... in regards to attracting players... hopefully not, but we shall see...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

That would be the stupidest and funniest thing all wrapped into one. Carter cannot tackle whatsoever, and would get eaten alive...I so hope they do that.

Are they so weak with depth and talent where that is ony option for them?...pathetic

I hope this circus lasts until Labour Day and he gets absolutely trucked by Harris.

Edited by Eternal optimist

Looks like the Ti-Cats lost out on Chapman, at least for this year.  Haggling months over $10,000 turns out to be a costly mistake for them.

Top CFL pick Chapman joining Broncos

Wide receiver Mark Chapman, who was taken with the first overall pick in the 2018 CFL Draft by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, has agreed to a deal with the NFL's Denver Broncos, according to TSN Football Insider Dave Naylor.

Ahead of signing with the Broncos, Naylor reported that Chapman recently indicated to the Tiger-Cats that he wanted to play in the CFL. The two parties had been unable to reach an agreement following May's draft. In hopes of aiding the negotiation process, Chapman travelled to Hamilton in June to watch the Tiger-Cats play in person.

The Broncos will be the second NFL team that Chapman has spent time with. He attended rookie mini-camp with the New York Giants in May. 

During his collegiate career with Central Michigan, Chapman recorded 2040 yards and 10 touchdowns on 147 career receptions.

https://www.tsn.ca/top-cfl-pick-chapman-joining-broncos-1.1148053

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

On 2018-07-24 at 8:36 AM, bearpants said:

Is that how it works?... I do like that

Only for as long as their CFL contract is in effect.

Example, player signs during NFL window after CFL 2018 season, has CFL contract for 2019.  If that player was released during the 2019 CFL season his rights remain with his CFL team.  In the past there was a 10 day window for the player to sign another NFL deal before he had to report back to the CFL team.  If that player were released by the NFL team in 2020, he'd be a CFL free agent as his CFL contract expired following the 2019 CFL season.

truthfully that organization should be selling out every game every year...no reason not to as it is the only professional thing in the province and really the only thing in the province/city of Regina/Saskatoon that takes any type of entertainment dollar away from anything else.

To yammer on about how great they are to have 30k at their toilet bowl and rag on the Bombers for having 27k at a game and not factor in on some days there are 15k+ at a Jets game and between 5-7k at a Goldeyes game amoung other things going on in a bigger city is at times funny..

When you think about it the total number of season ticket holders for all 4 professional sports teams in the City (Goldeyes/Jets/Bombers/Moose) and soon to be Soccer far outnumbers fan support and contribution that the Riders claim. There is only so many entertainment dollars to go around in any city and when you add it all up there are probably close to what...40k-45k season ticket holders in the city on any year, not to mention casual walk-up crowd fans

39 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

FIFY. Most of them expect to win.

So what.  

Going to see a team that has been struggling, and selling out their stadium. How can you not like that?

I don't understand why it bothers people that they like their team. So what If some are a little over the top, even delusional.

It's a game, not a war.

We slam Toronto for no fan support, and we slam Sask for  fan support... of the wrong kind.

and Booch I didn't say Wpg and Manitoba had bad fans. We have good fans.

But at the Western semi final last season.... stadium was nowhere near full.

Edited by Mark F

17 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Jones you've done it again!

Want to see Calgary drop 60 points on the riders just for funsies. Also expect the Stamps points against per game to drop as unbelievable as that is.

Don't hold your breath

2 hours ago, Booch said:

truthfully that organization should be selling out every game every year...no reason not to as it is the only professional thing in the province and really the only thing in the province/city of Regina/Saskatoon that takes any type of entertainment dollar away from anything else.

To yammer on about how great they are to have 30k at their toilet bowl and rag on the Bombers for having 27k at a game and not factor in on some days there are 15k+ at a Jets game and between 5-7k at a Goldeyes game amoung other things going on in a bigger city is at times funny..

When you think about it the total number of season ticket holders for all 4 professional sports teams in the City (Goldeyes/Jets/Bombers/Moose) and soon to be Soccer far outnumbers fan support and contribution that the Riders claim. There is only so many entertainment dollars to go around in any city and when you add it all up there are probably close to what...40k-45k season ticket holders in the city on any year, not to mention casual walk-up crowd fans

Don't use the Jets as a excuse.  They were gone for a long time and attendance wasn't any higher. The Moose weren't always there either.  Winnipeg is more a big city than Regina.  Big city people usually don't pay for something they may not use. CFL season tickets are very affordable, buy a couple and go when you can.  The team will have the valuable support it needs. That's why it works here.  People have seen us almost lose our team, no one wants that to ever happen again. People buy season tickets and go when they can, its how we make sure our team is in a solid financial situation.  I know many business owners who have a couple tickets they just give away to customers. I'm not picking on Winnipeg, same happens in Edmonton and Calgary.  Truth is id like to see every stadium full every game, it would make the league stronger and hopefully maybe more money to pay our players too. 

