OK, it IS Willy ...

IC Khari

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thats the type of attitude that leads to long losing streaks. You dont often get that many turn overs and amazing returns on teams leaving you starting at center field all day/

NO game in the cfl is over at the half. One needs only look back to last week edm and ham to see that.

I'm not suggesting that MOS shouldn't be breaking down the 2nd half and making corrections, absolutely he should and he will. He isn't going to pat Nichols on the back and say he played a perfect game when he didn't. I'm saying as a fan, I look at it as we took advantage of our opportunities in the 1st half and protected the ball in the 2nd. The turnovers didn't just fall into our laps either, we have to make the plays when they come. You referenced earlier the dropped INT from Hamilton, well CJ Roberts didn't drop his chance and we scored. Loffler didn't drop his and we scored off that too, ditto the Cole forced fumble. Plays made by the D led to points by the offense.

Fan perception has no bearing on team performance, I'm fairly certain. ;)

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thats the type of attitude that leads to long losing streaks. You dont often get that many turn overs and amazing returns on teams leaving you starting at center field all day/

NO game in the cfl is over at the half. One needs only look back to last week edm and ham to see that.

The game was over. I wish we had more of a killer instinct, but Lapo was more concerned about running out the clock. I'll take 37 points any night. If Hamilton bothered showing up i'm sure our second half production would have been better.

Please read the following bolded. I agreed I wish the play calling in the second half was more aggressive. Yes no game is over in the CFL but Winnipeg never had to worry about Hamilton coming back. Point is Nichols took advantage of his opportunities in the first half when the game was ON THE LINE. 

I thought the play calling was kind of aggressive in the second half, i mean, if you watch it again, Nichols does try to make a lot of deep throws on first down... didn't connect on many of them at all tho, but the aggressiveness was still there, the execution tho wasn't. 

3 minutes ago, Nash00 said:

I'm not suggesting that MOS shouldn't be breaking down the 2nd half and making corrections, absolutely he should and he will. He isn't going to pat Nichols on the back and say he played a perfect game when he didn't. I'm saying as a fan, I look at it as we took advantage of our opportunities in the 1st half and protected the ball in the 2nd. The turnovers didn't just fall into our laps either, we have to make the plays when they come. You referenced earlier the dropped INT from Hamilton, well CJ Roberts didn't drop his chance and we scored. Loffler didn't drop his and we scored off that too, ditto the Cole forced fumble. Plays made by the D led to points by the offense.

Fan perception has no bearing on team performance, I'm fairly certain. ;)

Nichols 2nd half was one of the worst offensively weve had this year. The D and teams won us the game. 

should tell that too how many coaches have been fired and qbs run out of town in the years post dave ritchie. fans stop showing up like they have and suddenly pressure is hot and heavy on management and thats put off on coaches. And then down on players. 

We Didnt really protect the ball in the 2nd half though, nichols toss a pick 6 that was flat out dropped. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Nichols 2nd half was one of the worst offensively weve had this year. The D and teams won us the game. 

should tell that too how many coaches have been fired and qbs run out of town in the years post dave ritchie. fans stop showing up like they have and suddenly pressure is hot and heavy on management and thats put off on coaches. And then down on players. 

We Didnt really protect the ball in the 2nd half though, nichols toss a pick 6 that was flat out dropped. 

Fascinating. I wen't back to the post game thread from our first win over the Ticats and you were super positive and didn't breathe a word of the Hammer turnovers or points left on the field. Not a word.

4 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Please read the following bolded. I agreed I wish the play calling in the second half was more aggressive. Yes no game is over in the CFL but Winnipeg never had to worry about Hamilton coming back. Point is Nichols took advantage of his opportunities in the first half when the game was ON THE LINE. 

Any thing you say before but, doesnt count. Hammy had the exact same kind of come back last week, it is some thing we should have worried about. 

The game is on the line till the whistle is blown. 

The red zone production was still poor despite the 2 early tds. Nichols gets way too much credit for a game the teams and D won. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Again, he made the plays he needed to when the situation arose. We scored TD's on 2 of the first 3 drives. Game was over effectively at that point.

Nichols wasn't great in the 2nd half, he didn't need to be. He was very efficient in the first half, you can't really argue otherwise.

Good team win all around. Nichols was bad in the 2nd half and the D gave up 300+ yards to Masoli who was hot garbage all night. The teams were the real superstars.

