What to do about the D?

White Out

I'm very interested to see Kyrie Wilson on the middle,  if  O'Shea / Hall will give him a chance.  I think he is a ntural MLB, since he played primarily MLB in his college days. 

Hope this is a start of good changes in our D. that will make their (D) own turn around. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

I agree - I absolutely hate how we deploy our ratio, mainly with Lankford and Okpalaugo, but it's prevalent throughout the roster. What really baffled me last week was when Knox went down and Santos-Knox stayed on the sidelines while Briggs went down. If a guy isn't good enough to replace a player instead of Jesse Briggs, what's he doing on the roster? And moreso, what's he doing starting this week?

Now, I don't look at it that way, I think Santos-Knox is going to prove very capable but what's the logic by the staff on that one?

To me, our DI in a perfect world would be Medlock, Poop, Fogg, Flanders and a LB - Thorpe wouldn't need to DI because he'd be starting as Lankford would be out entirely. 5 obviously because Jake Thomas starts on their chart, giving us 8. 

I'm really hoping we can close a deal with Mulumba, that should get Okpalaugo off the roster for good.

Yeah I didn't understand that in the last game either. We waste our DI spots repeatedly.  Even the 7 o-lineman ...sure it's a nice luxury, but really how often over a season does it need to be taken advantage of? I would bet Couture hasn't had to wash his uniform yet this year...no knock on him as he doesn't dictate how he gets used, but in a pinch and 2 lineman go down Thomas could step in..I bet Ekakite could too...and would love to see Poop give it a whirl in a pinch..

Use that 7th oline spot on say Drew W...Get him some reps...he can return too seeing as they park Coates' arse back there with Lankford.  Or get Conteh on roster...a guy who can kill it on teams, and take reps on defence.  

It drives me nuts how we dress guys game in and game out with no intention of them ever hitting the field...I felt bad for the times Addison Richards would dress, and do absolutely nothing ...whats the point. 

I like Oshea as a coach and what he brings, but his roster management is weak

Edited by Booch

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

I agree - I absolutely hate how we deploy our ratio, mainly with Lankford and Okpalaugo, but it's prevalent throughout the roster. What really baffled me last week was when Knox went down and Santos-Knox stayed on the sidelines while Briggs went down. If a guy isn't good enough to replace a player instead of Jesse Briggs, what's he doing on the roster? And moreso, what's he doing starting this week?

Now, I don't look at it that way, I think Santos-Knox is going to prove very capable but what's the logic by the staff on that one?

To me, our DI in a perfect world would be Medlock, Poop, Fogg, Flanders and a LB - Thorpe wouldn't need to DI because he'd be starting as Lankford would be out entirely. 5 obviously because Jake Thomas starts on their chart, giving us 8. 

I'm really hoping we can close a deal with Mulumba, that should get Okpalaugo off the roster for good.

O'Shea has proven to be a good coach in essentially every capacity except roster management and I'm starting to worry that this will never improve. Lankford's early season TD bought him the entire season and kickoff man. Thorpe and Johnson deserve better than to be sat in favour of mediocre vets. 

I have to agree... this roster management is getting really frustrating... the only two offensive weapons that looked dangerous lat week were Flanders and Harris... so why not get another guy like that (Thorpe) in the line-up...

And our pass rush has been almost non-existent that last two weeks... Poop hasn't played... coincidence?

Sure hope Walker and Johnson are starting...  Fogg and Okpo don't deserve full-time reps right now

Lankford still confusing... turning into this year's Macho Harris I guess... 

Really hoping Wilson at least gets some rotational reps at MLB - but not holding my breath

Better see Dressler back returning instead of Coates - that was just nuts.

22 Cdns on this depth chart - hope they come to their senses and sit Couture or Ekakitie

Just now, bearpants said:

haha, I'm surprised no one has jumped on this yet... technically he should be considered this year's EJ Kuale... since Macho only played 4 or 5 games last year...

A bit disturbing that we're still not starting any receiver that Walters and crew has scouted and developed...  not a huge deal but starting to wonder about our scouting group

TJ Thorpe looks like that guy - but I had high hopes for Washington too...

