Odds and Sods - Game 8 - Bombers at Argos

do or die

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The last few Bomber games for me have been like a trip down memory lane.  A lot of our wins back in those glory years of the 1980's were exactly like the Toronto game.  Our offense usually wasn't ever that over-powering, especially after Clements was done, but it was always good enough to capitalize on the many turnovers generated by our unbelievable defense.  The game would look like it was going no where, and then boom, Ty Jones would steam roll over a QB and Stan Mikawos would pick up the ball and start running (see 1984 Grey Cup) or Rod Hill would make a big interception and turn the whole game around.  But the key wasn't just creating turnovers, it was having an offense that could capitalize on them and score TD's, not just field goals.  Having that killer instinct to make the other team pay.  The past few games we have finally gotten that offense.  So happy to see it.

I like a Bombers team that's defense first with a bruising RB. Once the cold weather hits, it's a good style to play. 

On 8/13/2016 at 9:43 AM, wbbfan said:

just rewatched, on harris TD he broke atleast 6 tackles. The ol was a mess on that play, he broke 3 tackles before the line of scrimmage. They did get a good scrum going at that point though that helped him get in, but that was a huge effort by harris. Probbaly only 2 backs in the last 5 years score that td. 90% of backs are tackled in the back field.

Tackles for a safety isnt a good stat. Loffler did play another very good game though. And that FF was a thing of beauty. Guy has a nose for the ball and makes all the right football plays.

Not really good, he had that awful miss snap that the argos pounced on but was brought back by a off sides penalty. The line as a hole played well though. Running was tough in the first quarter and a half but after that they tightened up as a unit and played very well. 

You're right, there is always room for improvement and if it weren't for that offsides call that fumble could've been a disastrous turning point for the Bombers. I think it was 13-10 at that point and the turnover would've given Toronto some momentum. That said, I would argue the OL had a good night if for no other reason than they didn't give up a sack. I know that's not always a fair indicator of the O-lines performance, arguments could be made that they gave up more sacks with Willy in (because he hung on to the ball too long).

Given the play of the OL the last few years I thought they helped control the run game and really helped grind down Toronto's D especially when they had the big lead. I also agree about Harris - he's a beast and has consistently played well this year.

Watching that game again I have to say that we got lucky on the drop by Wallace Miles that should have been a TD.  He was open and Kilgore dropped it right in his hands.  If he had caught that pass it would have been 20-17 and potentially changed momentum big time.  Anyway, you make your own luck and the Bombers are doing that now.

One other play that stood out - in the third quarter we were third and more than a yard.  Previously we would have punted but we went for it, Nichols went behind Bond and got two yards on the sneak.  Bond on the OL has given the offense so much confidence.  I hope that Neufeld never comes back, sad to say.  The turnaround of the OL since he left has been monumental.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

You're right, there is always room for improvement and if it weren't for that offsides call that fumble could've been a disastrous turning point for the Bombers. I think it was 13-10 at that point and the turnover would've given Toronto some momentum. That said, I would argue the OL had a good night if for no other reason than they didn't give up a sack. I know that's not always a fair indicator of the O-lines performance, arguments could be made that they gave up more sacks with Willy in (because he hung on to the ball too long).

Given the play of the OL the last few years I thought they helped control the run game and really helped grind down Toronto's D especially when they had the big lead. I also agree about Harris - he's a beast and has consistently played well this year.

Yeah they did. Foketi looked really solid in his first regular season game action too.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Watching that game again I have to say that we got lucky on the drop by Wallace Miles that should have been a TD.  He was open and Kilgore dropped it right in his hands.  If he had caught that pass it would have been 20-17 and potentially changed momentum big time.  Anyway, you make your own luck and the Bombers are doing that now.

One other play that stood out - in the third quarter we were third and more than a yard.  Previously we would have punted but we went for it, Nichols went behind Bond and got two yards on the sneak.  Bond on the OL has given the offense so much confidence.  I hope that Neufeld never comes back, sad to say.  The turnaround of the OL since he left has been monumental.

When i rewatched those 3 deep passes had me holding my breath. Ricky ray and or the argos top wrs prolly hook up on atleast 2 of those deep passes. 

Yeah cjob was really shocked we were going for that, tsn guys didnt even notice >.> That was a long yard and a half on our 25ish yard line. And the game was still close. Big time gutsy call by mos.

On 8/13/2016 at 7:43 AM, wbbfan said:

Not really good, he had that awful miss snap that the argos pounced on but was brought back by a off sides penalty. 

That was not a mistake, quite the opposite. The Argos jumped offside, and centres are instructed to snap the ball when that happens to ensure the penalty. 

5 minutes ago, yogi said:

That was not a mistake, quite the opposite. The Argos jumped offside, and centres are instructed to snap the ball when that happens to ensure the penalty. 

not on a back field motion play like that. And thats not how one acts when they try to catch some one off sides. Not to mention he lacks the awareness to pick up a gap blitzs or do proper switches with his guards Its doubt full he was doing it on purpose. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

not on a back field motion play like that. And thats not how one acts when they try to catch some one off sides. Not to mention he lacks the awareness to pick up a gap blitzs or do proper switches with his guards Its doubt full he was doing it on purpose. 