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You better win a game when your D and Special Teams cause 6 turnovers and your 0 has none. 

weve won the turn over battle most of the season. But yes with that many, a pick 6 and a return for a td called back to the opponent 10 yard line and an average starting position of around center field you had better.

as others have said, it's really hard to gauge how much the offence has improved in a game like that. So many weird circumstances. That weather delay would screw with their entire game day routine. Plus, you're not going to see normal football in the second half with a 30+ point lead. That being said, in the first half Nichols was placing the ball exactly where it needed to be. Correct reads and right on the proper shoulder. Really good half. Second half the reads still seemed to be there but he wasn't putting the ball in the right place. Close, but not close enough. The bright side is, Nichols may not look like a QB who's going to single handedly win games, but he also doesn't look like he's going to lose them single handedly and frankly, that's more than we can say about Willy right now.

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Any thing you say before but, doesnt count. Hammy had the exact same kind of come back last week, it is some thing we should have worried about. 

The game is on the line till the whistle is blown. 

The red zone production was still poor despite the 2 early tds. Nichols gets way too much credit for a game the teams and D won. 

Do you know what the red zone is? They actually went 4/4 in the end zone including 3 touchdowns, and one field goal. Please stop this non sense of "leaving points" off the board. They were a hundred percent in the red zone with a 75 percent touchdown rate. Doesn't get much more efficient then that. 

Having been at the game, it was pretty clear to me that early in the 3rd, the team changed from attack mode into manage mode.  In my view this has little to do with "killer instinct".  It was simply "they're having trouble scoring so let's burn up the clock on O and make them grind hard when they have the ball."  And you know what?  It seems to have worked out pretty well.  They gave Hamilton a grand total of 11 points in the second half.  And that's 11 points when Hamilton would have been in full out "gotta get points" mode.  So as far as I'm concerned, it was a smart call.

And here's something else to consider.  A win is a win.  Doesn't matter if you blow out your opponent or you win on the last play of the game.  You still get the same 2 points.  So if anyone was expecting that the team would come out and try and score another 30+ points in the second half, give your head a shake.  They were going to play smart, burn up the clock and force Hamilton to play that 2nd half desperation game that we've had to play so often in the past.

Lastly, does it really matter if the D contributed more than the O?  Again, I don't care if we win because we've kicked 30 singles, or if the D gives us 5 TD and the O none.  As long as we find ways to win, I could care less how.  In fact, in my experience, that's often what separates good teams from the also rans.  A good team finds ways to win.  So maybe some people should stop worrying so much that the O didn't score enough in the second half, or that the D gave up too many yards.  The simple fact is we won, and the outcome was never in doubt 

So kudos to the Bombers.  We won and that's all that matters.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

Having been at the game, it was pretty clear to me that early in the 3rd, the team changed from attack mode into manage mode.  In my view this has little to do with "killer instinct".  It was simply "they're having trouble scoring so let's burn up the clock on O and make them grind hard when they have the ball."  And you know what?  It seems to have worked out pretty well.  They gave Hamilton a grand total of 11 points in the second half.  And that's 11 points when Hamilton would have been in full out "gotta get points" mode.  So as far as I'm concerned, it was a smart call.

And here's something else to consider.  A win is a win.  Doesn't matter if you blow out your opponent or you win on the last play of the game.  You still get the same 2 points.  So if anyone was expecting that the team would come out and try and score another 30+ points in the second half, give your head a shake.  They were going to play smart, burn up the clock and force Hamilton to play that 2nd half desperation game that we've had to play so often in the past.

Lastly, does it really matter if the D contributed more than the O?  Again, I don't care if we win because we've kicked 30 singles, or if the D gives us 5 TD and the O none.  As long as we find ways to win, I could care less how.  In fact, in my experience, that's often what separates good teams from the also rans.  A good team finds ways to win.  So maybe some people should stop worrying so much that the O didn't score enough in the second half, or that the D gave up too many yards.  The simple fact is we won, and the outcome was never in doubt 

So kudos to the Bombers.  We won and that's all that matters.

Unless that sort of  "lets play safe" attitude comes back to bite them in the butt against a better team.

WINNIPEG 1st possession 2nd half

Andrew Harris rush for 4 yards to the Wpg45. Tackled by Drake Nevis.
2nd & 6 WPG45    Matt Nichols incomplete pass.

