Special Teams

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

just curious if you saw that hold on Knox?... I watched the replay and all I saw was Knox basically touching the arm of the defender around the time the flag was thrown... not sure if that was the actual penalty... but if it was, calling that borderline would be generous...

That was the actual penalty.

A second with one hand gripping the forearm.

35 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I would have said McDuffie is quicker, faster and more slippery than Fogg before last night. Now I thin Fogg is just as slippery and is a smarter returner.

I think McDuffie is more slippery, but Fogg is just a smart returner. He doesn't screw around much, just catch the ball and go upfield. Too many guys always trying to break a big one but the best returners just get yards and if they get through the first wave they often have the space to go a lot further. 

I really like what Medlock has brought to our team. "okay boys I'm kicking it to the right corner" and he does it.....every time. Same with kick-offs they have a plan and he kicks it to the spot he's supposed to. Coupled with the hang time results in great coverage.

The first guy missed Fogg every time last night, it was pretty obvious they had designed returns as well. Really liked our ST play last night.

Reading Paul Wiecek's article today, and he made this statement:

"The special teams — which had been wildly inconsistent — stepped up in a big way against Hamilton." - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/cancel-the-priest-the-bombers-are-recovering-389204871.html

Have I been asleep all season, or is that statement not even remotely true?

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

Just now, Super Duper Negatron said:

Reading Paul Weicek's article today, and he made this statement:

"The special teams — which had been wildly inconsistent — stepped up in a big way against Hamilton." - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/cancel-the-priest-the-bombers-are-recovering-389204871.html

Have I been asleep all season, or is that statement not even remotely true?

This statement is based on the assumption that Wiecek watches the games and/or knows what he is talking about. I would argue otherwise on both counts.

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 0:58 PM, 17to85 said:

I think McDuffie is more slippery, but Fogg is just a smart returner. He doesn't screw around much, just catch the ball and go upfield. Too many guys always trying to break a big one but the best returners just get yards and if they get through the first wave they often have the space to go a lot further. 

I question McDuffie's hands a small bit too.  Has bobbled the ball a few times. Fogg looks like a awesome find for you guys, really like what I'm seeing from him, A+.  That's what I always loved about Tristan Jackson, nothing fancy, catch the ball and head up field fearlessly.

On 8/4/2016 at 9:48 AM, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think this warrants its own thread but wow were the special teams great last night!

Banks was completely contained last night. 3.8 yards per punt return. Banks is the player who could completely swing the momentum of a game with a big return but he was a non factor all game. It's great seeing a starter like Ian Wild lead the charge with 3 ST tackles. Some players think special teams are beneath them but Wild continues to bring it on every play no matter the circumstances.

On the other hand. Kevin Fogg take a bow. 19.1 yards per punt return. Robbed of a touch down! Not the fastest guy but he has really good vision and is super shifty. Huge reason for the great field position we had in the first half.

That punt block was well executed, and really put the dagger in the Ti-Cats. Seeing Austins face was priceless.

Medlock. Ok he's worth every penny. 3/3 on field goals, no missed PAT's this year, and 44 yards per punt. Glad to see some consistency with our kicking game after years of it hurting us.

Out teams best game under mos imop. Amazing kick coverage and excellent field position all game. Very good execution and decision making returning the ball. 

On 8/4/2016 at 1:18 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Fogg is better than both of them.

McDuffie is fine on kickoffs, but really doesn't do much else better than average.  I'd prefer someone who could contribute on O or D with that DI spot if a starter is going to return punts.

Fogg is more explosive. Which is saying some thing. Mcduffie is more of a steady consistent gainer. Imop mcduffie is good bet for a DI that can contribute on offense. We have only just begun to use him when he got hurt. Doesnt hurt to have both guys, and be able to throw both back to prevent kicking away from a return man from time to time. Or even using one to try and block a kick off the edge. Some thing we did deep in the past with blink after he stopped being a full time return man. And milt a couple times too.

