Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

17 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Wow. When I look back 3 years ago and look at the hiring that each team had made - O’Shea, entering his 3rd year, and the shiny new DC, with sunglasses and the many titles - Jones. I remember the excitement wafting over the borders from Sask (not the usual wafting). There was a new sheriff in town..and he looked legit. Not so much now.

Compare the orgs. now and really, there is no comparison. The Bombers are in order, the Riders are in disarray. Does anybody really know what’s going on there? 

Saskatchewan, a team with a good defence on the field, but there is no defence for what direction Jones is taking that team.

Let's not forget all the skulduggery that's been going on over there and the murder that Jones has been getting away with. It never would have come to this if the league had cracked down hard on Jones when he was caught hiding players. Sheriff? You're being kind. How about charlatan, cheater, and person of ill repute. You're right about the organisations being different. They're polar opposites.

17 hours ago, Ripper said:

We interviewed O'Shea when we hired Chamblin.  Do we win that cup in 2013 if O'shea gets that job. Jones looked like a world beater when he was hired, now he looks like a great DC who is over his head.  MOS was likely one more loss away from getting fired but remains, was that a good move? Time will tell.  Interesting how things work out sometimes.  That's what makes this league and this game the one I love the most. This league means so much to the fans and this country. For any fan of whatever team that supports their team, cheers....

You'll never know if you'd have won that cup. You very well may have won it and another or more. 

No, Jones looks like a cheat and a charlatan.

O'Shea was never close to getting fired. That's not the way Miller and Walters roll.

The Bombers were willing to take a chance on a character guy and let him develop. The Riders chose to hire a guy with no character and looked the other way when he cheated and lied and continue to do so.

You're getting exactly what you deserve. I'm glad you love it. We love it too. 😉

3 minutes ago, J5V said:

You'll never know if you'd have won that cup. You very well may have won it and another or more. 

No, Jones looks like a cheat and a charlatan.

O'Shea was never close to getting fired. That's not the way Miller and Walters roll.

The Bombers were willing to take a chance on a character guy and let him develop. The Riders chose to hire a guy with no character and looked the other way when he cheated and lied and continue to do so.

You're getting exactly what you deserve. I'm glad you love it. We love it too. 😉

Meanwhile, Jones has won just as many grey cups in Sask and O'Shea has in Winnipeg.   

which really doesn't mean anything i this argument, or discussion...it's more so how the team and the organization has progressed as a whole under each's direction..and the culture and atmosphere being developed...and you have to have a head buried way deep in the sand and be oblivious to common sense and league wide perception as to which organization is in a better spot..and looked at with more envy

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Meanwhile, Jones has won just as many grey cups in Sask and O'Shea has in Winnipeg.   

Meanwhile, Jones has orchestrated a train wreck and is on the verge of being run out of town except you can't afford to run him out of town and are stuck with him.

Meanwhile, O'Shea has built a quality team of character players that looks to be the envy of the league and is a well-respected head coach that is loved by Bomber fans and players alike.

Yeah, you're right. They are the same. LOL!

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

which really doesn't mean anything i this argument, or discussion...it's more so how the team and the organization has progressed as a whole under each's direction..and the culture and atmosphere being developed...and you have to have a head buried way deep in the sand and be oblivious to common sense and league wide perception as to which organization is in a better spot..and looked at with more envy

I agree right up to the envy part.  

2 hours ago, MC said:

The option that Saskatchewan might go for would be to fire Jones the GM and Lord of the Green, and keep Jones the HC.  He is a very good coach.  If not, then they would not have won the games they have the last couple of years.  They are still a team nobody wants to play.  I would not be surprised if they beat the Stamps this week for instance. 

As Sask HC, he is presently 18-25.  Your definition of "good coach" is rather generous.  He can be called a good HC when he's given a solid roster to work with, but therein lies the problem.  As a GM he is anything but "good".  To demote him would mean a complete re-doing of his contract and a huge loss of salary, not to mention, reputation.  That's not going to happen.

