Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

18 hours ago, Ripper said:

Our receivers are a big upgrade over yours in case you didn't see Bowman and Dressler not getting open and Adams and Demski dropping passes last week. 

I don't know how it became fact that the Riders have a great receiving corp this year. Roosevelt is good. Then what? Holley is in his 3rd season hasn't shown to be anything more than a journeyman. Carter is a cb now. Evans looks like he has promise, but JWL hasn't done anything. And a token Canadian...

yeah I think the notion that the Rider's receivers are this elite uniot has come and passed..Roosevalt is good for sure...but yu have probably the weakest Canadian group in the league, and Evans, Holley, and whomever else you toss out there are no better than anything else in the league for the most part, and truthfully not as good as most teams #1 and #2 guys....and with no legit QB to throw the ball to them...well you have the makings of the leagues worst offence

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Willy is a better QB than Matthews.

I'm not sure why Montreal won't just give Vernon Adams a shot though.

Highly debatable but doesn't matter.  They both should be shipped out of there immediately.  Dominique Davis at this point would outshine both of them.

Kavis Reed should wise up and make a trade offer to Desjardins ... Willy for Davis.

Edited by USABomberfan

57 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Highly debatable but doesn't matter.  They both should be shipped out of there immediately.  Dominique Davis at this point would outshine both of them.

Kavis Reed should wise up and make a trade offer to Desjardins ... Willy for Davis.

On that Alouettes team...? Yeah, I highly doubt it.

42 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

No time to wait for trial.

Yes that is the way things are done today.

I am going to generalize here, but it seems that in the past, too often, these kinds of things were swept under the rug. But in today's world you are often guilty before a trial.

I suspect that the Redblacks do not want the PR nightmare that keeping this guy on the roster till his conviction or acquittal would bring. So it is just easier to cut him now. 

(Just to give some context to my comments I do work with guys who have come out of the prison system.)

Just read about the passing of former Calgary Stampeder Larry Robinson. He was a mainstay on their defense from1961 to 75. The native of Calgary was an outstanding DB as well as the Stamps punter & PK. He was the CFL Western Conference Rookie Of The Year in 1961. He was runner up for the Schenley Award as the CFL's Top Canadian in 1964. He was a CFL Western Conference All Star in 1965, 1971 & 1972. As a kicker, he scored 1,033 points. His biggest FG was in the 1970 Western Final in Regina vs the Roughriders in the teeth of a raging blizzard.  He played in 3 Grey Cups in 1968, 1970 & was a Grey Cup champion in 1971. he was elected to the Canadian Football Hall Of Fame in 1998. Robinson was a great football player & I remember him very well.  That kick in the 1970 Western Final was a thing of legend.  May he RIP. 

Image result for stamps larry robinsonImage result for calgary stampeders larry robinson

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Why do they have to wait for a trial?   You can cut a guy for any reason.  This is a reason.

the league also said they won't approve any contract if someone else tries to sign him. So he's been blackballed without any due process

3 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Why do they have to wait for a trial?   You can cut a guy for any reason.  This is a reason.

Uhh what if he is innocent? Is that a good reason as well? Do we not have innocent until proven guilty or is that too much to ask nowadays?

16 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Uhh what if he is innocent? Is that a good reason as well? Do we not have innocent until proven guilty or is that too much to ask nowadays?

He is charged with 2 counts of sexual assault.   It may not look good enough to be worth giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure that was weighed in.  In principal, I agree with you, innocent till proven guilty. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I sure hope if Sherman is found not guilty he sues.  People's lives are being negatively affected by this so called #MeTooMovement & not everyone is guilty as charged.  Ambrosie sure is judge, jury & executioner here. 

The CFL is an organization  that markets itself as "family & women friendly".  You have someone here charged with sexual assault.  If they allow him to play, what does that say about them?  What if, god forbid, something else was to happen with that player?  While it might not be "fair" in some people's eyes, if you get charged with something like sexual assault, the organization is going to protect itself and it's reputation first and worry about an individual player last.   Might not seem fair, but in this day and age, the last thing the league would want is to be seen to be "covering up" or uncaring.  Sucks to be him, but if he clears his name, he might be welcome back.  For reference I point you to that guy that Hamilton was going to hire last year.  League rep comes first.

6 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

The CFL is an organization  that markets itself as "family & women friendly".  You have someone here charged with sexual assault.  If they allow him to play, what does that say about them?  What if, god forbid, something else was to happen with that player?  While it might not be "fair" in some people's eyes, if you get charged with something like sexual assault, the organization is going to protect itself and it's reputation first and worry about an individual player last.   Might not seem fair, but in this day and age, the last thing the league would want is to be seen to be "covering up" or uncaring.  Sucks to be him, but if he clears his name, he might be welcome back.  For reference I point you to that guy that Hamilton was going to hire last year.  League rep comes first.

Bang on.  If he is found not guilty and cleared, I'm sure the league will reinstate him to be signed by whomever. 

14 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

I can accept that. 

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

If the league was so picky about character then how do they allow the Riders to sign half of their roster....