Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

32 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Agree. But, how else do you evaluate a player with limited or no CFL experience? College game film? Manziel has some great college game film. You have to go by how well they perform in practice against your DB's, how well they know the playbook, connection with QB's. And, how they're buying into your system and their role in it. That matters. I know people loved good old TJ Thorpe, but at the end of the day if he was that talented, and had a positive attitude, he'd  be playing somewhere. 

Many of the guys Jones brings in are major head scratchers. And I'd reserve judgement on the wisdom of signing a post ACL tear Kenny Shaw. 

You toss him into a game or two...and make him work hinself off the roster and cut bait...or he makes it impossible to remove him...thats how....Lankford should have been the last resort in this equation...and even then I would probably split reps with Simonese and Peterman in that spot and dressed Flanders in the import roster spot as a non DI or dressed another import for free use on defense

29 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Lots of teams couldn't afford Bighill. BC included.

If you want a player...you make it work...and Bighill did say that there was a mutual respect between him and Osh and that he really wanted to play for him...so it helped in the process undeniably 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

If you want a player...you make it work...and Bighill did say that there was a mutual respect between him and Osh and that he really wanted to play for him...so it helped in the process undeniably 

I am not implying in any way that Bighill didn't want to play for MOS or the Bombers getting him wasn't a great move.  Its priorities however for the other teams. If you are going to pay a MLB over 200k, something has to give elsewhere.  We let Muamba go who was making that much because we wanted Collaros and the money had to come from somewhere. Nichols and Harris are both making big money on offense, maybe the money isn't over flowing to sign receivers as a result. Just a theory

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

You toss him into a game or two...and make him work hinself off the roster and cut bait...or he makes it impossible to remove him...thats how....Lankford should have been the last resort in this equation...and even then I would probably split reps with Simonese and Peterman in that spot and dressed Flanders in the import roster spot as a non DI or dressed another import for free use on defense

I like your idea of Simonise and Petermann in rather than Lankford. NI versus import aside, they're just better options at this point. And definitely Flanders in place of Lankford I fully endorse. 

27 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I am not implying in any way that Bighill didn't want to play for MOS or the Bombers getting him wasn't a great move.  Its priorities however for the other teams. If you are going to pay a MLB over 200k, something has to give elsewhere.  We let Muamba go who was making that much because we wanted Collaros and the money had to come from somewhere. Nichols and Harris are both making big money on offense, maybe the money isn't over flowing to sign receivers as a result. Just a theory

Biggie makes 190k..Harris 195 k..Nichols is a wash as is making on par what all starters do..actually less than Reilly..Collaros and Harris in Ottawa..Prob was less than Rickey Ray too.

Also Wild is on the cheap..as is Dressler and Adams relatively speaking compared to most teams #1 and #2 players and we have only 1 guy even remotely close to what youare paying 3 guys on your d-line in Opo..and he makes less than any of those 3...money isn't an issue here...it's the managements blind thinking to go with who you break camp with...never a recipe for success..Cal Murphy was forever bringing in guys and changing mid season...as was Riley...both of who are the only guys that have won a cup here that most if not all fans on this board would recognize name wise....a big reason why Winnipeg has been able to reach the peak a few times over the last 10 yrs..but never conquer it...

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

Which ones? 

Not trying to be rude.....

I ask that, only cause I question that idea. I see it all the time, it may be true, but really, who actually knows.

There are only so many pro football jobs to go around. and lots, probably thousands of players that would like to play. How much choice do most of them really have? 

Can't remember the specific names...but I have seen interviews with more than one player who have said they are here because of O'Shea and not somewhere else.

17 minutes ago, blitzmore said:

Can't remember the specific names...but I have seen interviews with more than one player who have said they are here because of O'Shea and not somewhere else.

I would say exactly the same thing about my coach if I wanted to see the field as much as possible.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

I was answering the question about who is in Winnipeg because of O'Shea, and the answer is Bighill.

1 hour ago, blitzmore said:

maybe because of job security??  'aww shucks, if coach osh likes me, I'll at least stick around the whole season if not longer!  no worries getting cut there!'

now that said.... what happened with Kenny Stafford?  Was he cut in camp last year?  just checked the receiving stats, and he is currently sitting ahead of our #1 receiver in receiving yards.