By the way, I'm not sure where you're getting this "no one wants to play them" stuff.  they're 3-4 right now.  Sure in the East they'd be a powerhouse, but then again, the Winnipeg Rifles would probably do ok too.  And I too think that they have a chance of beating Calgary.  Assuming of course that this is the day that the Stampeders are doing a "anyone in the stands who always wanted to play for the Stamps, come on down, put on pads and get in there" day.  If they do that, Saskatchewan will probably win.  It'll be close, but they'll probably pull it off.

10 minutes ago, J5V said:

Meanwhile, Jones has orchestrated a train wreck and is on the verge of being run out of town except you can't afford to run him out of town and are stuck with him.

Meanwhile, O'Shea has built a quality team of character players that looks to be the envy of the league and is a well-respected head coach that is loved by Bomber fans and players alike.

Yeah, you're right. They are the same. LOL!

We can definitely afford to run him out of town, that is not a issue.  You missed the point. You were implying or I thought you were implying that we would have had more success had we hired O'Shea.  Interestingly had that happened he would have been stuck with Ritchie Hall as a defensive co-ordinator, no way they could have ever won a cup, even though DD was playing some of his best football of his career at that time having just been to the 09 and 10 cup finals.   Sound familiar. You get my point now? 

Edited by Ripper

that again in itself...Rider fans are the sole proprietors of this notion that they are the crown jewel of the league and that teams/players/management/fans envy them...which is just blatantly false...as someone with connections to...and in the league...I can honestly say that is untrue...and in a lot of instances players don't really want to go there because Regina is the least desirable city in the league to play in...

Just now, Ripper said:

We can definitely afford to run him out of town, that is not a issue.  You missed the point. You were implying or I thought you implying that we would have had more success had we hired O'Shea.  Interestingly had that happened he would have been stuck with Ritchie Hall as a defensive co-ordinator, no way they could have ever won a cup, even though DD was playing some of his best football of his career at that time having just been to the 09 and 10 cup finals.   Sound familiar. You get my point now? 

I have no idea if O'Shea would have been a better coach than the dumpster fire manager you ended up hiring, but I do know one thing.  O'Shea would actually have enough class to wear your teams colours on the sideline.  He probably would have puked in the locker room standing there in all that green, but he would have worn it.  Can't understand how you folks can tolerate a GM/HC that won't be caught wearing your primary colours.

Riders-jn-Chris-Jones-with-Coaching-Staf

2 minutes ago, Ripper said:

We can definitely afford to run him out of town, that is not a issue.  You missed the point. You were implying or I thought you implying that we would have had more success had we hired O'Shea.  Interestingly had that happened he would have been stuck with Ritchie Hall as a defensive co-ordinator, no way they could have ever won a cup, even though DD was playing some of his best football of his career at that time having just been to the 09 and 10 cup finals.   Sound familiar. You get my point now? 

well based on pretty much all defensive stats..Richie Hall's defense is better than Jones defense...so being saddled with him would probably have you in a better spot as Oshea would have created the culture a team wants...heck even your own green pompom waving homer Penison has said on record that word around the league is that Winnipeg is the destination players want to be going to..based on how the team treats players, and how much players enjoy playing here..and for each other...for him to say that must of hurt like hell and be so glaringly true...he couldn't spin his usual pro Rider B.S and claim that Riderville was the destination of choice....and based on how veterans have been treated there the last 2 years...good luck on signing any good "quality character" guys

1 minute ago, Booch said:

well based on pretty much all defensive stats..Richie Hall's defense is better than Jones defense...so being saddled with him would probably have you in a better spot as Oshea would have created the culture a team wants...heck even your own green pompom waving homer Penison has said on record that word around the league is that Winnipeg is the destination players want to be going to..based on how the team treats players, and how much players enjoy playing here..and for each other...for him to say that must of hurt like hell and be so glaringly true...he couldn't spin his usual pro Rider B.S and claim that Riderville was the destination of choice....and based on how veterans have been treated there the last 2 years...good luck on signing any good "quality character" guys

Charleston Hughes says hi.   When and where have I ever mentioned that no one wants to play in Winnipeg?  I would think for the fan experience Winnipeg and Regina would be top two for sure.  If you want to disappear into the masses and not be hounded by fans, BC, Montreal, Toronto would be good.  

