67 members have voted

1. 1. Who was our worst coach?

• Mike kelly
    • Tim Burke
    • Jeff Reinbold
    • Jim Daley
    • Doug Berry

3 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Not clear what your obtuse little jab is supposed to mean, but ok, sure, I guess

Hey FanWest, sorry, I wasn't jabbing you. I meant maybe Mike made a freudian slip.

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

Hey FanWest, sorry, I wasn't jabbing you. I meant maybe Mike made a freudian slip.

No.  Not that either.

Freudian slip - an unintentional error regarded as revealing subconscious feelings.

7 hours ago, J5V said:

He's still got a ways to go. During the postgame he was saying we need to find a way to stop the other team's momentum, "myself included. Right?" He sounded like he didn't have a clue there and was asking the media if that was right. Yikes.

This seems straight-forward and not the least bit confusing to me, but what that fairly common (although grammatically poor) phrasing means is that he includes himself as part of the team, rather than separating himself from it and placing blame solely on the players.  He isn't actually seeking affirmation from the media.  It is entirely rhetorical.

It seems to me like that would be a characteristic most people would prefer and endorse in a head coach.  Sharing responsibility.  Not poor grammar.

3 hours ago, do or die said:

Could not resist.....as the memories kept flooding back....and the gin kept flooding in.

Dishonorable mention:

Mike Kelly

Serious anger and maturity issues ******** whatever potential this guy ever or may of had.

The Fateful Five.....from bad to worse

5.  Joe Zaleski

As already pointed out above, he had the worst talent level of this group.  That said, one cannot overlook the outstandingly bad records he compiled.

4.  Jeff Reinebold

Great personality, but way over his head in the deep end, without water wings.   I give a certain amount of blame to the Bomber BOD, who hired this guy as a marketing ploy even though Dr. Jeff had a serious lack of credentials, to actually do the job.   Style over substance.  Optics over wins...

3.  Jim Daley

Nice guy.  Useless Head Coach.   Couldn't make adjustments to save his life.  Spent pre-game interviews musing abut how awesome the opposing team was.....and spent post-game interviews making excuses about why we couldn't do anything about anything at all.  Players (to say nothing about the fans) openly commented about the lack of structure and schemes, on multiple occasions.

2.  Darryl Rogers

Not a nice guy.  Useless Head Coach.   Couldn't make adjustments to save his life.   No clue about a CFL roster, Canadian ratio, or just about anything else related to the Canadian Football League.....and just didn't seem to care.   Drove the Detroit Lions into the ground, before accomplishing the same, thing here.   Still managed to maintain a stridently arrogant "Mr. NFL" persona, towards media and fans.  An International loser.

1. Tim Burke

Peter Principle, over his head, out of his depth......call it what you will - Burke's tenure was an utter and abject disaster on multiple levels.  From his in-game blunders, to his constant excusemeistering, to throwing players under the bus, to his disheartening, uninspiring and sad-sac persona, and to finally asserting, after the fact.... that he "didn't want the job, in the first place"!!!   Biggest mistake was actually letting him finish out his last season.   Burke was a simply a lame duck from the get-go.

I'm going to endorse this list, although Zalesky was before my time.  Everything else is how I remember it.

The biggest wildcard in all of this is Kelly.  Make no mistake, I have nothing but contempt for him and will shout down anyone who seriously suggests it wasn't as bad as it actually was.  However, strictly as a coach (and not a human being) he was slightly less than middling at best/worst.

He might have pulled together a winning season if he had kept his ego in his pants and made sensible decisions with personnel rather than thinking his genius could compensate for replacing existing players with less talented players.

His biggest crimes were dragging the Bomber brand into the mud before crapping all over it, and treating good people like garbage and proudly braying about it.  What a colossal tool.  I was having a perfectly happy Tuesday until I thought of that jerk.  Thanks Obama!  Strictly as a coach, however, the few things he did that were barely semi-competent are enough to float his average up to hover just above the rest of his scum-sucking existence here.

The reason I don't think Jim Daley is all that bad or near the worst is because he was able to go 5-6 in 2004. The biggest issue in 2005 was our defense. And coincidentally our DC Rod Rust abruptly left just prior to the reg season starting. It had a ripple effect that was too much to overcome.  I don't think he would have been a HOF HC by any means but I don't think he was really given a fair shake, and has never had an opportunity since so it's hard to really say.

The problem with a question like this is there are too many variables. Talent on the team, GM in office, Coordinators working under you, length of time as HC.  Other than record there isn't much you can compare them to when there's so much that differs

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

The reason I don't think Jim Daley is all that bad or near the worst is because he was able to go 5-6 in 2004. The biggest issue in 2005 was our defense. And coincidentally our DC Rod Rust abruptly left just prior to the reg season starting. It had a ripple effect that was too much to overcome.  I don't think he would have been a HOF HC by any means but I don't think he was really given a fair shake, and has never had an opportunity since so it's hard to really say.

The problem with a question like this is there are too many variables. Talent on the team, GM in office, Coordinators working under you, length of time as HC.  Other than record there isn't much you can compare them to when there's so much that differs

Daley also had 3 years as head coach in Saskatchewan prior to his stint with the Bombers.   And although he squeaked in a Grey Cup appearance in a year he went 8 - 10, his overall head coaching record is 28 - 52 with a .350 winning percentage.

