Around The League Off Season Discussion

5 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Looks like this got overshadowed by the Mack news... but IMO this is very bad news for the CFL... anytime we lose quality coaches to NCAA it hurts the CFL game... that's 2 potential future HCs in 2 years now leaving... both (not coincidentally perhaps?) Hamilton coordinators too....

Can't help but think he'll be back. Maybe he follows the same path as Austin. Although, Austin was an established, Grey Cup winning HC, when he left.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Looks like this got overshadowed by the Mack news... but IMO this is very bad news for the CFL... anytime we lose quality coaches to NCAA it hurts the CFL game... that's 2 potential future HCs in 2 years now leaving... both (not coincidentally perhaps?) Hamilton coordinators too....

I see it a little differently. I'd rather like to see the best up and comers stick around the CFL of course, but having CFL coaches work in the NCAA likely gives our league some positive exposure down south. Maybe even resulting in players and coaches looking to our league as a viable option. I suspect we'll see Steinauer back in the CFL one day.

Mack in a limited role could be deadily good. 

Im a little surprised at steinauer. I thought he was a blue chipper at DC up here, and with another year or two would be a prime candidate for a HC job. I get when guys take HC jobs in the NCAA. you can make fantastic money, and have incredible job security for a coach. Combined with full control over your team and system. Not to mention coaching college guys is often considered easier then the pros. The lateral move going down is a bit of a shocker.  

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Mack in a limited role could be deadily good. 

Im a little surprised at steinauer. I thought he was a blue chipper at DC up here, and with another year or two would be a prime candidate for a HC job. I get when guys take HC jobs in the NCAA. you can make fantastic money, and have incredible job security for a coach. Combined with full control over your team and system. Not to mention coaching college guys is often considered easier then the pros. The lateral move going down is a bit of a shocker.  

I think the only drawback is the recruiting. That can be a killer. Each year out identifying talent and trying to 'lure' them to come to your team. 

Mack is so over rated by a few on here it's ridiculous.

Just because he was mediocre at recruiting imports and terrible at everything else does not mean he's some kind of hot shot at scoping talent.   He brought in some decent RB's and Receivers which are the easiest positions to find talent .... he was terrible at finding help at the o-line and qb.  

22 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Just because he was mediocre at recruiting imports and terrible at everything else does not mean he's some kind of hot shot at scoping talent.   He brought in some decent RB's and Receivers which are the easiest positions to find talent .... he was terrible at finding help at the o-line and qb.  

Why does everyone keep saying this? The last two decent receivers we found were Clarence Denmark in 2011 and Chris Matthew in 2012. In fact, you could make an argument that those two, along with Terrance Edwards(I know he came from Montreal)are the only three decent import receivers we've actually recruited in almost 15 years.

8 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Why does everyone keep saying this? The last two decent receivers we found were Clarence Denmark in 2011 and Chris Matthew in 2012. In fact, you could make an argument that those two, along with Terrance Edwards(I know he came from Montreal)are the only three decent import receivers we've actually recruited in almost 15 years.

Recruited, as in, we brought them into the league? Otherwise, Bowman is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Recruited, as in, we brought them into the league? Otherwise, Bowman is pretty good.

Everyone has a different definition, but I'd say guys who weren't established before we signed them.  I guess I forgot about Romby Bryant in 2008 as well.

Bowman couldn't catch a cold here and wasn't recruited by us regardless.

3 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Everyone has a different definition, but I'd say guys who weren't established before we signed them.  I guess I forgot about Romby Bryant in 2008 as well.

Bowman couldn't catch a cold here and wasn't recruited by us regardless.

Yes, I was just wondering what we would consider as recruited.

RE: Bowman - 925 Yards, 15 games, in 2009.

3 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Not sure where to put this, but where is Kirk Penton going? Just saw on twitter that's he's not with the Sun anymore. Not sure if he was fired or quit. Bender's leaving too, but that's addition by subtraction.

Was about to post this. Looks like there is no more sports department at the sun. I was told about bender a little bit ago but the Penton one is surprising. 

Guess Print media is going to go the way of the dodo soon. Massive layoffs I think. 

Edited by Goalie

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

I don't know who Brett Tessler is... but you could probably make an argument that Chris Rainy takes that title...

So McDuffie is free to kick the doors for an NFL deal along with Burnett and Bass, who else?  Not one of those 3 are "easily replaceable" so a bit surprised Walters is letting them drift before they're extended.  It seems like the landscape of the CFL is shifting a bit with the personnel becoming more transient and the allowance of essential keystone players like Bighill to wander.  Any club on the upswing like the Bombers will have a hard time with continuity if they have to replace 5-10 set pieces every year.  It reminds me a bit of scrub football, you form teams out of who ever shows up to play.  Not good.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

20 hours ago, Brandon said:

You killed your entire Mack argument when you said RBs ad receivers are the easiest positions to find talent. Walters has been able to find no talent at either. You are also forgetting some pretty decent DL talent brought into this league by Mack.

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

So McDuffie is free to kick the doors for an NFL deal along with Burnett and Bass, who else?  Not one of those 3 are "easily replaceable" so a bit surprised Walters is letting them drift before they're extended.  It seems like the landscape of the CFL is shifting a bit with the personnel becoming more fluid and the allowance of essential keystone players like Bighill to wander.  Any club on the upswing like the Bombers will have a hard time with continuity if they have to replace 5-10 set pieces every year.  It reminds me a bit of scrub football, you form teams out of who ever shows up to play.  Not good.

NFL workouts have been a standard practice in the final year of a players contract for many years now. As a league we MUST continue to allow guys to pursue their NFL dreams. When our scouts go to Texas to recruit a fringe ex-NFLer to come to Canada, what is our selling tactic do you think? It is that we are your last chance to prove to the NFL that you can play. It's not the 40k US we offer that sells them on hanging their hat in a butthole like Regina....that's for sure.

Edited by gcn11

20 hours ago, Noeller said:

Greg Carr was solid for a time......

Terrence Jeffers Harris continued to be employed in the CFL and no one took a second look at Carr. I'm not sure I understand that. Must be something behind the scenes there because if I were a GM I would have taken a look at Carr at a reduced price. He never lived up to his contract in Edm/Riders....but in his defence he wasn't given much of opportunity either.