Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

1 hour ago, Sard said:

It's not about criminal offences, it's about violence against women.  The league has taken a big stand on that, so they take any situation related to that very seriously.

Yes I would agree.  A drug offences is a "hurt yourself" crime whereas this obviously has negative ramifications for the other party.

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wait.  You can't do that?  I assume he showed it to people.  Isn't Canada a one-party consent law?  Maybe different for audio vs video.  Either way its sleazy to video tape without consent.  But I think there is a better solution than criminal court.  Unless he extorted her or showed it to people...tban that sucks.

Aside from the fact that this is a repulsive thing to do

Does this offence require that the person charged understand that it is a criminal act? I think probably yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Messam didn't know it was a crime.

The way things are these days, I think a lot of people would find this surprising.

Edited by Mark F

8 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Heath is pretty high event, makes big plays for both teams.  Our secondary had been better without him and he’s certainly not worth the cap space when you can get guys like Fogg, Alexander, Fenner for less.

I've always wondered if Heath was a bit of a cancer in the locker room. Seems like he might be a bit of a selfish player too - more concerned about INTs than just doing his job.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wait.  You can't do that?  I assume he showed it to people.  Isn't Canada a one-party consent law?  Maybe different for audio vs video.  Either way its sleazy to video tape without consent.  But I think there is a better solution than criminal court.  Unless he extorted her or showed it to people...tban that sucks.

So you think it should be OK to not tell someone you are filming them in an intimate situation like that? I mean it's one thing to get naked and bump uglies with someone but not everyone wants to have a record of that. 

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Wait.  You can't do that?  I assume he showed it to people.  Isn't Canada a one-party consent law?  Maybe different for audio vs video.  Either way its sleazy to video tape without consent.  But I think there is a better solution than criminal court.  Unless he extorted her or showed it to people...man that sucks.

An all too common use of sex videos is when one party to the relationship wants out and the other who has the video recording uses it to force a continuation of the relationship.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

An all too common use of sex videos is when one party to the relationship wants out and the other who has the video recording uses it to force a continuation of the relationship.

Yup.  Im curious to see more about this particular case because of the charge and the time it took to lay that charge. I assume they’d go with extortion if that was an issue but maybe it was not explicit. 

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

Considering the amount of people who film others while pretending to film themselves and then post it on FB...  this is a very interesting case - sex or no sex.

I think in public there isn't a reasonable expectation of privacy but I never made it to law school

17 hours ago, Mark F said:

Aside from the fact that this is a repulsive thing to do

Does this offence require that the person charged understand that it is a criminal act? I think probably yes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Messam didn't know it was a crime.

The way things are these days, I think a lot of people would find this surprising.

Ignorance of the Law is not an excuse in criminal proceedings.

On 2018-07-30 at 10:39 AM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Heath is pretty high event, makes big plays for both teams.  Our secondary had been better without him and he’s certainly not worth the cap space when you can get guys like Fogg, Alexander, Fenner for less.

That is so true. Was it this weekend where halftime highlights showed him leave his man to go for the int. Yikes. It looked like he made his move before the ball was in the air. 

18 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not a lawyer but there is a big difference between recording a telephone conversation and doing a Kardashian. 

19 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Anybody see what adams had to say about mtl fans calling for Manziel at the game...

Yes, it hurt me to hear that. I have nothing more to say or to give to the supporters of Montreal. Never again," Adams told La Presse, per Google translate. "Their behavior was very disrespectful. It was not like I was playing badly. I do not want them to ask me for anything, not even a small piece of equipment." 

“I do not care what the situation is. It was a lack of respect and it affected me," Adams said. "I tried anyways to make plays on the field. But that's fine. In the future, I'll treat the fans as they treated me. That's all. "

38 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Yes, it hurt me to hear that. I have nothing more to say or to give to the supporters of Montreal. Never again," Adams told La Presse, per Google translate. "Their behavior was very disrespectful. It was not like I was playing badly. I do not want them to ask me for anything, not even a small piece of equipment." 

“I do not care what the situation is. It was a lack of respect and it affected me," Adams said. "I tried anyways to make plays on the field. But that's fine. In the future, I'll treat the fans as they treated me. That's all. "

More boos, incoming.....

31 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The next great CFL QB was supposed to be Franklin, not Adams and he wishes he had even some of Glenn's success.

There was huge buzz when Buono revealed that Adams was coming north...  like its not an either/or...

Man, it must be bye week.