Around The League Off Season Discussion

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Terrence Jeffers Harris continued to be employed in the CFL and no one took a second look at Carr. I'm not sure I understand that. Must be something behind the scenes there because if I were a GM I would have taken a look at Carr at a reduced price. He never lived up to his contract in Edm/Riders....but in his defence he wasn't given much of opportunity either.

If I'm not mistaken, he was the one who had a rep of being lazy throughout college.....might be a red flag there....

Maybe....but he did produce when he was on the field....and he certainly wasn't a locker room cancer like TJH.  I just find it odd, because he certainly looked like he had the goods to be a star receiver. Bet he regrets the day he left the friendly confines of Lapo's offence for an extra 5k in Edmonton.

Even his last game ever, in Saskatchewan, he had a great game....was their best receiver, albeit in a playoff loss.

Edited by gcn11

3 hours ago, gcn11 said:

You killed your entire Mack argument when you said RBs ad receivers are the easiest positions to find talent. Walters has been able to find no talent at either. You are also forgetting some pretty decent DL talent brought into this league by Mack.

The Americans on our o-line do not count? 

Can you supply a list of great players that Mack brought in on himself?  Because most names that people were using were guys that the previous regime (Murphy) had brought in?

5 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Not sure where to put this, but where is Kirk Penton going? Just saw on twitter that's he's not with the Sun anymore. Not sure if he was fired or quit. Bender's leaving too, but that's addition by subtraction.

Not just those two.

Engstrom is a Deputy Editor at the Sun.

Mack was so great at finding receivers that we had to watch Brock Ralph suit up game after game after game...

Then again, you can't discount all-stars like Cassidy Doneff and Doug Pierce...  truly amazing finds.

Shannon Boatman and Bloi-Dei Del Dorzon would suggest that 'genius' is not the right term here...

22 hours ago, gcn11 said:

NFL workouts have been a standard practice in the final year of a players contract for many years now. As a league we MUST continue to allow guys to pursue their NFL dreams. When our scouts go to Texas to recruit a fringe ex-NFLer to come to Canada, what is our selling tactic do you think? It is that we are your last chance to prove to the NFL that you can play. It's not the 40k US we offer that sells them on hanging their hat in a butthole like Regina....that's for sure.

LOL! The way the Canadian dollar is going that sell is going to be harder to make.

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎16 at 3:38 PM, Brandon said:

The Americans on our o-line do not count? 

Can you supply a list of great players that Mack brought in on himself?  Because most names that people were using were guys that the previous regime (Murphy) had brought in?

Brandon Stewart, Johnny Sears, Chris Garrett, Greg Carr, Alex Suber, TJ Harris, Kelly Butler, Andre Douglas, Moton Hopkins, Marcellus Bowman, Deon Beasley, Demond Washington, Alex Hall, Chad Simpson, Zach Anderson, JT Gilmore, Ian Wild, Taylor Reed, Jamayel Smith, Michel PontBriand, Bryant Turner, Jason Vega, Chris Matthews, Clarence Denmark, Wallace Miles

All of the above were Mack recruits, the highlighted all had or are having very good careers.

On 12/16/2016 at 5:47 PM, Floyd said:

Mack was so great at finding receivers that we had to watch Brock Ralph suit up game after game after game...

Then again, you can't discount all-stars like Cassidy Doneff and Doug Pierce...  truly amazing finds.

Shannon Boatman and Bloi-Dei Del Dorzon would suggest that 'genius' is not the right term here...

hes great with imp talent. not at all with imp. Guys not working out from down south isnt the measuring stick for GMs. If it was, no one would have a job. 

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:59 AM, wbbfan said:

Mack in a limited role could be deadily good. 

Im a little surprised at steinauer. I thought he was a blue chipper at DC up here, and with another year or two would be a prime candidate for a HC job. I get when guys take HC jobs in the NCAA. you can make fantastic money, and have incredible job security for a coach. Combined with full control over your team and system. Not to mention coaching college guys is often considered easier then the pros. The lateral move going down is a bit of a shocker.  

