What to do about the D?

White Out

10 minutes ago, tracker said:

Does anyone else here detect a whiff of bovine excrement when O'Shea and Hall talk about Hurl being used primarily to engage an opposing O-lineman as opposed to a "traditional" linebacking role? I cannot see how a 218 lb linebacker is expected to consistently stop or even slow down a 300lb O-lineman who will have 2-3 yards to pick up speed.   It seems to me that they are stuck with him in that position due to having no better options and they have sort of adapted the role to try to minimize his liabilities- in other words, he is expected to serve as a speed-bump with the number 10 on it.

Oshea played the exact same role when he was an MLB.. you saying Oshea was just used as a speed bump and fit in, just because? Hes expected to occupy a blocker, making room for others to make plays.. He also runs the defense and sets up the game plan. 

just because you don't "see" it or it doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean its not the way things are.   Oshea has said this countless times already.

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

it's not a point of disputing this...it's the determination that Hurl isn't capable of filling this role

this I will agree with and O'shea and Hall both seem to sidestep the question about his ability to fulfill the job fully.  They talk at length of his leadership and his ability to play the role without complaint.. they did mention he grades out "well" in the spot as well but never really delved into it deeper.   maybe someone can give a call to the coaches show or the post game if coach is on the air and dig out a bit more elaborating from him about Hurl and his play...

3 hours ago, SPuDS said:

maybe someone can give a call to the coaches show or the post game if coach is on the air and dig out a bit more elaborating from him about Hurl and his play...

So far, O'Shea hasn't publicly criticised any players that I can recall. whole team maybe, but not one player.

Probably the team will remain at status quo unless they drop the next few games, and even then, based on the past two years OShea and Walters have been very reluctant to change the starting lineup with the current roster, and even less likely to bring other players in. If this were the Riders, the Lions, the Stamps, or for that matter, the Cal Murphy era Bombers, we would already be seeing a steady stream of potential talent arriving in the Peg to try and improve things for a playoff run, but that's not really how this Bomber organization rolls. It has been harder for Walters and OShea to make those kind of decisions, and this team tends to stick with what they set out from training camp.

That said, lets say hypothetically they drop the next few games... If it starts to look like they might miss the playoffs, I think it wouldn't hurt to bring in someone like Mulumba and experiment a little. I realize this will not be a popular statement, but something else to consider would be to replace one of the starting import OLineman with one of the current Canadian OLinemen, and then bring in an import middle LB that is better than Hurl. In particular, although he's a fan favorite, I think you could replace Hardrick with a guy like Coture and the drop off would not be as severe as some think. We already know that the drop off between Hurl and a real Middle Linebacker is severe, so perhaps they would come out ahead. If you did this, in the case of an injury, you could always revert back to the current roster configuration next game without too much trouble.

15 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I think Otha Foster and Alex Bazzie are about the only former CFL linebackers that might be available? Either would be a huge addition for us.

Foster was a SAM linebacker and Bazzie was a DE. Neither one fits a major need for us. I'd rather allocate that money to a DB, WIL, MLB or receiver.

34 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Apparently, Wild's cast on hand is off and is day-to-day. I'm guessing he will come off the 6-gamer this week.

From talking to people with connections to the Bombers (friend of a friend thing) which I understand is second hand info, but it sounds like Wild is done for the better part of the remaining schedule, if not the rest of the year entirely. May be bullshit, but I don't expect to see him again this season.

• Most patients have their cast taken off within six to eight weeks.
  • If recommended by the doctor, patients will start physiotherapy within a few days or weeks after surgery, or right after the last cast is taken off.
  • Most patients will be able to resume light activities such as swimming or working out the lower body within a month or two after the cast is taken off, or after surgery.
  • Most patients can resume vigorous physical activities, such as skiing or football, between three and six months after cast removed

Edited by Goalie

15 hours ago, James said:

I dont think Ive read or seen anywhere that Mulumba has played any sort of CFL style Linebacker and have only seen him do things in college and the NFL that a typical CFL rush end does. Hes a rush OLBer DE tweener in the nfl, which always translates to a DE up here. 

you are correct about this... however, read the post by @Booch on page 4 of this thread and he explains how it might work...