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

he got traded there...so he has to grin and bear it

You know that Hughes hates playing for Jones??  Jefferson came back from NFL and went straight back to Jones, he is of low character?  The players like Jones and many have said it.  I guess they must be lying

never said that and Hughes had no say in the matter...if he wanted to play for Jones he would have signed there when Jones first arrived...but no he re-uppped in CGY...players are always going to say that when there...also...I know Jefferson fielded offers from several teams..so it wasn't straight back my friend...But Jones payed more than what anyone thought to be worth while so yeah...he is there loving Jones...But if you truly think players don't haven't noticed how he has done certain things there (on the management side of things) and it has..and will have an effect moving forward...well then I don't know what to say..

Edited by Booch

15 minutes ago, Ripper said:

We can definitely afford to run him out of town, that is not a issue.  You missed the point. You were implying or I thought you were implying that we would have had more success had we hired O'Shea.  Interestingly had that happened he would have been stuck with Ritchie Hall as a defensive co-ordinator, no way they could have ever won a cup, even though DD was playing some of his best football of his career at that time having just been to the 09 and 10 cup finals.   Sound familiar. You get my point now? 

What is an issue is why you haven't run him out of town. He should have been turfed by now.

I got your point re: Chamblin. Perhaps it's your crystal ball that I'm missing.

Like all things seemingly Rider, Durant, a mediocre ham-and-egger, lacks character. Always has. Guy is a real POS.

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

never said that and Hughes had no say in the matter...if he wanted to play for Jones he would have signed there when Jones first arrived...but no he re-uppped in CGY...players are always going to say that when there...also...I know Jefferson fielded offers from several teams..so it wasn't straight back my friend...But Jones payed more than what anyone thought to be worth while so yeah...he is there loving Jones...But if you truly think players don't haven't noticed how he has done certain things there (on the management side of things) and it has..and will have an effect moving forward...well then I don't know what to say..

I'm not here defending Jones, I don't even like him. I just think you are playing the great guy card a little heavy with your management team.  Jones was hired to win the Grey Cup, nothing more and nothing less.  I expect him to do that or be fired.  You know where nice guys finish don't you?

1 minute ago, J5V said:

What is an issue is why you haven't run him out of town. He should have been turfed by now.

I got your point re: Chamblin. Perhaps it's your crystal ball that I'm missing.

Like all things seemingly Rider, Durant, a mediocre ham-and-egger, lacks character. Always has. Guy is a real POS.

If we don't get a roll and have a strong finish this year I want him gone.  If we do, things will be interesting

Yeah but if you have a Management team that is portrayed us unloyal and borders on unethical..as well as treats players like crap...well you get what is going on in Regina at the moment...there is a time to be Mr Nice Guy Manager...as well as Mr Not so nice...and Mr Jones has no grasp of the happy medium..

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

If we don't get a roll and have a strong finish this year I want him gone.  If we do, things will be interesting

Jones is on record as saying he is willing to take a pay cut due to the salary cap and the fact he has to axe some coaches next year. I think you should keep him regardless.

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah but if you have a Management team that is portrayed us unloyal and borders on unethical..as well as treats players like crap...well you get what is going on in Regina at the moment...there is a time to be Mr Nice Guy Manager...as well as Mr Not so nice...and Mr Jones has no grasp of the happy medium..

No he doesn't. I agree.   Good luck in the game tonight, should be a good one