OK, it IS Willy ...

IC Khari

47 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Regardless whether you are pro-Willy or pro-Nicholls, you would not like any QB-change at this moment since that would mean we are losing games.

consistency is a huge part of winning. And winning is whats important. That said, I dont love our chances this week. Short week against a hammer team thats gotta be sore about us beating them earlier this year. If we do pull it out and nicholls plays a similar or better level as last week I dont think we can make any changes easily. 

I would really like to see a better long term qb we could develop though. 

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

consistency is a huge part of winning. And winning is whats important. That said, I don't love our chances this week. Short week against a hammer team thats gotta be sore about us beating them earlier this year. If we do pull it out and Nicholls plays a similar or better level as last week I don't think we can make any changes easily. 

I would really like to see a better long term QB we could develop though. 

We have a decent shot against Hamilton and that's all the team can ask. Collaros is still down and it looks like a few of the missing pieces on defence have been found. Bond has glued the O-line together and all Nichols needs to do is manage the offense like he did against the Esks.

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I dont love our chances this week. Short week against a hammer team thats gotta be sore about us beating them earlier this year.

I wonder if this is a mostly Blue Bomber fan issue? It seems like every week we come up with a reason why the other team will have more motivation to win than us.

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

Holy crap I thought you were joking...Only 32 and only two years since he's been out of the league.

Had success with Lapo here....sign the man!

I know you're joking, but I don't recall him having any success here at all. Lapo or not. When he was playing didn't we only win 4 games that year? The best 4-14 team of all time.

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I wonder if this is a mostly Blue Bomber fan issue? It seems like every week we come up with a reason why the other team will have more motivation to win than us.

I don't disagree with you, but on the other hand losing to the Bombers is considered rather embarrassing.

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I know you're joking, but I don't recall him having any success here at all. Lapo or not. When he was playing didn't we only win 4 games that year? The best 4-14 team of all time.

In his one season with the Bombers Jyles put up 19 Tds and 7 Ints and a 100.9 QB rating in 16 games.  Not sure how many fumbles he had but I do remember one game where the Bombers were deep in opposition territory and a TD would have put the Bombers ahead late in the game.  Jyles proceeded to avoid a sack only to fumble the ball all on his own and the opposition recovered.  That play had a large role in the Bomber loss.

Ultimately, Jyles' numbers that season are perfect example of misleading stats.  So many times, he was in a position to win the game, only failing time and again to put together a late drive for a go-ahead score.

It's just like Willy and his 70% completion rate which ultimately doesn't mean diddly when he has been incapable of leading his team on a long TD drive and struggles to consistently put 25+ points on the board and can virtually never put 30+ points.

Edited by blueandgoldguy

6 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

In his one season with the Bombers Jyles put up 19 Tds and 7 Ints and a 100.9 QB rating in 16 games.  Not sure how many fumbles he had but I do remember one game where the Bombers were deep in opposition territory and a TD would have put the Bombers ahead late in the game.  Jyles proceeded to avoid a sack only to fumble the ball all on his own and the opposition recovered.  That play had a large role in the Bomber loss.

Ultimately, Jyles' numbers that season are perfect example of misleading stats.  So many times, he was in a position to win the game, only failing time and again to put together a late drive for a go-ahead score.

It just like Willy and his 70% completion rate which ultimately doesn't mean diddly when he has been incapable of leading his team on a long TD drive and struggles to consistently put 25+ points on the board and can virtually never put 30+ points.

Yep, that was against Hamilton I believe. Convinced the wife to let me watch in on our honeymoon.

Jyles had a horrible deep ball too. Any deep route along the sidelines and the ball ended up four rows into the stands.

5 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

It's because his boy Willy is benched. I'm ecstatic OTOH as Nicholls actually gives us a chance to win. We had nothing with Willy.

5 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

could be. Though hammer is supposed to contend this year and we are not and we were winless no one wants to be the team that gives up the first win to another team. see ott in the past.

Jyles had his moments, especially once he had Greg Carr to throw to. He was lights out in that one amazing OT game against BC, the one that Alex Brink started, the one that ended Casey Printers' career.  And he put up 40 points in a home game against Montreal that year -- but the Als put up 44. Total heartbreaker of a game, typical of the snakebit 2010 season.

He's a long long way from the worst QB we've watched here.

I'm not a huge fan of the Willy... but in fairness Nichols had much more protection then what Willy has had over the last 3 seasons.   

Nicholls managed the game,  didn't do anything special on his own but for the most part made the right decisions. 

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Willy... but in fairness Nichols had much more protection then what Willy has had over the last 3 seasons.   

Nicholls managed the game,  didn't do anything special on his own but for the most part made the right decisions. 

that he did. He protected the ball well when he had to. But 2 first downs in the 2nd quarter, 3 in the 3rd. 4 2 and outs in the 2nd half. Roughly 70-80 yards passing in the 2nd half. We benefited hugely from field position and turn overs. 

edit exact stats were 5/10 51 yards in the 2nd half. the 4 2 and outs in the 2nd half. and a bad time count penalty when we were driving the field.

Edited by wbbfan

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

that he did. He protected the ball well when he had to. But 2 first downs in the 2nd quarter, 3 in the 3rd. 4 2 and outs in the 2nd half. Roughly 70-80 yards passing in the 2nd half. We benefited hugely from field position and turn overs. 

edit exact stats were 5/10 51 yards in the 2nd half. the 4 2 and outs in the 2nd half. and a bad time count penalty when we were driving the field.

The second half certainly could have been better... but I would say his only major mistake last night was the pass that probably should have been a pick-six... he got lucky the defender dropped it...

6 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Field position was huge in the first half but the way Nichols was moving the ball then he was having success so his numbers could arguably have been better with a longer field. Not going to complain when we start every drive in opposition territory though.

I will give the O the benefit of the doubt of playing safe to protect the lead but it was a little concerning that they struggled on 1st down so much after having great success in the 1st half on 1st down. Seemed like we tried to stretch the field a lot on first down, which led to 2nd and long a lot.