Bombers vs Riders GDT

Nolby

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Two games in and Carter hasn't contributed much, he'd better step it up as this is pretty much his last chance to do so in the CFL.

If you count him standing on the bench and waving a towel,  or having his goofy mug on the jumbotron, he contributed a lot Saturday.

Not sure if I posted this previously but if I did disregard as I'm sure some of you will anyway. That was an entertaining game if you consider the lead swings, and miscues abound. What really irritated me was MOS decision making and particular taking a knew with 1 second remaining in the game! Why not throw it deep, three things could happen and two of them are in our favour; a completion, a pass interference call which provides us with another down and with Medlock around guess who wins in regulation; and then of course an interception. The chance of that being returned for a touchdown is slim to nil considering it would be a jump ball at best. It certainly appeared that MOS was playing for the tie and taking his chances in overtime. That in itself seemed weird as the defense had just given up a 14 point lead with 9:43 to play and the offense did nothing so not sure the chances were good based on that fact. However as inept as Sask was in overtime we were their equal save for guess who Mr. Medlock, who perhaps could have won the game in regulation (see above)

The players played hard; mr Carmichael got burned on at least 3 TDs better start looking over his shoulder. The defense, well I'm not a fan yet but maybe they need a game or two to get going. There was some pressure but Glenn escaped too many times for my liking and he is what 38 yrs old and how mobile?? Apparently enough to avoid our rush! The secondary closed on the ball well but in total they gave up what over 370 yards again and against a team many believe will be last in the west. If that is the case where will we be......second from last????? I certainly hope not.

I agree that MOS needs to rethink his strategy regarding punting out of our endzone. Should there be a 20mph wind at his back why not he could likely kick it 60 yards or more but without the field position is not good and to expect the current defense to hold, well I have a bridge for sale in Florida if you like.

Bottom line we won they lost. I'm not looking forward to next week with Calgary in town. That is a whole different dimension and if La Police and Hall not to mention MOS don't start getting their thoughts in order it could be a long night.....especially for those who think we will win the west!!! 

On 2017-07-02 at 0:15 AM, Mr Dee said:

Yeah, I remember distinctly that Rider fans were mocking us heartily for paying Justin Medlock big bucks...

Well now, who's crying now?

yuppers.. me thinks secretly it was bitter resentment that we signed him and they couldn't.   if we over-paid for the leagues best and most accurate kicker, I'll over pay that any day of the week.

On 2017-07-02 at 2:22 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

As happy as I am we won, I can't get that decision to punt out of our endzone out of my head vs taking a knee and giving up 2 (it lead to the drive where Bakari Grant scored).  Medlocks been doing well as a punter,  but giving up that field position was a mistake all day every day IMO.  

The score was a lot more flattering to the riders then it should have been

yea but when you down it in the endzone, they get it so close now that its often 2 + more points anyway.  might as well make the ST and offense work for the points, no?

On 2017-07-02 at 3:00 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

2 points isn't worth 15-20 yards with the other team still having the ball.  You're still likely to cost yourself more points.

exactly.  with the ball placement now, its not that hard to imagine that you give them 2 and then they move into FG range regardless.  I'd much rather kick it away and hope for a turnover or a stop and minimize the damage.

13 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

yuppers.. me thinks secretly it was bitter resentment that we signed him and they couldn't.   if we over-paid for the leagues best and most accurate kicker, I'll over pay that any day of the week.

How many times have you heard anything from Riders fans that was "well thought out" or "Objective" lol

2 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

yea but when you down it in the endzone, they get it so close now that its often 2 + more points anyway.  might as well make the ST and offense work for the points, no?

they would have to work a lot harder starting from their side of the field then from the bomber 43 where they started from on that punt pretty much guaranteeing 3+ points 

14 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I was definitely one of the ones that thought you paid way too much. The fact you had to renegotiate the contract before the end of the season only proved my point didn't it?  For any reasonable amount, no question Medlock is as good as anyone in the league and better than most.

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I was definitely one of the ones that thought you paid way too much. The fact you had to renegotiate the contract before the end of the season only proved my point didn't it?  For any reasonable amount, no question Medlock is as good as anyone in the league and better than most.

Probably the best kicker in the history of the league but yeah looks like we're under the salary cap and 1-0 so why does it matter to you?

Just now, Ripper said:

the fact remains that he is the best kicker in the league, bar none.  we plays for the bombers.  if we overpaid to bring him in, so be it.  Hes been money since and I have no reason to suspect that will change.   For what we paid, hes been worth it and more not to mention he does all 3 duties pretty well. 

and I believe it was more so being prudent on the re-negotiations more so then a "need"  I don't believe we would have been in cap hell.. I think Medlock just agreed to make other cap moves easier.

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I was definitely one of the ones that thought you paid way too much. The fact you had to renegotiate the contract before the end of the season only proved my point didn't it?  For any reasonable amount, no question Medlock is as good as anyone in the league and better than ALL.

Fixed it for ya, no need to thank me.

9 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

they would have to work a lot harder starting from their side of the field then from the bomber 43 where they started from on that punt pretty much guaranteeing 3+ points 

sure but we also saw Glenn move the ball pretty easily against us.  why assume we are going to stop them from getting... what, 2 first downs to get into fg range?  trust your players and your team in my opinion.   it didn't work out BUT it did only cost us 7 and not 10.  Could have been the difference at the end of the game if we chose to give up the 2 and then they come down and score anyway..

5 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

sure but we also saw Glenn move the ball pretty easily against us.  why assume we are going to stop them from getting... what, 2 first downs to get into fg range?  trust your players and your team in my opinion.   it didn't work out BUT it did only cost us 7 and not 10.  Could have been the difference at the end of the game if we chose to give up the 2 and then they come down and score anyway..

I'm having a hard time with this argument.  You put the trust in your team they can stop the riders from our own 43,  but don't trust them enough to stop them from their own 45?

18 minutes ago, Ripper said:

We had just gone through that horrible stretch with Hajrullahu. It was actually worse than what you've experienced with Crapigna so far.