Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

sometimes though practice is not a true indicator of what a guy will do in a game...happens all the time.

Also...I wouldn't hold my breath on Walters making it work on a Zylstra as he didn't on Rogers..or Walker...and doesn't have the guts to sign a guy like that..and cut a Dressler

1 hour ago, blitzmore said:

some of them are here because he is here.

Which ones? 

Not trying to be rude.....

I ask that, only cause I question that idea. I see it all the time, it may be true, but really, who actually knows.

There are only so many pro football jobs to go around. and lots, probably thousands of players that would like to play. How much choice do most of them really have? 

Edited by Mark F

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think you're missing the tongue-in-cheek replies from pigseye. He's saying the coaches think Lankford is best, so he must be. He's also been heavily critical of the coaching staff, so one would surmise that he does not think highly of Lankford either but thinks the coaches do. 

he'll ( or she, whatever it may be)  wait a month or so, come back and argue endlessly that O'Shea is a terrible coach as proven by playing Lankford when everyone can see Lanky is no good . 

Edited by Mark F

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

he'll ( or she, whatever it may be)  wait a month or so, come back and argue endlessly that O'Shea is a terrible coach as proven by playing Lankford when everyone can see Lanky is no good . 

Nope, ain't going to happen. I'm towing the company line till the bitter end, it ain't worth the **** and abuse one has to put up with here unless you happened to play pro ball, then you get a pass, for just having an opinion.

But JCon is correct, the coaches have faith in Lankford and that's good enough for me. 

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Hazelton back on Edm roster... Mitchell healthy scratch...

EDM has to be odds on favourite to win the cup - that depth chart is stacked

Well if Walters has it in him...I'd be trying to steal him off the PR...He appears to be a guy who wants to play, and probably sees there being limited opportunity

I'm personally done with Lankford. I was done with him when he gave up on that corner route last year but it is what it is. We've had decent receivers in camp before that have gone on to play well for other teams. A part of that is A) they couldn't beat out the person in front of them like Adams, or Dressler etc. b) they just didn't fit the system well enough here. c) They didn't tow the company line, and I think this plays a larger factor. Which is a good thing and a bad thing.

Guess who has been tweeting this year about not getting playing time or about how the best players often don't get an opportunity...and guess where that player currently sits on this team....I'll give you a hint. He ain't on the IR.

59 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Which ones? 

I ask that, only cause I question that idea. I see it all the time, it may be true, but really, who actually knows.

There are only so many pro football jobs to go around. and lots, probably thousands of players that would like to play. How much choice do most of them really have? 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/okpalaugo-plans-on-giving-mike-reilly-a-rough-winnipeg-welcome-in-west-semi/article36925281/

14 minutes ago, Albertabomberguy said:

Thanks, read it. doesn't seem to indicate that his signing had anything to do with who the coach is. 

But thought about it some more, I think a player that probably could have signed with several teams, but came here cause of O'Shea is Mike Miller. A really good player.

Just guessing but seems like the two are naturals to work together.

Edited by Mark F

19 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Well this won't make Booch happy, the Riders just signed former Argo 1,000 yard receiver Kenny Shaw. 

Lol....yup...as much as Jones has shown he sucks as a g.m he does one thing right..constantly brings in guys to try and upgrade what he has..tho some of the guys he kicks tires on are head scratchers.

But..they lose a receiver..they bring one in..but we stay pat and recycle a 3rd yr guy with no upside..and really...somewhat useless for the role he is filling in our offence

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

Which ones? 

I believe that Bighill straight up said that he wanted to come play for O'Shea.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

sometimes though practice is not a true indicator of what a guy will do in a game...happens all the time.

Also...I wouldn't hold my breath on Walters making it work on a Zylstra as he didn't on Rogers..or Walker...and doesn't have the guts to sign a guy like that..and cut a Dressler

Agree. But, how else do you evaluate a player with limited or no CFL experience? College game film? Manziel has some great college game film. You have to go by how well they perform in practice against your DB's, how well they know the playbook, connection with QB's. And, how they're buying into your system and their role in it. That matters. I know people loved good old TJ Thorpe, but at the end of the day if he was that talented, and had a positive attitude, he'd  be playing somewhere. 

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

Lol....yup...as much as Jones has shown he sucks as a g.m he does one thing right..constantly brings in guys to try and upgrade what he has..tho some of the guys he kicks tires on are head scratchers.

But..they lose a receiver..they bring one in..but we stay pat and recycle a 3rd yr guy with no upside..and really...somewhat useless for the role he is filling in our offence

Many of the guys Jones brings in are major head scratchers. And I'd reserve judgement on the wisdom of signing a post ACL tear Kenny Shaw. 

5 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Many of the guys Jones brings in are major head scratchers. And I'd reserve judgement on the wisdom of signing a post ACL tear Kenny Shaw. 

Torn acl players have returned and done well afterwards, although the odds are against them.  Collaros, Lulay.  Kory Sheets played pretty well for Riders. 

8 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Lots of teams couldn't afford Bighill. BC included.

Calgary has singleton, esks 47, BC elimimian, t.o.  bear woods, hamilton Dean/Lawrence, Montreal Henoc. Maybe Ottawa would have been an option. even farther from his fam in Vancouver. Wpg v Sask is pretty easy choice.

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Torn acl players have returned and done well afterwards, although the odds are against them.  Collaros, Lulay.  Kory Sheets played pretty well for Riders. 

Definitely. And I hope for his sake he does come back. I'm not defending the current management's ability to find receivers. So far they suck at it. But, let's not imply that somehow the Bombers missed out on signing an AJ Green in his prime level talent just because they chose not to bring in Kenny Shaw. I'm sure they looked into it.

5 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Definitely. And I hope for his sake he does come back. I'm not defending the current management's ability to find receivers. So far they suck at it. But, let's not imply that somehow the Bombers missed out on signing an AJ Green in his prime level talent just because they chose not to bring in Kenny Shaw. I'm sure they looked into it.

I agree with you right up to where you said you are sure they looked into it.  They are happy with what they got and are not looking