WINNIPEG
1st & 10 WPG25    Matt Nichols incomplete pass intended for Thomas Mayo defensed by Quinton Pointer.
2nd & 10 WPG25    Matt Nichols pass to Clarence Denmark for 15 yards to the Wpg40. Tackled by Dominique Ellis.
1st & 10 WPG40    Andrew Harris rush for 9 yards to the Wpg49. Tackled by Courtney Stephen.
2nd & 1 WPG49    Andrew Harris rush for no gain to the Wpg49. Tackled by John Chick.
3rd & 1 WPG49    Matt Nichols rush for 2 yards to the Wpg51. Tackled by Simoni Lawrence.
1st & 10 WPG51    Andrew Harris rush for a loss of 3 yards to the Wpg48. Tackled by Travis Lee.
2nd & 13 WPG48    Matt Nichols incomplete pass intended for Rory Kohlert defensed by Travis Lee.

WINNIPEG
Matt Nichols pass to Clarence Denmark for 3 yards to the Wpg35. Tackled by Emanuel Davis. Penalty: Unnecessary Roughness on Winnipeg (Stanley Bryant) -15 yards.
2nd & 22 WPG20    Matt Nichols pass to Thomas Mayo for 5 yards to the Wpg25. Tackled by Dominique Ellis.

WINNIPEG
1st & 10 WPG35    Matt Nichols pass to Jace Davis for 14 yards to the Wpg49. Tackled by Courtney Stephen.
1st & 10 WPG49    Andrew Harris rush for 3 yards to the Wpg52. Tackled by Delano Johnson.
2nd & 7 WPG52    Matt Nichols incomplete pass intended for Kris Adams.

WINNIPEG

Matt Nichols incomplete pass intended for Kris Adams defensed by Quinton Pointer.
2nd & 10 WPG6    Matt Nichols incomplete pass.

WINNIPEG

Matt Nichols pass to Clarence Denmark for 15 yards to the Ham41. Tackled by Simoni Lawrence.
1st & 10 HAM41    Penalty: Time Count on Winnipeg (Matt Nichols) -5 yards.
1st & 15 HAM46    Matt Nichols pass to Kris Adams for 32 yards to the Ham14. Tackled by Quinton Pointer.
1st & 10 HAM14    Andrew Harris rush for 5 yards to the Ham9. Tackled by Larry Dean.
2nd & 5 HAM9    Andrew Harris rush for a loss of 2 yards to the Ham11. Tackled by John Chick.
3rd & 7 HAM11    Justin Medlock 19 yard field goal attempt is GOOD.

WINNIPEG

Andrew Harris rush for 2 yards to the Wpg38. Tackled by Ted Laurent.
2nd & 8 WPG38    Andrew Harris rush for 2 yards to the Wpg40. Tackled by Ted Laurent.

7 Possessions

Some runs, but still some passes mixed in. It seemed that a 34 point lead did somewhat temper the play calling and perhaps Hardrick's injury. There was also Bryant's roughing penalty that put us in a 'too long position', and a couple of drops, one being a long sideline pass that maybe should have had. I'm glad they did go back to it and it lead to a FG.

I guess you could say, a little of everything in the ineffective offence, including urgency?

Geeesh by reading the comments we could have won 68-0 and ppl would have complained we couldn't make it 70-0. I'm with WBBfanWest. 2pts is 2pts. The way I saw the second half was the D was letting them get some plays in getting downfield and when we needed it the D came up and stopped them. Basically letting the O rest a bit and killing the clock. There was never a moment in the second half where I felt we weren't going to win. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Geeesh by reading the comments we could have won 68-0 and ppl would have complained we couldn't make it 70-0. I'm with WBBfanWest. 2pts is 2pts. The way I saw the second half was the D was letting them get some plays in getting downfield and when we needed it the D came up and stopped them. Basically letting the O rest a bit and killing the clock. There was never a moment in the second half where I felt we weren't going to win. 

I know, this team hasn't won two games in a row like this for two years and people are getting picky about the offensive production in the second half of a late starting rainy,blowout  :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink: ...

30 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

I know, this team hasn't won two games in a row like this for two years and people are getting picky about the offensive production in the second half of a late starting rainy,blowout  :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink: ...

if willy had done the exact same thing in nichols spot every one would be singing the praises of the D and Sts and wanting willy run out of town. The D and teams played great and we got lucky. 

4 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Do you know what the red zone is? They actually went 4/4 in the end zone including 3 touchdowns, and one field goal. Please stop this non sense of "leaving points" off the board. They were a hundred percent in the red zone with a 75 percent touchdown rate. Doesn't get much more efficient then that. 

kicking a field goal when you start in field goal range is not red zone conversion.