Just now, Rich said:

Daley also had 3 years as head coach in Saskatchewan prior to his stint with the Bombers.   And although he squeaked in a Grey Cup appearance in a year he went 8 - 10, his overall head coaching record is 28 - 52 with a .350 winning percentage.

ok I was unaware of that,  that is a pretty bad record.  But again,  how good were those rider teams?  I'd be curious to see if Daley had the same success as Berry if he continued coaching the teams Berry got

My vote is for Burke, with Daley being a close second.

Mike was not as bad a guy as people make him out here. He really wanted to win badly for the Bombers and their fans, but the whole organization was still a mess at that time and he really didn't have a chance to succeed.

Remember that Mike Kelley was the offensive coordinator during the Dunigan years, particularly that memorable 713 yard passing game. If the fans could have waited a little longer Mike and the players that John Murphy brought in would have turned the corner. Many of those players from 2009 are still stars in the league. 

Yes, he didn't handle the situation in Winnipeg well, but everyone makes mistakes, and no one on this board really has any idea what it would be like in his shoes at that time. Mike still cares about the Bombers. In fact, if you check his twitter account you'll see he still talks about the team all the time. Like many of the fans here, he bleeds Blue and Gold, and always will!

On 7/5/2017 at 1:14 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

ok I was unaware of that,  that is a pretty bad record.  But again,  how good were those rider teams?  I'd be curious to see if Daley had the same success as Berry if he continued coaching the teams Berry got

A loser coach is a loser coach.  Daley has plenty of experience to give us the data to say he's a loser CFL head coach.

On 2017-07-05 at 1:03 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

Rust left the team during the season .. sometime around August if I recall correctly.

11 hours ago, TheSource said:

My vote is for Burke, with Daley being a close second.

Mike was not as bad a guy as people make him out here. He really wanted to win badly for the Bombers and their fans, but the whole organization was still a mess at that time and he really didn't have a chance to succeed.

Remember that Mike Kelley was the offensive coordinator during the Dunigan years, particularly that memorable 713 yard passing game. If the fans could have waited a little longer Mike and the players that John Murphy brought in would have turned the corner. Many of those players from 2009 are still stars in the league. 

Yes, he didn't handle the situation in Winnipeg well, but everyone makes mistakes, and no one on this board really has any idea what it would be like in his shoes at that time. Mike still cares about the Bombers. In fact, if you check his twitter account you'll see he still talks about the team all the time. Like many of the fans here, he bleeds Blue and Gold, and always will!

I don't think Kelly was the worst coach but he was a horrible GM.  I think he traded away something like 8 draft picks in his short stint here.  Also his public battles with the media and his anger management issues just embarrassed the Bombers completely.  Did real damage to the Bomber brand, IMO.  They had no choice but to dump him.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎04 at 5:56 PM, mbrg said:

I'm going to endorse this list, although Zalesky was before my time.  Everything else is how I remember it.

The biggest wildcard in all of this is Kelly.  Make no mistake, I have nothing but contempt for him and will shout down anyone who seriously suggests it wasn't as bad as it actually was.  However, strictly as a coach (and not a human being) he was slightly less than middling at best/worst.

He might have pulled together a winning season if he had kept his ego in his pants and made sensible decisions with personnel rather than thinking his genius could compensate for replacing existing players with less talented players.

His biggest crimes were dragging the Bomber brand into the mud before crapping all over it, and treating good people like garbage and proudly braying about it.  What a colossal tool.  I was having a perfectly happy Tuesday until I thought of that jerk.  Thanks Obama!  Strictly as a coach, however, the few things he did that were barely semi-competent are enough to float his average up to hover just above the rest of his scum-sucking existence here.

I completely agree. Kelly's biggest failings were as an ego driven GM, who was given waaaay too much power, too soon and wore too many hats. If he had started as a HC first and worked his way up to GM etc. he may have had a better chance of success. You just don't make a guy like that the face of the franchise and give him unchecked power over the organization. Saskatchewan are you listening? Apparently not....because Jones, and the Riders, are walking the almost idenitical path to Mike Kelly and Bombers circa 2009. I know how that movie ends and this time I kinda like it.

For what it's worth, I've been a season ticket holder for almost 50 years.

IMHO the worst coach we had was Darryl Rogers.   He had no clue about the Canadian game.  No concept of how to manage a game or the ratio, and he didn't care to learn.  Took a good team and made them awful.

Dis-honourable mention to Tim Burke.  Kneeling while losing, at the half and at the end of a game.   I nearly lost it when he did it at the end of the game.  Complete surrender.  It still pisses me off.

5 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

For what it's worth, I've been a season ticket holder for almost 50 years.

IMHO the worst coach we had was Darryl Rogers.   He had no clue about the Canadian game.  No concept of how to manage a game or the ratio, and he didn't care to learn.  Took a good team and made them awful.

Dis-honourable mention to Tim Burke.  Kneeling while losing, at the half and at the end of a game.   I nearly lost it when he did it at the end of the game.  Complete surrender.  It still pisses me off.

The thing about Rogers is that it was a huge letdown after 1990 but he still went 9-9 and won a playoff game.

16 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

Oh yeah, that alone pushes him to the top of the list. Now I'm angry again.

I shake my fist at you, once again, Tim Burke!

Tim Burke inspirational speech before losing 52-0 to Hamilton in pre-season:

The ever candid Burke said, “We could get blasted in this game and I hope our fans don’t put too much stock into the final score.  Our intent is to evaluate the newcomers and make sure the vets are healthy when there are points at stake in the standings.”