Canadian Politics

Gives time for Ford to run.

Hooboy, wouldn't that be something? Ford, Poilievre, Charest, and who knows who else, running? That would certainly draw headlines and have a lot of fireworks. Two intellectual lightweights but very boisterous, along with the most seasoned politician and old school conservative?

I've read stuff on Twitter suggesting Kenney hopes to lose the confidence vote next month in Red Deer, get tossed and then free to run for the federal leadership. Not sure how much merit there is to it, but crazier things..... 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I've read stuff on Twitter suggesting Kenney hopes to lose the confidence vote next month in Red Deer, get tossed and then free to run for the federal leadership. Not sure how much merit there is to it, but crazier things..... 

not realising that failing so hard as a conservative premier in Alberta that they give you the boot means what the **** chance do you even have federally? 

No Kenney gets the old heave ho from the UCP I reckon that's the end of his political career.

@JCon paying any attention to the story about the funding Obby received from the PC's as part of the Buy Local initiative? His company, GoodLocal, received $500,000 - more than all the other companies that received assistance combined. Of course this was well before Obby even considered politics 🙄

The race for Fort Whyte is getting more interesting.

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

@JCon paying any attention to the story about the funding Obby received from the PC's as part of the Buy Local initiative? His company, GoodLocal, received $500,000 - more than all the other companies that received assistance combined. Of course this was well before Obby even considered politics 🙄

There’s a football analogy joke in here somewhere but I just can’t find it.

15 hours ago, WildPath said:

No way Obby gets that money without Treasury Board approval. Getting one-third of the entire pot? Wow 

It looks really, really bad for this govt. But, I don't think this govt can sink any lower. They are at the bottom feasting upon the scum. 

33 minutes ago, JCon said:

No way Obby gets that money without Treasury Board approval. Getting one-third of the entire pot? Wow 

It looks really, really bad for this govt. But, I don't think this govt can sink any lower. They are at the bottom feasting upon the scum. 

It’s just a f’ing game to these people, doing sneaky schmarmie greasy things with one another behind the scenes cloaked with bullshit lines about wanting to serve and have really rationalized this bullshit in their heads as what great people they are. 

On 2022-03-03 at 9:14 PM, Noeller said:

Having Kenny come in could quite likely spit the right wing vote with Poilievre. It could allow a more moderate Conservative ( Charest ) to slip in, depending how the vote shakes down. I can't see either Kenny or Poilievre winning an election. I doubt either could pull the center vote their way. 

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

Having Kenny come in could quite likely spit the right wing vote with Poilievre. It could allow a more moderate Conservative ( Charest ) to slip in, depending how the vote shakes down. I can't see either Kenny or Poilievre winning an election. I doubt either could pull the center vote their way. 

Thlng is, if Kenney beats out Poilievre, Poilievre's votes will swing to Kenney. Who ever comes out ahead, will win it on the next ballot, if the CPC swing full populist. 

----

There are a lot more Reeves signs around me, thak Khan. It's early but this might be a race. 

Edited by JCon

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Thlng is, if Kenney beats out Poilievre, Poilievre's votes will swing to Kenney. Who ever comes out ahead, will win it on the next ballot, if the CPC swing full populist. 

This is exact how otoole won. He pondered to the right wing and once the hard right so-cons dropped out their votes went to otoole. 

13 hours ago, JCon said:

----

There are a lot more Reeves signs around me, thak Khan. It's early but this might be a race. 

But it still depends on how the  vote shakes out. I have no feeling anymore about the % of hard right people in the party but if it's around % 50 you can get a spit of that vote and have a moderate sneak in. ( ala Joe Clark ) The question then becomes  an a moderate control the party. 

If the hard right numbers are over % 50 then you are absolutly right. A final vote would likely be a combined right wing vote. Again I can't see a Kenny or Poulievre winning a General election although you never know. I also think having a hard right opposition leader is really divisive for this country. 

