Stamps @ Bombers: Game Day Thread

Noeller

Just now, Eternal optimist said:

Agreed, I know last night when Lankford fumbled that return the general atmosphere at IGF was "here we go, again...". The silver lining I guess is that considering we served up 5 turnovers, we managed to hold one of the best offenses in the league to under 30 points. It's too bad the offense couldn't muster up more positive plays.

For me, the highlight of the game was the Bombers stuffing the Stamps at the goal line FOUR times, and the game absolutely pivoted when LeFevor failed to make the one-yard plunge for the first down. All the Bomber heads were down coming off the field following that play.

3 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Agreed, I know last night when Lankford fumbled that return the general atmosphere at IGF was "here we go, again...". The silver lining I guess is that considering we served up 5 turnovers, we managed to hold one of the best offenses in the league to under 30 points. It's too bad the offense couldn't muster up more positive plays.

Lankford has no vision on returns at all. He has mastered running in several different directions and going nowhere. In my opinion he doesn't line up his blocks well and made a few poor decisions too. You could predict the fumble coming.

Frustrating part is that we knew Macho Harris and Kuale were not starting material... just like we know Lankford and Hurl are not starters.  But we'll have to sit through 3/4 of a season while they get chance after chance because there is no backup plan.

Just now, Captain Blue said:

Lankford has no vision on returns at all. He has mastered running in several different directions and going nowhere. In my opinion he doesn't line up his blocks well and made a few poor decisions too. You could predict the fumble coming.

Lankford seems unable to read his blocking at all. He is very fast in a straight line, and if the opposition would get out of his way, he would score a lot.

5 minutes ago, tracker said:

For me, the highlight of the game was the Bombers stuffing the Stamps at the goal line FOUR times, and the game absolutely pivoted when LeFevor failed to make the one-yard plunge for the first down. All the Bomber heads were down coming off the field following that play.

100% agree. Lefevour just went to the well too often with that plunge off the left tackle. After all, this is pro football. When your short yardage play each and every time is to step left and go off tackle and you do it twice vs Sask and then try to do it for the second time in the same half vs Stamps you gotta think the opposing D would defend against it - and they did. Maybe try to pix it up once in awhile. Sheesh. Makes the Head Coach look stupid.

Edited by Doublezero

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

They actually stuffed them five times.

2 minutes ago, Captain Blue said:

Agreed - also I know he's a rookie but he should know better than to carry the ball with his inside hand. Typical young returner that doesn't yet realize that sometimes you just gotta duck and dive for five yards - tries to take it outside too much. On that same return he fumbled I was worried he was going to get tackled inside our own 10.

6 minutes ago, do or die said:

Overall, Lankford does not seem to play under any kind of control on the returns.....should be replaced.

it was a nice missed FG return until he decided to move back into the field, if he's going to go back into traffic he needs to secure the ball better. I think we also got lucky on that dressler fumble that went out of bounds earlier in the game

The loss? Pretty disappointing in the fact that we didn't play better for the crowd. 

Otherwise, the fact remains we stood up to Calgary for a good portion of he game despite handing them 16 points. You just can't do that against any team, never mind the Stamps. 

They are a championship caliber team. We are not..yet.

They held the stamps to 9 points in the first half and came up with 10 of their own. That was huge..considering the turnovers.

But despite that, Calgary adjusted and we didn't adjust to their adjustments. Couple that with more turnovers, and you're not going to beat them. We had to play a fairly clean game. We didn't.

Penalties weren't a factor unless you count that iffy call of PI that Dickenson threw a challenge flag on, after an incomplete pass…on the other side of the field…away from the play. Those calls have got to go.

This was part of a sequence that led to 3 points for the Stamps, followed by a sack on Nichols, on the next series of downs.

Again the Bombers stopped the Stamps, but the backbreaker, and end of game for us, came on Nichols pic 6.

That was it for the Blue.

Momentum gone and Calgary took over.

Aside from a couple of players, Carmichael and Lankford, I believe we have a decent team. We should be able to muster 10 wins for a playoff spot. We will get better.