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Don't use the Jets as a excuse.  They were gone for a long time and attendance wasn't any higher. The Moose weren't always there either.  Winnipeg is more a big city than Regina.  Big city people usually don't pay for something they may not use. CFL season tickets are very affordable, buy a couple and go when you can.  The team will have the valuable support it needs. That's why it works here.  People have seen us almost lose our team, no one wants that to ever happen again. People buy season tickets and go when they can, its how we make sure our team is in a solid financial situation.  I know many business owners who have a couple tickets they just give away to customers. I'm not picking on Winnipeg, same happens in Edmonton and Calgary.  Truth is id like to see every stadium full every game, it would make the league stronger and hopefully maybe more money to pay our players too. 

The Jets past season is a legit "excuse" though. That late post season run, ate up tons of money! Both from person to person, but also business'. Some corporate season ticket holders have not come back to the bombers because they used those funds on playoff tickets. It's just a fact. Also, the moose have been here since the Jets left the first time. And most of the tickets sold to corporations are used via give aways etc. that's nothing unique to regina.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

The Jets past season is a legit "excuse" though. That late post season run, ate up tons of money! Both from person to person, but also business'. Some corporate season ticket holders have not come back to the bombers because they used those funds on playoff tickets. It's just a fact. Also, the moose have been here since the Jets left the first time. And most of the tickets sold to corporations are used via give aways etc. that's nothing unique to regina.

Fair points.  My point still stands.  You are not going to get that grass roots level support in the city. In fairness to Bombers, they are well supported and a very solid base. I am speaking in general terms referring to the league as a whole.  The smaller stadium is one way to go, worked well in Montreal. Not working in Toronto, that team needs to be moved to a smaller center IMHO

18 minutes ago, Ripper said:

was waiting for your retort..and you can't compare different eras...If you look back at average attendances through the decades the Bombers have out drew the riders...they only have been putting more buts into seats "consistently" since the mid 2000's

And sorry to rain on your thoughts but yes the Jets and other options in the city do have an impact..as I am sure it does in Vancouver..Edm..Cgy..Mtl and Ott. The riders are the only ticket in town for the province and many are fair weather fans there as well as in a lot of cities..hence the numerous telethons to save them, and the sale of Rider Shares that are not worth anything but the paper printed on.

If things turn south there the Rider fan base is notorious for turning back on team and staying away in droves to the point of almost folding several times...truth is in the history and you cant change or dispute it...If that team went as long without winning a Cup or having sustained success like occurred here you would be hard pressed I bet to get 20k to games

And the Moose replaced the Jets essentially and I recall were the highest attended team. Fan supprt in Winnipeg is not an issue...but some families have to choose one team over the other..thats just the way things are economically today, and I bet if Winnipeg was as Regina is...no Major League team of any kind, and no minor league hockey and Baseball to support that IGF would be filled to, or close to capacity every game, as that would be all sports fans in city would have

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

was waiting for your retort..and you can't compare different eras...If you look back at average attendances through the decades the Bombers have out drew the riders...they only have been putting more buts into seats "consistently" since the mid 2000's

And sorry to rain on your thoughts but yes the Jets and other options in the city do have an impact..as I am sure it does in Vancouver..Edm..Cgy..Mtl and Ott. The riders are the only ticket in town for the province and many are fair weather fans there as well as in a lot of cities..hence the numerous telethons to save them, and the sale of Rider Shares that are not worth anything but the paper printed on.

If things turn south there the Rider fan base is notorious for turning back on team and staying away in droves to the point of almost folding several times...truth is in the history and you cant change or dispute it...If that team went as long without winning a Cup or having sustained success like occurred here you would be hard pressed I bet to get 20k to games

And the Moose replaced the Jets essentially and I recall were the highest attended team. Fan supprt in Winnipeg is not an issue...but some families have to choose one team over the other..thats just the way things are economically today, and I bet if Winnipeg was as Regina is...no Major League team of any kind, and no minor league hockey and Baseball to support that IGF would be filled to, or close to capacity every game, as that would be all sports fans in city would have

You mean my Rider shares aren't worth a million dollars?