2 hours ago, the watcher said:

But it still depends on how the  vote shakes out. I have no feeling anymore about the % of hard right people in the party but if it's around % 50 you can get a spit of that vote and have a moderate sneak in. ( ala Joe Clark ) The question then becomes  an a moderate control the party. 

If the hard right numbers are over % 50 then you are absolutly right. A final vote would likely be a combined right wing vote. Again I can't see a Kenny or Poulievre winning a General election although you never know. I also think having a hard right opposition leader is really divisive for this country. 

The way that Peter McKay was rejected in the last leadership selection and how otoole was booted for trying to be moderate after winning tells me that the right is fully in charge.

20 hours ago, JCon said:

Let me explain a bit more about what Treasury Board approval means. 

Each year, the Province hands out thousands of grants, across various departments and programs. 

Some, are done to a specific organization, for a specific value. For example, the United Way gets an operating grant each year. The amount is determined through an agreement between the Prov and the UW. On the grants listing, approved by Treasury Board and is approved when the budget is passed. The authority to pay the grant is delegated to the department to make the payment. The amount and timing is delegated. 

Then, there are granting programs, that are application based. If it's an ongoing program, usually there are application criteria and an evaluation process. A list of recipients is determined and it's typically signed off by the Minister (or delegated down to the office level). These would be smaller grants, under $25k but sometimes more. Treasury Board would delegate the authority to a maximum amount for an individual recipient and the total amount to be distributed by the entire program. 

If you want to make changes to either of those types of programs, you need to go back to Treasury Board and get their approval. This is a formal process. 

The last type that would be comparable, would have been this program that Khan would have applied for. An emergency program, done in haste to try to react to a new or developing situation. A department would have had to submit a TB submission to get the funds and the delegation of authority approved. Likely, TB would have authorized the funds and provided some delegation. Say, any grants under $10k, the department can approve but for anything else, you need to come back. Most likely, the entire list needed TB approval before award letters/commitments and payments were made. Reason being, this was a politically sensitive file and program.

So, I don't think that there is anyway that Khan was provided a $500k grant without the Secretary to Treasury Board and the Minister of Finance seeing and approving the list. The Secretary to Treasury Board's job is to be politically astute and help guide the gov't. 

I use Treasury Board and Treasury Board Secretariat interchangeably in the above. Treasury Board itself is a sub-committee of cabinet and made up of gov't MLAs and usually Ministers. Treasury Board Secretariat is civil service office that provides advice to gov't, as well as strategic planning. A few other roles but not really applicable in this case. 

EVIDENCE FOUND THAT CONSERVATIVES ARE SERIOUSLY ILL:

Even a mild COVID-19 infection can shrink your brain, study finds.  A study of brain scans of people before and after an infection found significant brain changes

Evidence is mounting that COVID-19, the disease caused by SARS-CoV-2, does not merely affect the lungs, but also can have deleterious effects on the brain. Recently, a number of studies found that COVID-19 is associated with an increased risk of neurological and psychiatric disorders, though the details around how the disease impacts the brain has remained unclear.

Now, according to the first study to compare brain scans of people before and after contracting COVID-19, researchers observed shrinkage and tissue damage in regions of the brain that are linked to mental capacities and smell after a person tested positive. The study was published in the journal Nature. 

I hope nobody has forgotten about Pat King....Tamara Lich is now free, but Pat still needs our help.

**TAMARA LICH IS FREE**
Pat King is still applying for a bail review because significant circumstances of the case have changed materially. In other words, if the bail hearing judge were dealing with the case today, the decision made would have been different and Pat would be released. Pat King is seeking financial support from his friends & family to help cover his legal expenses so he can seek a release on bail then begin to prepare for his trial. The amount to cover the bail review and trial is estimated to exceed over $100,000. Any financial help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated in Pat’s quest for freedom. We have been advised through legal council that your donations can be secured in trust and your bank account will not run the risk of being frozen.
Let us know if you think Pat King is a political prisoner in the comments below? Thank you for your support and donation to the #FreePatKing legal expense fund. Please share this post.