1 hour ago, Doublezero said:

Nichols threw quite a few picks at the tail end of last year and now 3 in 2 games

I think that was his shortcoming when he played for Edmonton. Then, after coming here, he appeared to have gotten past this problem.

Now it's back.

Just watched the pick for a touchdown by M. Harris. Horrible play by Nichols, basically threw it right to M. Harris.

crap.

19 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The loss? Pretty disappointing in the fact that we didn't play better for the crowd. 

Otherwise, the fact remains we stood up to Calgary for a good portion of he game despite handing them 16 points. You just can't do that against any team, never mind the Stamps. 

They held the stamps to 9 points in the first half and came up with 10 of their own. That was huge..considering the turnovers.

But despite that, Calgary adjusted and we didn't adjust to their adjustments. Couple that with more turnovers, and you're not going to beat them. We had to play a fairly clean game. We didn't.

Penalties weren't a factor unless you count that iffy call of PI that Dickenson threw a challenge flag on, after an incomplete pass…on the other side of the field…away from the play. Those calls have got to go.

This was part of a sequence that led to 3 points for the Stamps, followed by a sack on Nichols, on the next series of downs.

Again the Bombers stopped the Stamps, but the backbreaker, and end of game for us, came on Nichols pic 6.

Aside from a couple of players, Carmichael and Lankford, I believe we have a decent team. We should be able to muster 10 wins for a playoff spot. We will get better.

What about that offside penalty Carmichael took? If he had remained disciplined the Blue would've stopped the Stamps on 3rd and 1 and the place would've gone bonkers. Instead they managed to get 6 off the penalty.

6 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

What about that offside penalty Carmichael took? If he had remained disciplined the Blue would've stopped the Stamps on 3rd and 1 and the place would've gone bonkers. Instead they managed to get 6 off the penalty.

Carmichael has to sit next game...  Osh has never been able to show there are consequences for lapses like that - i.e. Kuale - let him work his way back into the game through special teams.

Unless there was an injury or something, cutting Frederick is looking like a short-sighted move.

Just now, Mr Dee said:

Its looking more and more like its not all on the players, though a few of them really stank last night. Almost everyone in the media and many in this forum have pointed the finger at the lack of adaptation in the second half.  The same thing happened against the Riders last game but they were inept enough that we got away with it...barely.

Just now, Floyd said:

Carmichael has to sit next game...  Osh has never been able to show there are consequences for lapses like that - i.e. Kuale - let him work his way back into the game through special teams.

Unless there was an injury or something, cutting Frederick is looking like a short-sighted move.

I can't recall in recent memory a single defensive back getting lit up as much as Carmichael did over the last two games. I know there's a learning curve in adapting to the CFL game, but I think it says something when two different teams/QBs/offensive schemes find the same weak link night in and night out.

I don't care how well Carmichael shows in practice. He isn't getting it done. It's his recognition, or more precisely, his lack of recognition. Teams don't have to pick on him all the time, they can just wait and chose their spots..usually for a massive gain, if not a TD.

I think it was Ed Tait who pointed out that Calgary has  a veteran secondary with 251 combined CFL starts. The Bombers, by comparison, have 99; (69 by Chris Randle)

It showed..

17 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Frederick played CB. Our Corners are fine. Even Heath is fine at HB. Paging Johnson or Fogg. 

7 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I can't recall in recent memory a single defensive back getting lit up as much as Carmichael did over the last two games. I know there's a learning curve in adapting to the CFL game, but I think it says something when two different teams/QBs/offensive schemes find the same weak link night in and night out.

Desia Dunn...  Deon Beasley...  

Fogg got lit up his first few games

Just now, Goalie said:

Frederick played CB. Our Corners are fine. Even Heath is fine at HB. Paging Johnson or Fogg. 

I'm talking about experience...  Frederick was judged to be good enough last year that we cut Johnny Adams - then he can't even make the first round of cuts this year

Lots of talk about continuity but then they can't stop fiddling around with the roster...  like bringing in a ton of DBs every year but never being able to recruit an LB or REC