Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

12 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I seem to recall the Bombers or maybe Ed Tait tweeting that the club has no interest in pursuing Matthews.

Yeah they said in that article that the Bombers have no interest in Matthews. 

How is a team with a receiving core as bad as ours not interested in Matthews? Insanity. 

21 hours ago, Tracker said:

There's a weird sort of symmetry at work here- we're can't make mid-game adjustments and we can't make mid-season additions to the team.

It suggests a stubborn way of doing things. Oh, I see what you did there.

40 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Really can’t remember the last guy who was a NFL cut come in and make a huge impact. Most of these guys come in stay on PR rest of year and make impact next year. And not talking about guys who have already played in the league.

Years ago NFL cuts were a staple for every team. Upwards of a dozen guys would come in on each team. Kent Austin was an NFL cut as I recall & took over the qb position in Saskatchewan in 1986, I believe. These guys don't seem to make an impact anymore.  Nor are there anywhere near the numbers as well. 

12 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Yeah they said in that article that the Bombers have no interest in Matthews. 

How is a team with a receiving core as bad as ours not interested in Matthews? Insanity. 

white-coats.gif

CFL.ca Mid-Season All-Star Team

Quarterback

Mike Reilly
Running Back Andrew Harris, William Powell
Receiver Duke Williams, Derel Walker, Kamar Jorden, Brad Sinopoli
Offensive Tackle Stanley Bryant*, SirVincent Rogers*
Offensive Guard  Brendan LaBatte, Shane Bergman
Centre Ucambre Williams

DEFENCE

Defensive End Charleston Hughes, Ja’Gared Davis
Defensive Tackle Micah Johnson, Ted Laurent
Linebacker Alex Singleton, Adam Bighill, Henoc Muamba*
Cornerback Ciante Evans, Delvin Breaux*
Halfback Rico Murray, Emmanuel Davis
Safety  Brandon Dozier

SPECIAL TEAMS

Punter Richie Leone
Kicker Lewis Ward
Kick Returner Christion Jones

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/31/harris-williams-lead-cfl-ca-mid-season-stars/

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Labatte as an allstar ?

By comparison to the rest of the Riser O-line, yes. However, unless I am mistaken, the Riders have allowed the second-lowest number of QB sacks, remarkable given the quarterback situation there.

Edited by Tracker

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Brandon Dozier at S? How do you take anybody out of that defense? Heck Henoc too falls in that boat.

Thing is, when you're on the field as much as the Montreal D is, you're bound to lead in some statistical categories. 

Muamba is tied with Ackie for the league lead of 64 defensive tackles. Doizer is 5th with 54. 

3 of the top 5 leading tacklers are from Montreal.  

33 minutes ago, Tracker said:

By comparison to the rest of the Riser O-line, yes. However, unless I am mistaken, the Riders have allowed the second-lowest number of QB sacks, remarkable given the quarterback situation there.

when your first 5 games are nothing but screen passes and runs, it's hard to give up sacks.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

12 sacks given up is the least in the CFL.  The Bombers & Stamps are tied for second with 15.

FWIW Winnipeg has played one game more than both Saskatchewan and Calgary.

19 hours ago, Tracker said:

Not the second lowest.  The lowest

Saturday, September 1:

DB Jeff Richards 

Richards spent last season on the Chargers’ practice roster after participating in training camp with Carolina but has been released. He spent the 2015 and 2016 seasons as a member of the Ottawa Redblacks.

DB Jonathon Mincy 

CFL rights holder: None

Mincy joined the Bears back in January following two seasons as the Alouettes’ boundary cornerback but has been released by the Bears according to an online report.

DB Dexter McCoil

A two-time West Division all-star, McCoil has been released by the 49ers.

OL Brett Boyko

CFL rights holder: B.C. Lions

Boyko made his NFL debut late last season after two years on the Chargers’ practice roster but has been released after reaching an injury settlement with the club.

OL Ryan Hunter –  (N)

CFL rights holder: Toronto Argonauts

Hunter has been waived by the Kansas City Chiefs. The 2018 draft class top-ranked CFL draft prospect signed with the Chiefs as a priority free agent after going unselected in the NFL draft. Hunter will go through the waiver process and is a strong practice roster candidate.

Friday, August 31:

OL Austin Pasztor 

CFL rights holder: Edmonton Eskimos

After six seasons in the NFL, including last year with the Falcons, Pasztor has been released. He was fourth overall pick in the 2012 draft by Edmonton – with a pick acquired in the Ricky Ray trade – but has earned almost $5 million USD in his career.

OL Dakoda Shepley – (N)

CFL rights holder: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Shepley was signed by the Jets as a priority free agent following the conclusion of the 2018 NFL draft and received a significant signing bonus from the club but he has been waived.

DB Kacy Rodgers II 

The former Saskatchewan Roughrider defensive back signed his first NFL contract in February but has been released – despite the fact that Rodgers’ father, Kacy Rodgers Sr., is the Jets’ defensive coordinator.

WR DeVier Posey (I)

Posey signed a one-year contract with the Ravens fresh-off a Grey Cup victory with Toronto – including a $100,000 signing bonus – but was released. Argos GM Jim Popp says the team wants him back.

WR Mark Chapman (N)

CFL rights holder: Hamilton Tiger-Cats

The first overall pick in the 2018 CFL Draft, Chapman has been waived by the Denver Broncos and they are reportedly not immediately considering him for a practice roster spot.

WR/DB Terrell Sinkfield (I)

The former Argo, Ticat and Lion was trying to make the New York Jets as a defensive back but has been released.

Tuesday, August 28

OL Geoff Gray (I)

CFL rights holder: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Gray was placed on waivers by the Cleveland Browns.