3 stars plus HH

wbbfan

8 hours ago, do or die said:

1. Harris.

Yeah, the fumbles....but the more he gets the rock, the better this O works.  Tough, max effort player...and making the tough plays in crunch time

2. Medlock

Guy is on total autopilot - 20 straight FG.  We get inside opponent 55 yd line - automatic 3.   Someone needs to remind MOS of this.

3. Multiple Tie

Loffler - guy is around the ball and consistently pops people. is this dude really a rook?

Leggett - not many LBs are a quick pick 6 threat.   Had number 3 at a key time, tonight.

Bass-Wild - like a pair of energizer batteries, they just keep going and going.

4. Best Performance in a Supporting Role

Travis Bond - His performance as a diving Cristiano Ronaldo against John Bowman to gain the first of two penalties was beautiful. By extension, it may even result in Bowman getting fined by the league for referee criticism...Take a bow Travis.

Well friends, tonight's game was not the prettiest affair, but in the end the Bombers parlayed another stout defensive effort and the perfect kicking of Justin Medlock to a victory in La Belle Province. Of course, there are many elements that go into securing a win, but there can be only one Happy Honker, the player who did that something extra special in the game. Now, I enjoyed the efforts of lineman Travis Bond, drawing a rough play penalty with the Bombers backed up in their own end with the greatest acting display seen in these parts since a gruff Joe Mack effectively portrayed a competant evaluator of football talent in his interview and conned the Bombers board of directors into hiring him as GM a few years ago, and then provided a key block on Macho Harris, as the fine folks at TSN know him, game clinching touchdown run. But my Happy Honker winner goes to a more unsung hero. With 8 minutes left and backed up on their own 16 yard line, this club did what they so often have failed to do in the past. What good teams like Calgary seem to do all the time when the chips are down with the game on the line - they took control of their destiny with a methodical drive that put the game away. And the architect of that drive way QB Matthew Nicholls, who went 5/5 and spread the ball around, mixing runs and passes in a brilliantly sequence that salted the match away for our Blue and Gold warriors. After struggling for long stretches of this contest, Nicholls came through in the clutch, and that makes him worthy of tonight's Happy Honker award. 

1 hour ago, blitzmore said:

Where are all the posters that said McDuffie has no hands?

probably has to do with all the dropped returns, and the 2 bad drops when we tried to work him into wr before he got banged up. hes hit or miss. Bowman esq (but not that bad)

21 hours ago, no71 said:

Agreed.  Mayo has shown more than any of the other newbie receivers,

Hes showing legit flashes. But jace davis was doing similar early in the season. Lets hope he can keep it up. 

16 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

4. Best Performance in a Supporting Role

Travis Bond - His performance as a diving Cristiano Ronaldo against John Bowman to gain the first of two penalties was beautiful. By extension, it may even result in Bowman getting fined by the league for referee criticism...Take a bow Travis.

Look out Daniel Day Lewis if Bond ever decides to go into acting full time.

On 2016-08-27 at 0:12 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think that is the only time he touched the ball.

I can't remember which drive it was, but there was one where Nichols ended up throwing it to the corner in front of the end zone for an incompletion (potential interception) and on the replay I saw Kohlert WIDE OPEN up the middle just waiting for the pass that surely would've been a TD. We settled for one of our 6 FGs on that drive.

Point is, I'm sure there were other situations where Kohlert ran the right routes and got open and just didn't get the ball thrown his way. It seems LaPo doesn't have him in their plans as much as I think he deserves -- but hey, if he's contributing in other ways and the team is happy with him overall, then all's good, because he deserves to be there. Even without the stats of late, I still think he's one of the best National receivers in the league.

still believe Denmark, Dressler, Smith, Mayo and Kohert should be our receivers. Only thing I didn't like about the last game was we abandoned the long ball and instead went to the rinkie dink short passes again. Even if we throw it incomplete we at least stretch the defense so they cannot fill the box or tight to the line. Hopefully that won't be the case in the future because if it is our offense will stall yet again. To have 3 turn overs in the first three MTL possessions and come away with 9 points is not the way to win games. The defense and special teams won this one. The short game didn't do us any favours.

23 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

still believe Denmark, Dressler, Smith, Mayo and Kohert should be our receivers. Only thing I didn't like about the last game was we abandoned the long ball and instead went to the rinkie dink short passes again. Even if we throw it incomplete we at least stretch the defense so they cannot fill the box or tight to the line. Hopefully that won't be the case in the future because if it is our offense will stall yet again. To have 3 turn overs in the first three MTL possessions and come away with 9 points is not the way to win games. The defense and special teams won this one. The short game didn't do us any favours.

That will certainly be the core of our wr group, if they can get and stay healthy. Mayo is the spot thats up for grabs, but hes been performing very well. I imagine we will continue to DI mcduffie too. 

This offense seldom throws the long ball. We try and do the exact same thing our D thinks wont happen. Short, under easy high percentage passes that you have to string a lot of together to score. 

None of our qbs are great deep ball passers. Short to medium possesion type qbs. Both nichols and willy have struggled putting the ball on the money on medium to longer routes. Tons of diving catches, misses, and throw behinds. 

The D and teams have pick up the team and run during the win streak. With our offense doing enough to win / not lose. With our qbs and plop at the helm I dont see that changing. This is very similar strategy to what we did under MB. this may well be what Mos wants. TOP grinding offense that protects the ball. Not to mention the 4 qbs we have, have very similar skill sets. davis/bennett are more athletic and bennett has more accuracy troubles. But all of em are short-medium possession passers. 

35 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

McDuffie is going to have a hell of a time staying on the roster.  I don't think you can hang onto a guy who's major contribution is simply kickoff returns.  He doesn't even go back for FG returns.  He's brought nothing as a receiver, he'd be way down the pecking order.

he has a spot when you cant have a guy like fogg returning full time and starting at db. He was solid on a night where again nichols was throwing some what wild and not finding any one with much consistency. And had a nice run. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

still believe Denmark, Dressler, Smith, Mayo and Kohert should be our receivers.

I like Mayo as the first guy off the bench -- I don't think you can start him at the expense of a healthy D. Adams.

And echoing DoD -- loved Sheppard and Kohlert's downfield blocking on Harris' dagger touchdown run. They totally erased their men from the play. I think you'd have to go back to Adarius Bowman to see Bomber receivers blocking like that.

20 hours ago, wbbfan said:

probably has to do with all the dropped returns, and the 2 bad drops when we tried to work him into wr before he got banged up. hes hit or miss. Bowman esq (but not that bad)

Hes showing legit flashes. But jace davis was doing similar early in the season. Lets hope he can keep it up. 

All the dropped returns? Give your head a shake! Bad drops? every receiver has bad drops.