But you really don't know do you?

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I'll take my knowledge of he game and the confirmation from Doug Brown and Bob Irving on the CJOB call as to it being a purposeful snap over your conjecture, especially considering how often you've been demonstrably wrong in the last couple days.

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah they did. Foketi looked really solid in his first regular season game action too.

When i rewatched those 3 deep passes had me holding my breath. Ricky ray and or the argos top wrs prolly hook up on atleast 2 of those deep passes. 

Yeah cjob was really shocked we were going for that, tsn guys didnt even notice >.> That was a long yard and a half on our 25ish yard line. And the game was still close. Big time gutsy call by mos.

Personally I didn't like that call. Yeah we got it, thankfully, but I still believe it was the wrong call. You HAVE to punt there, that deep in your own end. We gambled when we didn't have to and our D was playing great.

1 hour ago, yogi said:

I'll take my knowledge of he game and the confirmation from Doug Brown and Bob Irving on the CJOB call as to it being a purposeful snap over your conjecture, especially considering how often you've been demonstrably wrong in the last couple days.

watching the play again, the Argo player jumped right in front of Goosen, who seemed to just react to the jump by snapping the ball, rather than waiting for the cadence from Nichols.  But that's just my observation.

19 hours ago, yogi said:

I was listening to the pbp live on ob, brown wasnt there of course but they didnt think it was on purpose at all.  Irving and the local of the week. But yes i was wrong on finer point, while the meta point (that we carry less bigs then any other team in the league) was true. grats i guess?

Edited by wbbfan

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I was listening to the pbp live on ob, brown wasnt there of course but they didnt think it was on purpose at all.  Irving and the local of the week. But yes i was wrong on finer point, while the meta point (that we carry less bigs then any other team in the league) was true. grats i guess?

I only listened to basically that series of the game on CJOB while I ran to the store, didn't catch who was colour, you're right it was surely a local of the week. They definitely mentioned it was intentional though.

I'll take the congrats with pride, as I was not part of that discussion.

Local of the week...... It was Lumsden!! He's a Canadian Football HOFer and called games with Irving on the CFN (TV) for years and has called basically every Ontario game with Irving for as long as I can remember when they didn't have a colour guy on the road. 

Edited by Noeller

Lol... My post was 100% accurate except for the name. I got the two confused. But Lumsden is who Irving called games with forever on CFN and on radio and he's a Canadian HOFer... 

Edited by Noeller

On 8/14/2016 at 0:37 AM, kelownabomberfan said:

The last few Bomber games for me have been like a trip down memory lane.  A lot of our wins back in those glory years of the 1980's were exactly like the Toronto game.  Our offense usually wasn't ever that over-powering, especially after Clements was done, but it was always good enough to capitalize on the many turnovers generated by our unbelievable defense.  The game would look like it was going no where, and then boom, Ty Jones would steam roll over a QB and Stan Mikawos would pick up the ball and start running (see 1984 Grey Cup) or Rod Hill would make a big interception and turn the whole game around.  But the key wasn't just creating turnovers, it was having an offense that could capitalize on them and score TD's, not just field goals.  Having that killer instinct to make the other team pay.  The past few games we have finally gotten that offense.  So happy to see it.

If only the internet had been around then to condemn those wins for not being winny enough...what a terrible time to be alive!

On 13/08/2016 at 9:37 AM, HardCoreBlue said:

I like how Bond brings an attitude to our team and when Richardson went down late in the game displayed his sportmanship. well done.

Side note: ****** bag Toronto defender telling the Bombers to keep away from Richardson because the game wasn't over. Whatever. 

on the side of attitude. around the midway point in the 2nd quarter Chungh gets right up in Foleys face. You can see foley said something to him as he was heading to the huddle, and Chungh stops immediately and gets up in his grill. Don't know what was said by either side, but I remember really liking that the young guy wasn't going to put up with anything. 

Yeah, Bryant's game never went anywhere...he was just covering up for a lotta useless. When you trust the people you work with and can just concentrate on doing your OWN job? That's the best situation. Stanley Bryant's never not been an all-star-calibre OT.....

On 14/08/2016 at 6:39 PM, wbbfan said:

How are you supposed to act when trying to catch someone off sides? He's still a blocker, and he sure as hell isn't going to let someone jump on Nichols, penalty or not. I don't know who you're watching cause Goosen has been a high quality centre all year. I'd be surprised if it wasn’t on purpose. He snaps it as soon as the argo jumps offside and then blocks as the whistle was late. A) he knows refs aren’t perfect so he keeps playing until it’s clearly known the play is dead b) as long as your defender is rushing the QB, you block him. End of story. No free shots ever, doesn’t matter the circumstance.