OK, it IS Willy ...

IC Khari

It occurred to me that the team as a whole played better because they felt confident, after the first couple of plays, that this guy..Nichols...can get it done...I remember a lot of other starts when Willy was 2 and outing it for the most part of the first quarter and I'm sure it was disheartening for the rest of the club as it was lift when Nichols was in last night...To put it simply....this is a quarterback driven league...without it you are lost...This fundamental is undeniable and I'm sure has not been lost on the coaching staff and the Bomber faithful...Willy will have to take a back seat now because he COULDN'T perform to the calibre it takes to be a winner..Matt Nichols now has his chance and it appears he's going to make the most of it...

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Ah, of course.  Then your post makes complete sense...  its so weird that no one seems to do that anymore if its such a great strategy. Or maybe its a really stupid idea and everyone realized that teams should find a good QB and let him get some rhythm.

Toss up really.

Oh sure in an ideal world you have a great starter that takes all the reps because he's that good... but we don't have that guy, what we have are Willy and Nichols and maybe, just maybe looking at things that worked in the past can be a blueprint for things now. We know that both Willy and Nichols are capable of good play, but it appears that right now neither one is capable of doing it on a consistent basis, so why not platoon them? This idea that you have one guy and one guy only is a new one, that doesn't mean it's better. Trying to stick with one guy hasn't been working here for years, why not try something different? 

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I think at least one person calls in to the radio show every week asking why we don't run a 2 QB system

It's a worthwhile question. I know the coaches have their stock answers but if a one qb system isn't working.....

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Oh sure in an ideal world you have a great starter that takes all the reps because he's that good... but we don't have that guy, what we have are Willy and Nichols and maybe, just maybe looking at things that worked in the past can be a blueprint for things now. We know that both Willy and Nichols are capable of good play, but it appears that right now neither one is capable of doing it on a consistent basis, so why not platoon them? This idea that you have one guy and one guy only is a new one, that doesn't mean it's better. Trying to stick with one guy hasn't been working here for years, why not try something different? 

Probably because the only constant in all the years of failure is us, the fans. That and rarely does a coach want to be the guy to reinvent the wheel. Sooner to try the same thing over and over if it's conventional and universally accepted practice.

When has a 2 QB system worked recently?  I mean like guys sharing reps in the same game and not due to injury.  I think the level of preparation now is such that you can't really pull it off unless you have like an aged Dickenson or someone like that who can just step on the field and play.  Unless you find two carbon copies with the same skill sets.

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's a worthwhile question. I know the coaches have their stock answers but if a one qb system isn't working.....

i agree but, the money has to be split more or less equally between the two or it wouldn't really work.  IMO Kevin Glenn's incentive based contract is the best way to go, the more a QB plays, the more he earns.

2 hours ago, Nash00 said:

Yeah anything that was a signing bonus is gone, but future earnings are not guaranteed. I'm not sure if the amount in bonuses out there or not (it probably is) but we can always cut bait next year if there are better options available.

We all know Walters likes to spend in FA and if Willy isn't the guy then he's going to need some $$ to sign Logan Kilgore in a year or two ;)

James Franklin this coming February.  We won't be the only team after him; apparently Chris Jones really wants him in Hicksville.

15 hours ago, Goalie said:

People are making this to much about Willy vs Nichols. It's not that simple.  It's having an OL that establishes a run so you can pass. Without the OL and Harris Nichols isn't nearly as good as he was. We established the run so Esks had to respect that. 

haven't read the whole thread, so im sure its been mentioned, but there is a lot of room for willy vs nichols.  That one play that stands out for me is where nichols was about to get sacked, escaped and hit adams (I believe) down field while on the run. That play doesnt happen with willy,  at least the willy of late.  if willy does escape that pressure, guarantee he throws it 2 yards in front of him to harris, not looking at the other targets. 

Ive seen willy throw the little dump passes too often when there isnt even pressure yet, like he sees the Dline in front of the Oline and panics. I think composure is an obvious VS with our qbs atm

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

Willy or Nichols. To me it doesn't matter any longer. Win the damned game..and you can play some more. O'Shea has insisted on drew Willy as his starter from day 1 onwards. No changes or subbing. But now eyes have been opened, haven't they?

Paul Wiecek delivered this line -  "He’s your quarterback, not your wife. You’re allowed to sample the other merchandise."

Its okay to switch QBs. You don't have to abide by the #1 #2 thing. Let's play to win for the week.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Has seldom worked, but when it does you have 2 qbs who off set each other some how. One is more of a runner the other a pocket passer. Or with ray and maas. One had trouble starting games and the other closing games. Till ray took the job and maas warmed the bench.

Good game but I ain't gonna give them any medals just yet. When they string a couple of wins in a row and don't play like dirty ass at home I will give them a break. I will say that I was super pleased with Bond, Loffler and Fredericks. They really played well beyond my expectations. I was really concerned with Randle being out but Fredericks certainly filled the gap well.

39 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

Good game but I ain't gonna give them any medals just yet. When they string a couple of wins in a row and don't play like dirty ass at home I will give them a break. I will say that I was super pleased with Bond, Loffler and Fredericks. They really played well beyond my expectations. I was really concerned with Randle being out but Fredericks certainly filled the gap well.

Yeah have to contain optimism some what. Edm D is worse then our O has been. But there O is deadily which really makes what loffler and fredericks did soo much more impressive. I especially loved lofflers swagger. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah have to contain optimism some what. Edm D is worse then our O has been. But there O is deadily which really makes what loffler and fredericks did soo much more impressive. I especially loved lofflers swagger. 

Very true. There was a lot of good and I hope, as always it was not just a one off.

9 hours ago, Nash00 said:

Yeah anything that was a signing bonus is gone, but future earnings are not guaranteed. I'm not sure if the amount in bonuses out there or not (it probably is) but we can always cut bait next year if there are better options available.

We all know Walters likes to spend in FA and if Willy isn't the guy then he's going to need some $$ to sign Logan Kilgore in a year or two ;)

I say we trade Westerman for Logan Kilgore.  Straight up.