Stamps @ Bombers: Game Day Thread

Noeller

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I'm talking about experience...  Frederick was judged to be good enough last year that we cut Johnny Adams - then he can't even make the first round of cuts this year

Lots of talk about continuity but then they can't stop fiddling around with the roster...  like bringing in a ton of DBs every year but never being able to recruit an LB or REC

I wonder if this is possibly a salary cap issue.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

Terrence Frederick so good he can't catch on with Hamilton or Saskatchewan who are both fielding worse secondaries than the Bombers

Straw dog if I ever saw one...  the 'he can't get a job anywhere else' argument died back in the Jerome Messam debate...

Besides, he was good enough to steal Johnny Adams job last year...  I thought he played pretty well.

Just saying, this 'flavour of the month' DB thing is getting old. 

Despite what some are complaining about, our defence actually had a fairly good game. We're talking about BLM and his high flying offence. The guy has only lost 7 games in his career and this game he was held to 22 points offensively. 10 of those were on turnovers. 

No, it was turnovers and a below average performance from our QB that led to this loss.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Straw dog if I ever saw one...  the 'he can't get a job anywhere else' argument died back in the Jerome Messam debate...

Besides, he was good enough to steal Johnny Adams job last year...  I thought he played pretty well.

Just saying, this 'flavour of the month' DB thing is getting old. 

Jerome Messam was never unemployed.

Johnny Adams got lit up week 1.

Carmichael wouldn't even be playing if Bruce Johnson hadn't got injured and Brandon Alexander has been fine.  Not sure where you're getting this "flavour of the month" thing.  I guess you thought we had the best secondary in the league last year and shouldn't have changed anything.  I just don't agree.

17 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Jerome Messam was never unemployed.

Johnny Adams got lit up week 1.

Carmichael wouldn't even be playing if Bruce Johnson hadn't got injured and Brandon Alexander has been fine.  Not sure where you're getting this "flavour of the month" thing.  I guess you thought we had the best secondary in the league last year and shouldn't have changed anything.  I just don't agree.

Wrongo, before Sask. picked him up Messam was hanging on the line for months like forgotten laundry, free for the taking.

I don't think you can pin this JUST on the offence, but yeah, I'm not going to go to bat for Nichols on that game. The endzone interception and pick 6 were massive game changing plays, and were unforced errors. Bad judegment, bad decisions. Willy-esque, if you will.

But let's not forgive the D too much. Who here didn't recognize the D had given up in the late 3rd when the Stamps started moving the ball at will, with our D looking gassed. Just after the half time break and our D look exhausted. How out of shape do you have to be as a pro to be gassed that early? We aren't talking middle or late 4th and getting pounded on.. this is middle of the 3rd and our D looked like they were surrendering. And they did.

My take aways:

• Nichols had a dreadful game
  • Our O line was very poor
  • Our D looked totally uninterested in the 2nd half
  • Coaching continues to be abysmal 
Edited by White Out

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Come on @Floyd.... you may be the best there is and the best there was.... but I question whether you are the best there ever will be

I'm just still traumatized by the months long debate we had about whether it was worth it to sign Messam or not... 'because he didn't play special teams'...  its was a forum 'ugh' moment.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Because this team overvalues the underdog.

Some teams have great management, coaches, and players. Some teams have good management, coaches, and players. Some teams have poor management, coaches, and players. Which one are we?

Nichols had good numbers and his completion percentage was higher than BLM.. But Nichols made 2 critical mistakes... 1 took points away and 1 was a pick 6 backbreaker. 

People can talk about the D in the 2nd half but... We scored zero second half points. 

34 minutes ago, J5V said:

Some teams have great management, coaches, and players. Some teams have good management, coaches, and players. Some teams have poor management, coaches, and players. Which one are we?

'Decent'.

7 hours ago, tracker said:

For me, the highlight of the game was the Bombers stuffing the Stamps at the goal line FOUR times, and the game absolutely pivoted when LeFevor failed to make the one-yard plunge for the first down. All the Bomber heads were down coming off the field following that play.

I believe it was less than a yard, and he didn't make it because he left his feet so he had no traction.

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

No it was a couple weeks while he considered multiple offers

Messam was traded for a 6th round pick to the Als - where he was a backup... then he sat for a month after being cut - through all of TC - before being signed.

You think of his 'multiple offers', he chose Sask so he could share starting duties with Anthony Allen... sure.

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Here's a question. In the first half, we're second and short and we throw a deep ball to JFG? Why are you targeting him deep?

It wasn't a bad call, if you don't make it your 3rd and short and you go for it,  so 2nd and short opens up the playbook.  Problem with the play was Nichols overthrew him about 15 yards, which he (Nichols) did a few times with other receivers.  IIRC JFG had a pretty clutch grab deep last year, albeit in the middle of the field, but I think he's shown he can run routes and catch. Speed might be questionable, but we'll never know how that play turns out if Nichols puts it on the money.

Didn't want to start a thread on this, and it occurred during this game,  but did anyone else have confusion in their section as to which way to look for the national anthem?  They say look at the flag in the south, as well as had all the cheerleaders pointed south, but when I looked over there there was 1 small (reg sized) canadian flag a few poles over from where they raise the 13th man flag.   They rolled out a giant canada flag in the north end zone tho, wouldn't it make sense to roll that out in the south if that where you got everyone looking?

On 2017-07-08 at 5:55 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

It wasn't a bad call, if you don't make it your 3rd and short and you go for it,  so 2nd and short opens up the playbook.  Problem with the play was Nichols overthrew him about 15 yards, which he (Nichols) did a few times with other receivers.  IIRC JFG had a pretty clutch grab deep last year, albeit in the middle of the field, but I think he's shown he can run routes and catch. Speed might be questionable, but we'll never know how that play turns out if Nichols puts it on the money.

Likely an INT if it's "on the money."  That was a throw away because JFG was the only receiver in the route off the flea flicker misdirection and he was covered.  That time the misdirection didn't work.