Rewriting CFL history!

mgoodpaster

I'm for single division. The best teams get the bye. The second best teams get a playoff spot. Neither of those are guaranteed under the current system. The Grey Cup has a higher probability of the 2 best teams in the league meeting when you don't guarantee that one is from the east and the other from the west.

The issue with this for me is, what happens if year after year the grey cup is always WEST teams or always EAST teams?  You will lose even more fans in those provinces where the teams do not often make it.  Plus it isn't like it is an uncommon setup; they do the same thing with baseball with the two different leagues.  I'm not sure if the NFL does it but I wouldn't be surprised. 

15 minutes ago, Tehedra said:

The issue with this for me is, what happens if year after year the grey cup is always WEST teams or always EAST teams?  You will lose even more fans in those provinces where the teams do not often make it.  Plus it isn't like it is an uncommon setup; they do the same thing with baseball with the two different leagues.  I'm not sure if the NFL does it but I wouldn't be surprised. 

MLB and NFL have two leagues/conferences that have representation from across the country. We've cut the country in half. Not at all the same thing.

It's 9 (and sometimes 8) team league. Let's have one division. You'll get East & West teams in the finals.

Edited by JCon

1 hour ago, JCon said:

MLB and NFL have two leagues/conferences that have representation from across the country. We've cut the country in half. Not at all the same thing.

It's 9 (and sometimes 8) team league. Let's have one division. You'll get East & West teams in the finals.

you'd get east and west teams in the final occasionally. The past two years (probably more) at least it would have been an all west grey cup had it been one division. Like has been said before, the CFL can't afford to do any worse in the eastern cities than it already is. 2 straight years of only western teams in the grey cup would hurt the CFL brand way more than an 8-10 team making it over a 9-9 team.

The goal should be to get all the best teams in the playoffs. The cross over does that. If you don't want to be the cross over team. Play better football.

Hell no to one division.

Sometimes it's nice to have things just for the CHARACTER of the league.  East vs West is one of those things.  It might not make the most competitive sense but it is better from a rivalry and storytelling perspective.  And realistically having one division wouldn't solve as many problems as people think.

11 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Terrible short-sighted idea.

Of course it's going to get traction in a season where the Riders would benefit from the change.

this is, by far, the biggest reason it's being talked about right now. Riders fans are crying because they think this current win streak is who they really are....

I am definitely against having one division and there have been years in which we would have benefited from a single division as well.  I'm sure those years when I'm not thinking logically I would too wish it were only one division but when there is no emotional connection to the decision making process I still think the current setup is in the best interests of the CFL.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

this is, by far, the biggest reason it's being talked about right now. Riders fans are crying because they think this current win streak is who they really are....

For the record, not all Green guys are in favor of this. I don't want it changed even thought the eastern teams suck this year. That won't always be the case. As far as us, its our own fault we took half a season off before we decided to win a few. We are where we deserve to be, outside looking in.

Knee Jerk reaction...As much as the west has shown supremacy in the past, this year has been the ONLY year where all 5 teams in the west could potentially have better records then all in the east (yes I know Ottawa and hamilton still have better records right now then sask. )

12 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

I am for one division. Why reward mediocrity by giving teams with poor records a playoff berth? Why not reward a team with the 2nd best record (like the Bombers) with a bye the 1st round. Yeah, there are drawbacks, but I am more for it than against it.

This is legitimately unavoidable in a 9 team league. It's also already addressed with the crossover. The 6 best teams always make the playoffs, every year since the crossover. Some of those teams will be mediocre, but guess what? Even with a one division league, the teams in positions 4,5,6 will all likely be around the .500 mark. I don't get why people think making the CFL a one division league will all of a sudden make the top 6 teams in the league win more??

The only reasonable argument to be made is to get the top two teams in the league a one week bye come playoff time. I also don't by into the argument of getting the top two teams in the grey cup, as even with one division there's no way that can be guaranteed. To me, one mediocre excuse should not overrule decades of tradition.

I'm very much on the fence on this debate, but I will say that it seems quite absurd that in all likelihood, the fourth place team in the west (and third and second) will finish with a better record than the first place team in the east, yet the first and second place east teams get to host playoff games (and one gets a bye). To me, that's the definition of rewarding mediocrity. 

Keep the divisions as they are for the regular season, as well as the crossover rule, but in terms of seeding for the playoffs do it based on record. In other words, Sask will remain outside regardless of how they finish, but come playoff time (assuming the season ended today), Wpg gets the bye and BC and Edm both host the semi-finals. 

This piece of logic comes from an anonymous source reported by Kirk Penton, and rings very true in this day and age...

"This league is so reactionary, and that's part of its problem. They need to think about all the ramifications of doing away with the East and West Divisions before making a hasty decision. I say keep it status quo. Try selling the league in the east with only Ottawa and Hamilton as possible playoff teams. It's hard enough now, and Toronto and Montreal aren't even eliminated yet"

5 hours ago, SPuDS said:

No.  2 divisions is the way to go especially if expansion is still on the table.

maybe one more team around the east coast. Other then that I dont think the league should expand further. Even then, with attendances down and league wide reffing problems I dont think now or the near future is a good time to consider it.