Around The League Off Season Discussion

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

what you don't think Mack brought in a pile of american talent for this team? He did that aspect of the job better than Walters has. 

I would've agreed with this prior to this year, but we got some quality players this year. 

It would still be nice if Walters could recruit a half decent receiver though.

1 hour ago, Blueandgold said:

I would've agreed with this prior to this year, but we got some quality players this year. 

It would still be nice if Walters could recruit a half decent receiver though.

It's weird that receivers have been so hard for us to find, when they're supposed to be the easiest to find, yet we can't seem to miss on the dbs we bring in.

1 hour ago, Dr. Blue said:

I thought that I read somewhere that Reed was recommended for the GM position by Chapdelaine.

I'm glad that's not us!

I definitely read that as well. This whole thing just reeks of something the Bombers would have done in the past because it's the cheap and easy way. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Name an American OL who was better than Bond, Foketi, or Hardrick. 

Kelly Butler ? Maybe not better but at least he belongs to that group. 

Andre Douglas is also good prior to his injury.

BTW, Hardrick was originally from BC. 

Edited by M.O.A.B.

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Didn't Kelly bring him to WPG via Edmonton 

He signed with the club 2010 

I think you're referring to OL Thaddeus Coleman. 

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/blogs/bomber_insiders/Another-trade-with-Edmonton-48036967.html

Edited by M.O.A.B.

4 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

BTW, Hardrick was originally from BC. 

Sure, and he also played for the Riders. 

But, the Bomber staff recognized Hardrick's potential and didn't dismiss him as another failed talent. They got him to lose 20 pounds so that he'd be more mobile and look what happened. 

To me that's a strike against the Lions and Riders if anything.

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Name an American OL who was better than Bond, Foketi, or Hardrick. 

Name a receiver better than Matthews? Or a DE better than Willis/Hunt. Or a HB better than Hefney. OR DT better than Turner. Etc etc. Mack had his bright spots. This isn't an attempt to rewrite history. Those teams were what they were. But he found plenty of American talent, and in their prime most were the best or damn near the best in the league.

19 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Name a receiver better than Matthews? Or a DE better than Willis/Hunt. Or a HB better than Hefney. OR DT better than Turner. Etc etc. Mack had his bright spots. This isn't an attempt to rewrite history. Those teams were what they were. But he found plenty of American talent, and in their prime most were the best or damn near the best in the league.

Wllis, Hunt, & Hefney all came before Mack.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

You can also throw names like Sears and Washington and Wild in there too. I get that people want to pretend that Joe Mack was the worst person in the world and he did make mistakes, but when it came to recruiting players from the states he was damned good, but he relied on that entirely and didn't make good coaching choices so the whole thing didn't work. 

18 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You can also throw names like Sears and Washington and Wild in there too. I get that people want to pretend that Joe Mack was the worst person in the world and he did make mistakes, but when it came to recruiting players from the states he was damned good, but he relied on that entirely and didn't make good coaching choices so the whole thing didn't work. 

some kind of booger man....