42 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah I didn't understand that in the last game either. We waste our DI spots repeatedly.  Even the 7 o-lineman ...sure it's a nice luxury, but really how often over a season does it need to be taken advantage of? I would bet Couture hasn't had to wash his uniform yet this year...no knock on him as he doesn't dictate how he gets used, but in a pinch and 2 lineman go down Thomas could step in..I bet Ekakite could too...and would love to see Poop give it a whirl in a pinch..

Use that 7th oline spot on say Drew W...Get him some reps...he can return too seeing as they park Coates' arse back there with Lankford.  Or get Conteh on roster...a guy who can kill it on teams, and take reps on defence.  

It drives me nuts how we dress guys game in and game out with no intention of them ever hitting the field...I felt bad for the times Addison Richards would dress, and do absolutely nothing ...whats the point. 

I like Oshea as a coach and what he brings, but his roster management is weak

Couture actually plays quite a bit, they run a fair amount of tight end sets with him.  I honestly think if they went 6 OL on the roster for games Neufeld wouldn't dress, he really only comes in for jumbo sets.

IMO this roster is a little heavy on guys that can't or aren't given the opportunity to contribute outside of special teams.  Five by my count, six if you include Lankford, seven with the backup imp LB that hasn't really factored in yet.  That's a lot.

I think you might be overestimating Conteh a bit though.  Project IMO.  He's always kind of a been a "once he figures out football" kinda kid who is a great athlete but not necessarily a football player.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I agree with everything in this post. O'Sheas reluctance to make changes until his back is against the wall is his biggest flaw. 

Him finally willing to make adjustments when his job was in jeopardy last year was a big part of our turnaround. 

3 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

I agree with everything in this post. O'Sheas reluctance to make changes until his back is against the wall is his biggest flaw. 

Him finally willing to make adjustments when his job was in jeopardy last year was a big part of our turnaround. 

I think if oshea has one flaw... Its he trusts lapo and hall 2 much. Poop is probably a Hall decision... Lankford over Thorpe is probably more Lapo. 

Pretty much any big bodied guy could fill that role...not even a lineman type..Any of the national linebackers...Normand....Jeffcoat...it's just a waste and poor allocation of assets

Same with Johnson out..as Mike said...nary a sack and minimal pressure...With a combination of Him..Nevis one of him, Nevis or an end is gonna come free or get pressure...

And why do you think Jake Thomas has virtually went MIA?....There is a reason for it...why the coaches don't see it is baffling

And if it is a salary thing..well Opo has had a 3rd of his off the books from being on 6 game..so not like he is a really expensive guy on the 46 man not dressing 

Edited by Booch

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

haha, I'm surprised no one has jumped on this yet... technically he should be considered this year's EJ Kuale... since Macho only played 4 or 5 games last year...

Lankford hasn't attained the daily double of global shittienous of being an ineffectual player while simultaneously racking up multiple bone-headed roughing penalties like EJ.

Lankford stinks, but Kuale was gold standard ass.

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

I have to agree... this roster management is getting really frustrating... the only two offensive weapons that looked dangerous lat week were Flanders and Harris... so why not get another guy like that (Thorpe) in the line-up...

And our pass rush has been almost non-existent that last two weeks... Poop hasn't played... coincidence?

I think we're unanimous then, re: roster management. We're all bewildered.

7 hours ago, Booch said:

The fact that Walker, Fogg, Flanders can all return kicks, and we keep Lankford on who save for one return and one reception gives us diddly just irritates the hell out of me.

We could use his spot for Poop Johnson preferably, or for Thorpe who over course of game gives us way more value on offence, and possibly the big play threat on returns.

Same with 4 defensive ends...3 is sufficient and a rotation of Westerman and  either Jeffcoat/ OPO  with Corney and  Nevis and Johnson taking majority of inside reps spelled off by Thomas  gives us a way better line-up.  These guys would all get enough reps and rest to be really into the game...we could use the Ekakitie spot on say a Conteh/banning or throw Drew W in there

Also  for what the value we get with the other import LB we DI , why not use that on a Thorpe, or a Poop,  or still allow us to roster Lankford if they feel he is so vital? Yeah sure people can clammer about how he the top returner...but that is yardage wise and mainly because we have returned more kicks than anyone...so a somewhat skewwed stat.

If anything I think roster management hinders us more than anything and how we allocate our ratio...

Who are we to challenge the decisions of our beloved leaders? It's like we we too dumb to know enough to to criticize their choices of Willy, Peach, Kuale etc.