I like McDuffie but I think you should be able to find a returner who can contribute a bit more on O or D. McDuffie is ok on O but... he's nothing special and never will be. Surely you could find a guy who can return kicks and punts and can contribute a bit more on either O or D. I like McDuffie but if I'm the bombers I'm certainly trying to find a guy who can replace him. 

Edited by Goalie

20 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I like McDuffie but I think you should be able to find a returner who can contribute a bit more on O or D. McDuffie is ok on O but... he's nothing special and never will be. Surely you could find a guy who can return kicks and punts and can contribute a bit more on either O or D. I like McDuffie but if I'm the bombers I'm certainly trying to find a guy who can replace him. 

cant say he never will be. hes hardly been given any looks on offense. Brandon banks doesnt get much for looks on offense should hamilton replace him? Fogg is a db and doesnt have any impact on offense.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

cant say he never will be. hes hardly been given any looks on offense. Brandon banks doesnt get much for looks on offense should hamilton replace him? Fogg is a db and doesnt have any impact on offense.

Banks gets a decent amount of plays his way on offence, lots of plays specially designed for him as well. 

With respect to Medlock's punting, depth is nothing spectacular but have you seen his net? The other night it was just above 40 yards. That is freaking awesome. He was out averaged by Hammy's kicker but he out netted him by a bundle. 

I really like Fogg on returns. However, McDuffie is the wiser choice back there because if he gets hurt on teams it doesn't directly affect the offence. If Fogg goes down on teams that is a decent defensive starter out of action.

1 hour ago, do or die said:

Fogg has better hands.....

What? McDuffie caught everything thrown at him in camp. I think he dropped one this year near the goal line, which was not an easy catch in any event. He also hasn't dropped any when returning, that I can remember.

Edited by blitzmore

1 hour ago, blitzmore said:

What? McDuffie caught everything thrown at him in camp. I think he dropped one this year near the goal line, which was not an easy catch in any event. He also hasn't dropped any when returning, that I can remember.

He did have a fumble on a kick return in Hamilton that started their (futile) comeback attempt. 

5 hours ago, blitzmore said:

As a receiver he has been pretty reliable. He has put some balls on the ground on KR and PR however

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This is kind of unrelated but when a player like Fogg agrees to return punts does he receive an incentive payment?  I would think jeopardising ones health and a starter's position to help out on teams should have some reward.

That is solid logic TLB. 

17 hours ago, O2L said:

Banks gets a decent amount of plays his way on offence, lots of plays specially designed for him as well. 

Wouldnt say a decent amount. Last year he caught 22 passes and had 20 rushes in 18 games. This year he has 13 catches and 1 carry. In 2014 he had 42 catches for 529 yards and 15 carries for 97 yards. Hes on track for less touches this year then last year. In 2014, he only played in 14 games too.

8 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This is kind of unrelated but when a player like Fogg agrees to return punts does he receive an incentive payment?  I would think jeopardising ones health and a starter's position to help out on teams should have some reward.

We signed him as a dual purpose player, i imagine we gave him more money in base. If he didnt, he sure does deserve it. But the glimpses hes shown can easily get him an NFL deal after the seasons over too. His db play has been good but not great and his size is similar. 

21 hours ago, wbbfan said:

We signed him as a dual purpose player, i imagine we gave him more money in base. If he didnt, he sure does deserve it. But the glimpses hes shown can easily get him an NFL deal after the seasons over too. His db play has been good but not great and his size is similar. 

I would think this sorta thing would be written into his contract with incentives. Bonus money for return yds, TDs, etc, knowing he's a returner as well as DB.... 

Fogg is the better punt/kick returner as he knows how to get positive yardage on both. Nothing fancy unless something opens up for him. He seldom if ever loses yardage. But as has been said here earlier, should he get hurt the defense now suffers. However should Randle be healthy once again and Fogg gets hurt we are okay.