Bombers Off-Season Transactions

Noeller

That's funny Jpan. I was just putting together those very same thoughts...

It's interesting to read what Nic Lewis has been tweeting. He understands that NI receivers are grossly under-coached. He mentions that CIS coaches want to win. Coaching the proper way comes second. If a receiver can beat most defenders by running simple routes, then that's what they do.

Here's some samples...

Nic -"I told cfl combine these players aren't ready coming from CIS schools.  Coaches don't get paid to make them better,  get paid to win."

"They need to let me put together my team to get them prepped and ready for combine.  Then draft."

"If I'm. A CIS coach and have a 6'5 wr against a 5'8 DB,  what u think I'm. About to do all day.  Not teach him how to run a slant"

"I've been in training camp 13 yrs with Canadian wr rookies.  Brett Ralph might be the best one I've seen.  That was 11 yrs ago"

Some of his answers to people replying to his tweets:

Are we farther behind in talent or coaching? It's chicken before the egg I guess but which needs most improvement?

Lewis:  not enough talent and games. A coach is not supposed to get u ready for next level, he supposed to get u ready for game day

Lewis:  olinemen are. That's basically it.

Coaching in Cdn college has progessed incredible amount in last 15 yrs. NFL invites show that. Worse than almost all US high schools in 90s.

Lewis:  never said it hasn't progressed. Name a wr that has went in the NFL draft from. A CIS school

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

That's funny Jpan. I was just putting together those very same thoughts...

It's interesting to read what Nic Lewis has been tweeting. He understands that NI receivers are grossly under-coached. He mentions that CIS coaches want to win. Coaching the proper way comes second. If a receiver can beat most defenders by running simple routes, then that's what they do.

Here's some samples...

Nic -"I told cfl combine these players aren't ready coming from CIS schools.  Coaches don't get paid to make them better,  get paid to win."

"They need to let me put together my team to get them prepped and ready for combine.  Then draft."

"If I'm. A CIS coach and have a 6'5 wr against a 5'8 DB,  what u think I'm. About to do all day.  Not teach him how to run a slant"

"I've been in training camp 13 yrs with Canadian wr rookies.  Brett Ralph might be the best one I've seen.  That was 11 yrs ago"

He's right about most.  They take time.  The guys the CFL wants are the best athletes who can just run by everyone in CIS and don't need to learn how to play receiver.

41 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well seems like most teams have decided NI receivers aren't important.  To me I'd play 2-3 there/RB and load up imports on the OL.  The quality of NI OL has been bad this entire decade.  Easier to develop decent receivers, especially when the guys throwing to them have ample time.

Unless they can get a high level talent / prospect yeah. I might employ a full time H back, we seem to be seeing more guys that fit that mold coming out as well. Pass catcher, blocker, bit of running. Maybe more time lining up as the inside slot then in the back field. Make use of them in screen passes to them and other guys etc. 

I think NI rb could become the rule and imps the exception as well. Also with the amount of big body backs, and more and more limited use of the run game. 

Its really a transition time for the ratio meta. In the next few years we could see a good size shift in systems to support the talent we are pulling up from the draft. Its gonna be interesting to see. 

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well seems like most teams have decided NI receivers aren't important.  To me I'd play 2-3 there/RB and load up imports on the OL.  The quality of NI OL has been bad this entire decade.  Easier to develop decent receivers, especially when the guys throwing to them have ample time.

which teach has decided that? BC and EDM each just took a CDN wr in the top 5 this year. I feel like we're the only ones thinking that way.

2 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

which teach has decided that? BC and EDM each just took a CDN wr in the top 5 this year. I feel like we're the only ones thinking that way.

BC and EDM each had their top Canadian receivers in 2016 retire this past off season (Gore and Coehoorn, respecitvely). Our top Canadian receiver in 2016 (Feoli-G) is still on our roster.

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

BC and EDM each had their top Canadian receivers in 2016 retire this past off season (Gore and Coehoorn, respecitvely). Our top Canadian receiver in 2016 (Feoli-G) is still on our roster.

I'm pretty sure Kohlert is better than JFG and he's not here anymore.

Just now, Gotmilt said:

I'm pretty sure Kohlert is better than JFG and he's not here anymore.

You're right, statistically. Do you remember Kohlert playing volleyball out there last season? Those don't show up on the stats sheet. Feoli-G was our best Canadian receiver last season, at least in terms of catching balls that are thrown at him.