Not when you Steinhauer can get a pension, health & education benefits. He'll probably get paid more money & in US dollars. Then it makes all kind of sense. The CFL would retain more coaches if it brought in assistant coach benefits but it doesn't. Benefits for assistant coaches have been discussed for many years as a way to keep bright young coaches in the CFL & nothing ever changes.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Brandon Stewart, Johnny Sears, Chris Garrett, Greg Carr, Alex Suber, TJ Harris, Kelly Butler, Andre Douglas, Moton Hopkins, Marcellus Bowman, Deon Beasley, Demond Washington, Alex Hall, Chad Simpson, Zach Anderson, JT Gilmore, Ian Wild, Taylor Reed, Jamayel Smith, Michel PontBriand, Bryant Turner, Jason Vega, Chris Matthews, Clarence Denmark, Wallace Miles

All of the above were Mack recruits, the highlighted all had or are having very good careers.

Remind me how this is different from ANY other team's scouting system?  Everyone finds good players and duds.  Looks like a pretty standard recruitment rate to me...

Mack was a 'decent' US scout and a garbage GM. 

8 hours ago, Floyd said:

Remind me how this is different from ANY other team's scouting system?  Everyone finds good players and duds.  Looks like a pretty standard recruitment rate to me...

Mack was a 'decent' US scout and a garbage GM. 

Based on your pretty jaded attitude about Mack, I will take that as a victory for my argument. A few posts ago you were suggesting the cream of his crop to be guys like Dorzon or Doneff. Now he has moved up to 'decent" recruiter.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think that Kavis Reed will probably only last a couple of seasons as GM if things don't improve anyway. When he goes he'll take Joe Mack with him. 

Probably right. However, the wildcard is Wettenhall. He does not make decisions that are par for the course.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not when you Steinhauer can get a pension, health & education benefits. He'll probably get paid more money & in US dollars. Then it makes all kind of sense. The CFL would retain more coaches if it brought in assistant coach benefits but it doesn't. Benefits for assistant coaches have been discussed for many years as a way to keep bright young coaches in the CFL & nothing ever changes.

Lorenzo Ward, Fresno State's DC last year, made $86,892 last year. Nick Toth, the inside linebackers coach (previously DC), made $150,000

I don't think that is a whole lot different than what he would have made up here.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

8 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

Lorenzo Ward, Fresno State's DC last year, made $86,892 last year. Nick Toth, the inside linebackers coach (previously DC), made $150,000

I don't think that is a whole lot different than what he would have made up here.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

You have to consider the exchange rate and proximity to family when looking at this job for him. Second, look at the potential earnings. If he can work his way up to a coordinator gig at a big conference school, or even a HC job at a small school (like Fresno State), he'll make far more than he would as a HC in the CFL. 

Worked out pretty well for Kliff Kingsbury after he left the Bombers: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ 

2 hours ago, nate007 said:

You have to consider the exchange rate and proximity to family when looking at this job for him. Second, look at the potential earnings. If he can work his way up to a coordinator gig at a big conference school, or even a HC job at a small school (like Fresno State), he'll make far more than he would as a HC in the CFL. 

Worked out pretty well for Kliff Kingsbury after he left the Bombers: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ 

I expect we'll see Steinhauer return to the CFL sometime in the future as soon as a team offers him a HC position.  All may not be will in Hamilton under Austin, first Condell walks away and now Steinhauer.  Can't help feeling the Ti-Cats may have peaked a few years ago and are now on their way down.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

3 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Based on your pretty jaded attitude about Mack, I will take that as a victory for my argument. A few posts ago you were suggesting the cream of his crop to be guys like Dorzon or Doneff. Now he has moved up to 'decent" recruiter.

I added decent just for you...  its Christmas.

Brandon Stewart and Taylor Reed(?!) are not Mack recruits...  

I'd say you could probably cut your list in half if we're talking about top quality starters Mack recruited...  lots of guys on there started strong and faded pretty quick

12 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I added decent just for you...  its Christmas.

Brandon Stewart and Taylor Reed(?!) are not Mack recruits...  

I'd say you could probably cut your list in half if we're talking about top quality starters Mack recruited...  lots of guys on there started strong and faded pretty quick

It's questionable who should get credit for Reed.  He was signed to our PR less than 2 months after Mack was fired so did Walters recruit him or was he already on our radar at that point?

37 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Bass probably gets around $180k then?  Esp if Cummings was getting $140...

After having an off year? I'm sure we can land Bass for less. He's a keeper but there are other fish in the sea.

I'll show myself out...