Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Charleston Hughes says hi.   When and where have I ever mentioned that no one wants to play in Winnipeg?  I would think for the fan experience Winnipeg and Regina would be top two for sure.  If you want to disappear into the masses and not be hounded by fans, BC, Montreal, Toronto would be good.  

One traded player.  good for you!

*slow clap*

On 2018-08-16 at 9:05 PM, Ripper said:

Plop was a front runner for head coach if O'Day would have got the GM job.  If Jones gets canned and Jeremy O'day takes over, that's exactly what he will do  

right about now half the fan base would be only too happy to deal plop n matty to the riders. I wouldnt send nichols. 

I do think plop is a better hc then OC though. His greatest strength as a coach is as a teacher and leader. If he ever stops getting in his own way trying to out think him self he'd be great at x n o stuff too. At this point i expect him to be in bc sask or mtl as a hc next year. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

right about now half the fan base would be only too happy to deal plop n matty to the riders. I wouldnt send nichols. 

I do think plop is a better hc then OC though. His greatest strength as a coach is as a teacher and leader. If he ever stops getting in his own way trying to out think him self he'd be great at x n o stuff too. At this point i expect him to be in bc sask or mtl as a hc next year. 

How I feel about Nichols is well documented.  Last night, lets just say I wasn't surprised to see how Nichols acted in the face of adversity. Plop was in a tough spot, so not all his fault. Pretty hard to win games when you know you always have to score more than 30 points.  The defense was bad and worse yet, quit in the 4th quarter

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I texted the sister  in-law in Regina last night part way through the game and asked what they would trade for Nichols lol

On 2018-08-18 at 10:42 AM, Ripper said:

How I feel about Nichols is well documented.  Last night, lets just say I wasn't surprised to see how Nichols acted in the face of adversity. Plop was in a tough spot, so not all his fault. Pretty hard to win games when you know you always have to score more than 30 points.  The defense was bad and worse yet, quit in the 4th quarter

Nichols in general has done very well facing the blitz. The usual issue would be the offense disappearing for stretches and being too conservative. Last night was different. 

To be honest i feel like the CFL today is a race to 30 points. Like 100 in the nba I feel like the team that hits 30 first has a gigantic edge, and that any thing short of 30 is not a solid out put / lead.

Such few first downs blah blah blah thats what happens to defenses in the 4th. Same issues with the D as always. 

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Jon Ryan cut by Seattle. Time to bring him back to Winnipeg, lol.

I'd like to see him come back home. Regardless, it would be nice to see in the league somewhere.  I don't think he is done in the NFL yet however

27 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I'd like to see him come back home. Regardless, it would be nice to see in the league somewhere.  I don't think he is done in the NFL yet however

Even at 36, he was still a very effective punter last season. I suspect he'll catch on with another team before the end of preseason.

7 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Jon Ryan, IMO, would only play for the Riders if he ever decided to continue his career up north. He is from Regina and, according to news sources, has said he'd like to end his career in Regina. Personally, I doubt he ever comes back to the CFL though. 

Can he play DB? 

8 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Jon Ryan, IMO, would only play for the Riders if he ever decided to continue his career up north. He is from Regina and, according to news sources, has said he'd like to end his career in Regina. Personally, I doubt he ever comes back to the CFL though. 

Is that news source Rod Pederson?

34 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Awe must have been much cheaper than Bighill, glad it worked out this way.

I think I heard that part of the rationale for not making Bighill a bigger offer was to save some capo for Awe when he came free because they were pretty sure he would.  It will be interesting to see if Awe gained weight for the NFL opportunity.  If that is the case he may not make much of an impact until next season.

12 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

I think you are correct on all points.  The only caveat is whether the Riders want him at the time he finally uses up his opportunities in the NFL.  He should be able to kick there for another 5 years.

and so it appears to be occurring again..teams are constanlty evolving their line-ups..bringing in new guys at expense of current ones to better their squad...as we stand pat with the same old "we like our guys"...and "he has worked hard in practice"..."we aren't interested in him (Mathews)

This is the reason that I don't think this management group has the stones to get over the hump...blind loyalty and "liking" a guy only goes so far...and I agree with what Leggett said last year...we need a couple grade A assbags on the team who play to win and don't give a flying @##$ what people think on how they do it...we have a more than capable locker room to manage and maintain it...time for coaches and management to stop being a bunch of ******* and be old school football men...infuriates me to no end