37 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

You're right, statistically. Do you remember Kohlert playing volleyball out there last season? Those don't show up on the stats sheet. Feoli-G was our best Canadian receiver last season, at least in terms of catching balls that are thrown at him.

2 ******* passes do not define a guys career. Holy **** you would think he was out there handing the ball to the other team all the god damned time the way some people talk. 

24 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

2 ******* passes do not define a guys career. Holy **** you would think he was out there handing the ball to the other team all the god damned time the way some people talk. 

I agree with your statement. But he dropped more than 2 balls last year also. When you watch the games, given their opportunities JFG made more of them, than Kholert. And he (JFG) was clearly the better rec of the two, last year.

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Kohlert was a disaster last year.  I was a huge Kohlert fan but he was a total liability on offence in the last half of the season.  When you're the 5th receiver, all you really gotta do is catch the ball on the rare occasion it comes your way, and he couldn't do that.  Not only that he dropped it in the worst possible way.  It was the right time to move on.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Kohlert was a disaster last year.  I was a huge Kohlert fan but he was a total liability on offence in the last half of the season.  When you're the 5th receiver, all you really gotta do is catch the ball on the rare occasion it comes your way, and he couldn't do that.  Not only that he dropped it in the worst possible way.  It was the right time to move on.

Yup. I loved Kohlert when he was picked in the expansion draft by Ottawa and chose to re-sign here, but he was absolutely dreadful this year.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Found the guy that bought a Kohlert jersey. Jeez you'd think I dumped manure on his lawn. I was a huge Kohlert fan til he started to slip and now I think Feoli-G is the better option. Holy ****! Get out the lynchin rope. Settle down Sheldon.

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

My whole point is the teams that drafted WR in the top 5 needed National receivers because of retirements. I don't feel we have the same need. I feel we've got our guy already. Regardless of how bad Kohlert was last year.

except in every interview Walters has made it clear he doesn't really value the position at all.

5 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

except in every interview Walters has made it clear he doesn't really value the position at all.

Oh? Is that what we are arguing about? I agree that it's not an important position on our team, further reinforcing my opinion that we already have they guy we need for the job and correctly opted not to use high value picks on receivers. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue said:

Point me in the direction to any interview where it says KW doesn't value this position.  

I apologize i don't have the interview on hand but it was a pre draft interview, he referenced Ed Tait's article about how the position only receives 3-4 targets a game, its the hardest throw to make, etc, etc.

17 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Take a look at Nik Lewis tweeter feed. Says he has seen no CIS WR that has been pro ready in his whole career.

some one should ask him how many of his toes hes seen in the last 5 years. 5'10 260 lbs buffet ready... :P

He does have a point of course.  Gore sat most of the first year and didnt get targeted, but was probably good enough to start for half the league as a rookie. Clermont, and fantuz. Aside from those 3 though its been a struggle with WRs in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

some one should ask him how many of his toes hes seen in the last 5 years. 5'10 260 lbs buffet ready... :P

He does have a point of course.  Gore sat most of the first year and didnt get targeted, but was probably good enough to start for half the league as a rookie. Clermont, and fantuz. Aside from those 3 though its been a struggle with WRs in the draft. 

It sounds like he meant on his own team because he referenced Brett Ralph

Edited by Gotmilt

2006-2016 WRs picked in the first round:

Brian jones, tevaun smith, nic demski, devon bailey, Anthony coombs(moved to wr), shamawd chambers, jade etienne, anthony parker, nathan coehoorn, marco iannuzzi, matt carter, darcy brown, sam giguere, jabari arthur, adam nicolson, andy fantuz, and eric deslauriers.

Thats a pretty telling list. 

I didnt include the first 2nd round picks in years where a first was forfeited. 

Edited by wbbfan

7 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

It sounds like he meant on his own team because he referenced Brett Ralph

I imagine so. Though looking at the list of the last 10 years of first round wrs makes it look like hes right across the board. 

For as poor as the receivers are coming out of CIS, the defensive backs are even worse.  These things are probably related.  Not to be racist but there are just way too many white guys playing DB in the CIS and they suck at it.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

For as poor as the receivers are coming out of CIS, the defensive backs are even worse.  These things are probably related.  Not to be racist but there are just way too many white guys playing DB in the CIS and they suck at it.

I dont think its a race thing. Trent corney is probably our best athlete on the team. Cam judge was the best athlete in this draft. etc

I think its a teams focusing talent at other positions thing. The size and athleticism of RBs coming out for instance. 

For a long time if you had size any talent and or athletic ability you got pulled to the OL quickly.