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

We had Ricky Collins who has had some success in the CFL and RJ Harris who is having a decent season for Ottawa in camps for us and we cut them. Maybe our staff isn't good at evaluating WR?

We cut Kenny Stafford as well who was mostly a PR player when he was here. He played a bit but didn't get a huge chance. I think you have to give guys opportunities to keep everybody on their toes. If a player has a bad game then he should be worried about someone taking his place not content with saying he'll do better next time.. Lankford hasn't shown much as a receiver or returner so how will it hurt the offense if someone else slots in at his position?  It certainly would be a motivating factor knowing he could be replaced. This is why people criticize O'Shea with his stubbornness & we see it every game as well as his refusal to own up to his mistakes. It's going to be his ultimate downfall & maybe that's what should happen as he refuses to change. 

6 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

We had Ricky Collins who has had some success in the CFL and RJ Harris who is having a decent season for Ottawa in camps for us and we cut them. Maybe our staff isn't good at evaluating WR?

Ricky Collins was released because he had a crappy mini-camp which Collins has acknowledged.

9 hours ago, Booch said:

Not talking about off-season and in TC with guys brought in....it's the in-season adjustments and players brought in....we fail to do that and pretty much every team that sees a weakness or an area where there is an opportunity to upgrade with a player who is available...the Bombers stand pat and throw out the "we are happy with our roster" schtick...even tho it is apparently very obvious there are some soft spots....and pretty much every other team has brought in guys mid-season..who have made a significant impact....I can't even think of an instant where we did that under these guys...and there have been many guys come back to the league the last few years where the opportunity was there...but we don't aggressively go after it

trust me former team loyalty only goes so far in the CFL and the $$ value goes a long way..Last year take Derrel Walker for example...if we said hey...u will be our main man..we will pay you 10k more than Edmonton will...he would have been here and you dump Denmark and its done

Same as this year..If Zylstra comes free....you offer him what it takes to get him to sign and if it means dumping Dressler...oh well..football business is a ruthless one but it needs to be to be a winner

Great post. QFT.

9 hours ago, Booch said:

sometimes though practice is not a true indicator of what a guy will do in a game...happens all the time.

Also...I wouldn't hold my breath on Walters making it work on a Zylstra as he didn't on Rogers..or Walker...and doesn't have the guts to sign a guy like that..and cut a Dressler

If you don't cut Dressler this week his salary counts for the season.  Even if they signed someone like that they wouldn't cut Dressler, there'd be no benefit.

On 2018-08-21 at 5:53 PM, Floyd said:

Yeah if we're criticizing  Osh for being too loyal...  Dave Ritchie is not the guy to compare him too - maybe the only guy MORE loyal to his players than Osh...

ya, we saw a lot longer in the tooth vets age out and still start with Ritchie. Love him as a coach. But we all knew it.  

57 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If you don't cut Dressler this week his salary counts for the season.  Even if they signed someone like that they wouldn't cut Dressler, there'd be no benefit.

Can't cut him on 6 game anyway...  but I think thats $$ opened up no?

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Can't cut him on 6 game anyway...  but I think thats $$ opened up no?

it would open his money up after 6 games on the IR. But we have 9 games left in the year. So we could save 6 games salary (last week plus 5 more) then be on the hook for the last 4 weeks. I believe thats how it works any way.  Would not cut him my self.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

it would open his money up after 6 games on the IR. But we have 9 games left in the year. So we could save 6 games salary (last week plus 5 more) then be on the hook for the last 4 weeks. I believe thats how it works any way.  Would not cut him my self.

According to the Bomber site they just took Dressler off the 6-game so his salary is now counting. Hardrick looks like he is going to be out for a while.

OUCH UPDATE:

The Bombers moved RT Jermarcus Hardrick to the six-game injured list on Wednesday and removed WRWeston Dressler. LB Chandler Fenner, who has been replaced by Maurice Leggett in the starting lineup, did take some turns in Leggett’s spot and at defensive back on Wednesday.

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Can't cut him when he is in the tub.       edit.  I see he is off 6 game now

Edited by Ripper