Part way through......

do or die

Was on the road in the US.....just came home and have been watching the tape......part way through, so far....but have some questions.

What the hell was our game plan on offense?   You can stretch a field more vertically than horizontally....and we are not even making the attempt to do so
What the hell are our receivers doing?   Nichols is going deep into reads, and still having no one open downfield.  
What is with the back 7 on D?   Fogg at DHB looks horrible, Knox simply has no instincts at all, Hurl not quick enough.....and cover/tackle busts everywhere.
What is with Hall?   Never seen Glenn play before?  Came up with a great scheme.....for Glenn, that is.
What was with that first Nichols pic......Matt used everything but smoke and a blanket, telegraphing that one....

Only other question......where can I find more gin?

Edited by do or die

After a loss a team almost always looks bad; hence the hysteria on this board.  Look, take away the terrible decision by Nichols for that pick (or maybe the receiver didnt come back) and the punt return for a touchdown in the early part of the game and we are right in it. We sucked at times and deserved the loss, we will move on. We played our worst half of football in a while. With any luck we will take the Banjo Bowl.

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

After a loss a team almost always looks bad; hence the hysteria on this board.  Look, take away the terrible decision by Nichols for that pick (or maybe the receiver didnt come back) and the punt return for a touchdown in the early part of the game and we are right in it. We sucked at times and deserved the loss, we will move on. We played our worst half of football in a while. With any luck we will take the Banjo Bowl.

I don't even think it will require luck, just getting back to what they were doing before this week.

1 hour ago, do or die said:

What the hell was our game plan on offense?   You can stretch a field more vertically than horizontally....and we are not even making the attempt to do so

Riders were only rushing 2 or 3 guys and dropping everyone else back into coverage. We needed to rush the ball to force the Riders to play up on the line to stop the run. Take what the defense gives you. Then you can start stretching the field vertically. For some reason, that only Lapo can answer, we didn't do that and were only moderately successful on offense today. I believe we could have done better if we had run the ball more.

Our D was horrible today. No sustained pressure on Glenn, poor play from our linebackers, and mass confusion in the secondary allowing Grant and Roosevelt to have banner games. 

Lapo and Hall either didn't prepare the team properly or the players failed to execute. Maybe a bit of both.

6 hours ago, J5V said:

Our D was horrible today. No sustained pressure on Glenn, poor play from our linebackers, and mass confusion in the secondary allowing Grant and Roosevelt to have banner games. 

Lapo and Hall either didn't prepare the team properly or the players failed to execute. Maybe a bit of both.

When simple draw plays are turning into 50 yard gains - it looks like execution more than scheme. 

As much as I like Nichols I've noticed he's had a lot of trouble in recent games when teams are only rushing three and dropping back 9. Saskatechewan exploited that yesterday and he looked very average. I'm hoping we'll be able to make the proper adjustments on offense next week because the three yard dump play on second and long won't cut it. 

Even though our receivers were inadequate this game, I am still trying to understand why , in critical moments, Nichols was throwing at Gainey who is both very good and having a career year. Rider linebackers are questionable and yet we didn't test them very often.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

Even though our receivers were inadequate this game, I am still trying to understand why , in critical moments, Nichols was throwing at Gainey who is both very good and having a career year. Rider linebackers are questionable and yet we didn't test them very often.

Other than the 25 targets to Harris and the 10 to Flanders....

You can't avoid throwing at a halfback. Get real.

No Thorpe and Johnson were questionable (and were questioned) roster decisions.    We miss a lot of physicality without those two.    Questionable game planning and not to let the players off the hook - poor execution and mistakes, by the players.   Falling behind big, in a rabid stadium.

From top to bottom  - this team, for whatever reasons......was simply not ready to get it done.   This cannot happen next weekend.

6 minutes ago, do or die said:

No Thorpe and Johnson were questionable (and were questioned) roster decisions.    We miss a lot of physicality without those two.    Questionable game planning and not to let the players off the hook - poor execution and mistakes, by the players.   Falling behind big, in a rabid stadium.

From top to bottom  - this team, for whatever reasons......was simply not ready to get it done.   This cannot happen next weekend.

I think the reason we stink so bad in these LDCs is because we take the mindset that, it's okay to lose, we'll get them next week in the Banjo Bowl. That's exactly the kind of thing I expected O'Shea to change about this club but after hearing his comments, I guess it's all okay!

18 minutes ago, J5V said:

I think the reason we stink so bad in these LDCs is because we take the mindset that, it's okay to lose, we'll get them next week in the Banjo Bowl. That's exactly the kind of thing I expected O'Shea to change about this club but after hearing his comments, I guess it's all okay!

Disagree.  Maybe the fan base has that mindset.  Just because O'Shea didn't go on suicide watch doesn't mean they quit.  They can't be devastated by a loss in a 18 game season.  They are back to work today.

18 minutes ago, J5V said:

Well.. Coach O'shea was the first coach to beat the Riders on Labour day since Dave Richie coaches this team so I don't think that was the case. 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sask rushed 3 and dropped 9 lots.  Needed to run more to churn 5-6-7 on most first downs and take some deep shots on some combo routes to isolate DB's.  Nichols had good time.  Lapo's gameplan sucked.

Theres no doubt about that. The offensive line were our stars for the game.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Poop has to draw in this week.  Sit Ogopogo.  Poop has to get in there.  Kevin Glenn folds every time in a game when he starts getting hit.  Just have to get some pressure and we weren't getting pressure.

Ironically we should have consistently played the same defensive set as the Roughies did. Drop nine. Rush three.

15 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Other than the 25 targets to Harris and the 10 to Flanders....

You can't avoid throwing at a halfback. Get real.

Where are you getting your stats from? Citation, please. Going at the linebackers doesn't stop at passes to them- it includes running plays as well. We did have a few good runs but overall, we let a potentially weak area of the Riders go.

46 minutes ago, tracker said:

Where are you getting your stats from? Citation, please. Going at the linebackers doesn't stop at passes to them- it includes running plays as well. We did have a few good runs but overall, we let a potentially weak area of the Riders go.

TSN showed the stats in broadcast on targets/touches and they are all over twitter if you look.  CFL stat sheet will be out Tuesday or Wednesday.

59 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Wouldn't Thorpe have been perfect for yesterday? Could have catch a ton of 5-7 yard passes and then fought for yards.

Absolutely.  If you're not going to challenge them deep (which they didn't) then put a guy like Thorpe in who has proven on multiple occasions he can get those tough short yards for you.  Sask was giving that away all game.  Thorpe needs to be in next game and take out Lankford.  He's basically useless as a receiver and aside from that one return in the Argo game he's been meh at best for kickoff returns.  Johnson needs to come back as well.  Not a coincidence our pressure up the middle has been lacking since he's been taken out.  Unless he's actually hurt of course.  If not bring him back and sit either Jeffcoat or Okpalaugo.   And is there a better option than Knox?  I saw someone (JBR?) float the idea of moving Loffler to WIL.  Won't happen but something needs to be done.  Hello NFL cuts?

3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Poop has to draw in this week.  Sit Ogopogo.  Poop has to get in there.  Kevin Glenn folds every time in a game when he starts getting hit.  Just have to get some pressure and we weren't getting pressure.

Yup, or If Walker isn't ready, bench any two of Santos-Knox, Carmichael and Lankford for Poop and Thorpe. 

If Jesse Briggs and Derek Jones are ahead of someone on the depth chart, we probably shouldn't be wasting DI spots on them.